B&S Vanguard fuel solenoid not available

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think you will be fine with us and the EPA, and most wouldn't consider the fuel solenoid part of the safety system, other than protecting your and your neighbors ears from the bang.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you finish mowing throttle down the turn off.
Don't leave it on low idle just strait down & turn off .
That should eliminate the after fire bang in the muffler .

SamB

Threads
When you finish mowing throttle down the turn off.
Don't leave it on low idle just strait down & turn off .
That should eliminate the after fire bang in the muffler .
Thanks,bertsmobile1,
I've had no 'backfire' issues at all. This mower has the magneto kill wire incorporated into the key switch,so maybe that has something to do with no backfiring. I do have other carbs with this problem solenoid valve,but is it really worth putting a known possible failure part back on the mower. One that isn't needed in the first place,imho.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Backfiring is raw fuel entering the hot muffler.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
BEcause engines run way too hot now days the mufflers run red hot inside, an some even have after burners in there.
Because the pin is snipped off the solenoid in those last 1/2 dozen revolutions before the engine comes to rest fuel is sucked in & blown out unburned into the muffler.
And because the engine is running slower, some fresh air will also get sucked into the muffler from the outside.
If the air fuel mix from the engine +the fresh air get to the flashover ratio inside the muffler and the muffler still has some red hot parts inside then the mixture will ignite.
Usually this is from 10 seconds to a minute after the engine has stopped so is termed "after fire" .
Now the after fire was a Godsend for the EPA because they could pretend the very expensive solenoid was there to do some good for the owner and not from pollution regulations.
Thus Rodney Redneck is not on line 24/7 trying to convince every one to "strike a blow for your freedom " and cut them off

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
New ETA on camshafts is 8/30/21
Even those Chinese AM camshaft are better than letting the grass get to be two foot tall. Other than having turn down the journals they seem to holding on the 4 engines I install them in but of course it only been 2-3 months of use. One did out last the customer.

SamB

Threads
Got cha! I do have several carbs with the solenoids that are intact,maybe I'll put one of them on and keep the 'snipped' one in reserve for when the intact one fails at the back of my acreage!
I do have one question though,is there any likely cause for these solenoid valves to fail?

Last edited:

SamB

Threads
The fuel solenoid (part 807744) has failed in my B&S Vanguard engine 303700 on a Countax mower.
No parts stockist that I have tried have any.
No more are expected until End Sept. There are none on Ebay.
Anyone got any advice/ideas please?
Snowman1,did you read what I did to finish my mowing job? Clip the tip until you can get the replacement part.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do have one question though,is there any likely cause for these solenoid valves to fail?
Yes they can fail. It will leave you scratching your head on if the carb is getting fuel internally. Snip the plunger off and reinstall. Move on with life.