B&S Vanguard fuel solenoid not available

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oh just great....I done had to install three poor quality 793880 aftermarket camshafts so far because the customer had to get their lawns mowed. I got another broken one in the shop now. I don't normally install more than one or two a year.

These aftermarkets don't fit well and require reworking the lower part to fit the camshaft bearing (.001 oversized), they are a little short (0.040" short)on the oil drive end, and the provided oil pump drive shaft will not fit either ( also .001 oversized).

Briggs has screw up in a major way in my opinion.
My backordered camshafts just went from pending to August 2 so maybe they will eventually ship them. We will see if they show up.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the update on the carb solenoid?

I snip the plunger off the solenoid and remove the wiring harness. Reinstall the now non working solenoid. Never have to worry about no starts again.

When finished with the mower, I shut off my fuel with a fuel cut off valve about 30 seconds till I'm done. Idle down for a few seconds and kill the engine.

slomo

Snowman1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have my mower back after 20 weeks. The repairers have inserted a screw in the hole and the mower now works albeit with a bang a few seconds after switching off unless I remember to close the throttle first. I can live with that until a replacement is available, estimated end of September. Thanks again for your help.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have my mower back after 20 weeks. The repairers have inserted a screw in the hole and the mower now works albeit with a bang a few seconds after switching off unless I remember to close the throttle first. I can live with that until a replacement is available, estimated end of September. Thanks again for your help.
Put a fuel shut off valve inline. Shut the fuel off about a minute prior to being finished mowing. This and the low revs, at that time only, will stop the muffler popping. Valves are ultra cheap. Can get a pack on sleezebay or amazon for cheap. Put them on every mower you can fit them on.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
My backordered camshafts just went from pending to August 2 so maybe they will eventually ship them. We will see if they show up.
Well, will today be the day i wonder..? ?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@Scrubcadet10 I have already checked twice today to see if anything had changed. Nothing yet.

Checked with another of my suppliers and they are now showing 49 in stock. But I am not paying list plus 30% with already two on backorder that if they show at my Briggs warehouse today will get dealer pricing.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Camshafts are still showing 8/2/21 and no shipment at this time. Good news is the pressure washer part from last September is shipping.
8/2/21 has come and gone and no camshafts and no update on ETA. Still shows 8/2/21

SamB

Threads
For the time being replace the solenoid with carburrettor bolt # 691511 and copper/ fiber or aluminium washer
When you shut down run the throttle to minimum then turn engine off .
Occasionally you might get a backfire from the muffler , it won't hurt anything other than your nerves .
Just this week,my mower,the Husqvarna 42175 ZTR,powered with a 19hp Intek B&S,,just up and quit ,at the back of the one acre MIL's yard! A quick diagnosis led me to believe no fuel. Fuel tank was full,fuel valve was on "ON",so what? The pesky anti-backfire solenoid carb valve,maybe? Turning the key on and off produced no 'click' from the solenoid,but it had juice to it.( Before reading on.. please be advised, I do not sugguest defeating ANY safety features at all!) I removed the solenoid,plugged it back into the harness,turned the key and no retraction of the pin valve. Warning:a non-recommended fix follows. I took my side cuts and cut the tip of the needle valve off. (Horrors) put everything back together and proceeded to mow without further ado for the next hour,or so. The ignition switch has the magneto kill switch incorporated into it so no issue with shutting down. Is this OK or am I in deep trouble with the EPA? :-D.