Briggs& Stratton engine will not turn over

JimP2014

Threads
Okay, I know it's a Briggs& Stratton 14.5 horsepower OHV and currently it's sitting in a bed of poison. Ivy, so what I just planned on doing was just taking the cylinder head off. There's like six bolts and seeing if it matches up with what I currently have. I can't see any further things that could go wrong.

But I was just looking up a brand new cylinder head and it's a Briggs& Stratton 796201 is the part number for the 19.5 horsepower Briggs& Stratton OHV engine. So brand new. It's like maybe 200 bucks.

I plan on taking the cylinder head off the old Briggs& Stratton engine hopefully sometime today.

I don't want to mess around with tap set but thanks for thinking of that.

Jim
796026. Is the Briggs& Stratton part number 796026

dwzkd

Threads
If it looks like the existing head. I should fit right on. The same head is a replacement for 28P777 which is a 14hp briggs. Check valve lash while you have it out.

Intake Valve Clearance 0.003 - 0.005 in (0.08 - 0.13 mm)
Exhaust Valve Clearance 0.005 - 0.007 in (0.13 - 0.18 mm)

JimP2014

Threads
If it looks like the existing head. I should fit right on. The same head is a replacement for 28P777 which is a 14hp briggs. Check valve lash while you have it out.

Intake Valve Clearance 0.003 - 0.005 in (0.08 - 0.13 mm)
Exhaust Valve Clearance 0.005 - 0.007 in (0.13 - 0.18 mm)

Someone had asked about banging noises and I completely forgot to include the link from this morning when the spark plug blew out. But but this is from this morning there is no banging. It's only hunting and surging and then the spark plug blew out of the spark plug hole. But thanks for doing the research on that. I was pretty sure that the cylinder head was identical and then you confirmed it.

Jim

JimP2014

Threads

Someone had asked about banging noises and I completely forgot to include the link from this morning when the spark plug blew out. But but this is from this morning there is no banging. It's only hunting and surging and then the spark plug blew out of the spark plug hole. But thanks for doing the research on that. I was pretty sure that the cylinder head was identical and then you confirmed it.

Jim
I just went down to get that cylinder head and I realized the socket I have is too small for the bolts. So I have to think about that if the head of the bolt is larger and that is it? Or is the bolt completely different and something could go wrong with the existing short block especially with the threads?

dwzkd

Threads
I just went down to get that cylinder head and I realized the socket I have is too small for the bolts. So I have to think about that if the head of the bolt is larger and that is it? Or is the bolt completely different and something could go wrong with the existing short block especially with the threads?
Pull it and see. May be able to use bolts from existing engine.

billroy1

Threads
Okay, I know it's a Briggs& Stratton 14.5 horsepower OHV and currently it's sitting in a bed of poison. Ivy, so what I just planned on doing was just taking the cylinder head off. There's like six bolts and seeing if it matches up with what I currently have. I can't see any further things that could go wrong.

But I was just looking up a brand new cylinder head and it's a Briggs& Stratton 796201 is the part number for the 19.5 horsepower Briggs& Stratton OHV engine. So brand new. It's like maybe 200 bucks.

I plan on taking the cylinder head off the old Briggs& Stratton engine hopefully sometime today.

I don't want to mess around with tap set but thanks for thinking of that.

Jim
Hi Jim,
Now that you got this thing running I am starting to think maybe you have too much compression, I would test it again after you replace the cylinder head, Don't forget a new gasket, good luck. I cannot help you much more, I used to get poison ivy really bad so I totally avoid it now

JimP2014

Threads

Jim
I just went down to get that cylinder head and I realized the socket I have is too small for the bolts so
So I just removed 14.5 horsepower Briggs engine cylinder head and I rested it on top of the 19.5 horsepower Briggs engine and The old cylinder head seems to be too narrow.

Jim

JimP2014

Threads
Hi Jim,
Now that you got this thing running I am starting to think maybe you have too much compression, I would test it again after you replace the cylinder head, Don't forget a new gasket, good luck. I cannot help you much more, I used to get poison ivy really bad so I totally avoid it now
Well right now I don't have a cylinder head and I'm not going to try rethread the existing cylinder head but I can't tell you. Maybe about 7 days ago. I was worried about no compression and I ended up with about 85 psi for compression which I believe is on the low end. The old cylinder head that I just removed from a junk riding mower is probably too small to fit on the machine that I'm currently working on.

Jim

JimP2014

Threads
I try to find my previous post how how the old cylinder had was too large but the hole pattern Is correct. So the other one just has extra metal on one side for fins so I will see how the tractor runs when I install that older cylinder head which is from a 14.5 horsepower Briggs& Stratton OHV engine cylinder head.

Jim