Briggs& Stratton engine will not turn over

Mark H_NO

Threads
If you're using an inline spark tester, it does not test the plug. Joed said
"Keep in mind, the spark tester will tell you the whole ignition system is good or bad EXCEPT the spark plug."

The coil fires a very high voltage, which can light the tester, even if it's not grounded. Try a new plug.

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The only thing I mentioned that I failed to mention is maybe 10 days ago the fan that sits on top of the flywheel which is a piece of plastic. Basically those fins started breaking off and I thought that was strange but that must indicate something. It was in a test environment. Let's say no lawn cutting involved and they just broke off. I don't know what that means.

Jim

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you are using one of those LED blink spark testers they will give false positives. So if the plug has an internal short will still blink the light but won't actually create spark at the plug
So I have three brand new plugs and maybe I only swapped out two of them back and forth. They all light up, maybe even the third one but I haven't actually tested that one. It's still in the box it it meaning the spark plug tester looks like it has some metal coils inside a clear test tube and it looks like there's a real spark I don't know about. I think you mentioned digital L engine

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I completely forgot to mention I took the actual spark plug. Took it out of the spark plug hole. Attached it to the wire from the ignition coil and I touched the exhaust pipe. Just the tip and there was definitely spark and I figured that was a useless test. So I bought a spark plug tester

Mark H_NO

Threads
That looks like a normal spark tester. What you described is the definitive test for a plug. Sounds like you should have spark. Did you check that flywheel key?

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That looks like a normal spark tester. What you described is the definitive test for a plug. Sounds like you should have spark. Did you check that flywheel key?
Mark, I'm sorry I am not going back out. I should have mentioned that I'm going to start on that tomorrow, but since you brought it up I wonder because I don't use a flywheel puller and I had like a metal bar underneath the flywheel while I was tightening it if I broke something underneath the flywheel. So you have that coil and then you know who knows what I could have done so I use the pry bar you know obviously to keep the flywheel in one position while I tighten up the flywheel nut but the alignment was perfect so I'm going to try that out tomorrow and vaguely. Remember years ago I did nothing more than and put a flywheel back even though I really did nothing and it started up

Jim

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any of the testers that don't jump an actual gap will give false positives. The grounded spark plug can be more reliable than blink testers but can cause issues sometimes were they will spark outside the engine but not spark under compression.

I tend to use these for cases were I am working on an engine that maybe loosing spark due to high related damage to the coils

1719708140241.pngor for quick check were spark maybe questionable 1719708714466.png
But both will give false positives.

But use the Briggs tester or HEI for serious testing.

1719708230698.png

1719708925570.png

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mark, I'm sorry I am not going back out. I should have mentioned that I'm going to start on that tomorrow, but since you brought it up I wonder because I don't use a flywheel puller and I had like a metal bar underneath the flywheel while I was tightening it if I broke something underneath the flywheel. So you have that coil and then you know who knows what I could have done so I use the pry bar you know obviously to keep the flywheel in one position while I tighten up the flywheel nut but the alignment was perfect so I'm going to try that out tomorrow and vaguely. Remember years ago I did nothing more than and put a flywheel back even though I really did nothing and it started up

Jim
The stator coil and the flywheel magnets for the charging system are under or in the flywheel. If you broke those loose could of been the loud noise that you were describing when turning the flywheel.