19 HP Kohler engine - on a Troy bilt 6605

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Provided you have taken the pulleys off from underneath the crank should pull strait out leaving the other 1/2 of the counterweight sitting on the bottom of the sump.
I never reuse the old oil seal because if they leak or split most people do not notice it till the last drop of oil has exited stage left and the engine siezes .
If you want to chance it then clean the crankshaft bright & shinny to avoid damaging the lip of the seal.
From memory there is a seal & gasket kit that comes with both seals ( same on this model ) which is a little cheaper than buying the lot individually.
Not sure how the bottom counter weight comes out because I have not done this exact model before.
There should be some sort of retainer to hold the little control rod on which is not shown in my parts books.
Once the crank is out you should be able to see what needs to be done.
Yours should be broken because if not the counterweight could not have moved that far sideways.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't tell exactly from the pic but with the top piece of counter weigt off you should be able to remove the connecting rod cap bolts, push the piston and rod out the top of the engine then pull the crankshaft out of the crankcase.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Oooh yes, remove the con rod that would be a good idea that I forgot to mention.
Really need to stop drinking this red when sitting at the computer.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oooh yes, remove the con rod that would be a good idea that I forgot to mention.
Really need to stop drinking this red when sitting at the computer.
Hey man, if it wasn't for my friend Sam Adams helping out i would never get anything done LOL

Kba9

Threads
I can't get the pulley off. No matter which way I turn the bolt it just spins but won't loosen

Kba9

Threads
I've taken the top con weight out. And the piston completely out. Just can't get things pulley off.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never mind. Everything is out. https://ibb.co/d0wHTPT
Kinda what i thought. Looks like the rod was seizing on the crank journal. Can you get a pic of the rod and cap bearing surfaces? If you know what you are doing you can clean the aluminum off the crank and fit a new rod. Was probably run low on oil.

Kba9

Threads
Kinda what i thought. Looks like the rod was seizing on the crank journal. Can you get a pic of the rod and cap bearing surfaces? If you know what you are doing you can clean the aluminum off the crank and fit a new rod. Was probably run low on oil.
Could you send me an example of a rod and cap bearing

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry i wasn't clear. The connecting rod where it rides against the crankshaft journal is the bearing surface and the same fo rhe rod cap. Automotive engines will have a separate bearing insert but most small engines just have the aluminum rod against the steel crankshaft. When an engine is run low on oil usually this is where you see a problem first. Overheats and transfers aluminum to the steel crankshaft. Connecting rod easy to swap out but crank can be expensive.