Briggs& Stratton engine will not turn over

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the briggs flywheel tool the bottom nut is just used to keep the pull bolts from falling out of the puller. They are never tighten down on the flywheel. Should just thread the bolts through the flywheel enough to capture all the threads. Don't turn into the block or could do damage. After getting a good snug pull with the nuts above the puller, I wlll take a punch and stick through the center hole and then give it a good tap with a hammer to break the flywheel loose.

JimP2014

Threads
With the briggs flywheel tool the bottom nut is just used to keep the pull bolts from falling out of the puller. They are never tighten down on the flywheel. Should just thread the bolts through the flywheel enough to capture all the threads. Don't turn into the block or could do damage. After getting a good snug pull with the nuts above the puller, I wlll take a punch and stick through the center hole and then give it a good tap with a hammer to break the flywheel loose.
1000010044.jpg

I went outside to start over. I backed out the bolts and as I did the flywheel was loose. I was able to get it off when I was tightening down last night. There was no indication that I was doing anything productive, but the key towards the bottom of the screen has some damage from when I was hitting it with a screwdriver and the other end has a notch cut into it. I'm guessing this notch goes up so you can grab it with some grabber tool if need be?

Jim

JimP2014

Threads
View attachment 69137

I went outside to start over. I backed out the bolts and as I did the flywheel was loose. I was able to get it off when I was tightening down last night. There was no indication that I was doing anything productive, but the key towards the bottom of the screen has some damage from when I was hitting it with a screwdriver and the other end has a notch cut into it. I'm guessing this notch goes up so you can grab it with some grabber tool if need be?

Jim
In other words, when you see the notch point it towards the sky?

JimP2014

Threads
I was able to remove the flywheel. I have no idea where the post I just made ended up including pictures of flywheel keys. But the only question is about the notch cut into the flywheel key and the only reason I could see it being there in the first place is you can probably grab it and then position it between the crankshaft and the notch for the flywheel itself without losing the key someplace. So I'm guessing the notch points up and if that's true that would be a smart move on the engineers at Briggs and Stratton. I can't see any other reason for it?

Jim

JimP2014

Threads
View attachment 69137

Jim
Correction. I was not able to get it off last night. It was impossible to get it off last night every time I turned those nuts. Clockwise I expected something to break free and that never happened. That is what I was trying to say above. So at that point I couldn't figure out what was going on this morning. I did nothing more than say. Let's start over. I backed out the bolt and the nuts and the flywheel came free

mmoffitt

Threads
Awful banging hhhhhhhmmmmmmm? Sounds interesting!

kjonxx

Threads
May be the cam shaft ?

JimP2014

Threads
View attachment 69137

Jim
Correction. I was not able to get it off last night. It was impossible to get it off last night every time I turned
May be the cam shaft ?
I can only say this forum Is great and what I know is many of you. If you are standing right over this engine while it was running, you could probably figure it out instantly. I may have wasted like 3 weeks but that I don't know. However, today I'm hoping to get the flywheel secured I also would like to pass along stuffing paper towel down into the hole that is part of the crankshaft so I don't lose another flywheel key down there, that I plan on doing today.

And then start it up and see if I get hunting and surging if I get a lot of explosions coming from the exhaust area and also any banging.

While making videos with audio is great, I think being right there to hear things is the best way.

It would not surprise me if something internal to the engine is actually broken and without the expertise of listening for the correct things has certainly dragged this project out far longer than it should have.

I have contacted a small engine expert who does go out in the field and I'm hoping he has time where the only thing I really asked him to do was to listen to what's going on and tell me his thoughts.

Jim

oldntired55

Threads

Thank you very much for your assessment. That makes a lot of sense, especially the part about. Well, if the spark is at the spark plug then you can just rest assure it has nothing to do with all that safety stuff that is key. But beyond that, what you mentioned about compression and the other stuff is what I suppose I need to look at. I can only say that maybe 10 days ago there was an awful banging going on every time there was a rotation of the flywheel and I wonder if eventually that broke something don't know. But again I appreciate your help.

Jim
i just replaced a timing gear on crankshaft on a smaller 675 series briggs... had spark, key was ok... cam was out of time,,, just an idea

JimP2014

Threads
i just replaced a timing gear on crankshaft on a smaller 675 series briggs... had spark, key was ok... cam was out of time,,, just an idea
Thanks old and tired. So I just did a search on symptoms of a bad timing gear on a crankshaft for Briggs& Stratton engine or something very similar as a phrase.

And again, I'm not an engine mechanic and I could tell you there is no way in hell I could ever come up with that phrase with what I know about engines probably not in a billion years. So wow. Overall the internet is great, especially this forum and YouTube videos unless you know exactly what you're looking for because you know what the problem is in advance. There's a good chance you're not going to find what you're looking for, unless it's a simple problem, that's my conclusion.

But thanks again old and tired. I will keep that in mind.

Jim