worn out cam preventing ignition, cam swap or engine swap

The Brain

Threads
  • / worn out cam preventing ignition, cam swap or engine swap
I do agree with Scrub and Bert, not your best bet buying cheap aftermarket parts. Just didn’t know how low you were thinking when you balked at Jack’s prices. Have found the OEM part available at HomeDepot for $67.00.
OK the cheap cam most likely from china is outtof consideration.

now I have the correct part # I will search, I assumme this HD part is still available a link would be a big $ saver. thanks Guys I'll be degreasing the snapper prepping engine removal.

edit: I ordered a starter for the snapper this.https://www.walmart.com/ip/DB-Electrical-SBS0004-Starter-For-Briggs-Stratton-11-To-25-Hp-Engines-497401-494198-494990-112563-BS-399169-BS-499521-75255-75255-A-410-22005-410-220/195508814

wasn't installed because I found out the starter requires a plastic gear. I'll need advice on the starter also

I think this could be the correct starter not sure if it's OK to post a link https://www.partswarehouse.com/Briggs-Stratton-Motor-Starter-BS-593934-p/bs-593934.htm

dam why is the correct starter 3 times the cost of simiair starters?
thanks Guys for support TB

Last edited:

The Brain

Threads

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yes, briggs shows 593934 as the correct starter for your engine.
Let me look at stens and see if they have a replacement starter to fit, Yep, Stens 435-300 will replace the OEM briggs. So you can search google for thet 435-300 number and price check.

The Brain

Threads
Yes, briggs shows 593934 as the correct starter for your engine.
Let me look at stens and see if they have a replacement starter to fit, Yep, Stens 435-300 will replace the OEM briggs. So you can search google for thet 435-300 number and price check.
hows this look https://www.ebay.com/i/274547789606?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28 thanks again for saving me $ you the man.undecided on rebuilt electrical parts like starters alternaters ect. for mower mite be fine for my car I only want new OEM or used OEM just not rebuilt.

I may have to pay someone to heat the pulley up to remove, hate to ruin a $35. pulley, is this heating method the only way to remove the pulley like can't I soak in liquid wrench then use a 3 ponged puller? the rest of the cam swap is doable for me. thanks again TB

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'd try PB Blaster or Liquid wrench first, if that gets it off, it's free.

The Brain

Threads
seams all the videos I watch (there's a bunch) the compression release attachments are always collected inside the sump cover. seams to me these tiny little parts bounceing around inside engine would be grinded up and seize the engine.

so this Guy choking carb can expect the broken pieces to stay collected in sump?
if yes the maybe just leave the pieces inside engine and then adding external compression release on briggs engine is this possiable.

do you remember the mid 70s Yamaha 500cc single cylinder thumpers they had a manuel compression release .

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Fix it right, replacing the cam is cheaper than eventually replacing the entire engine or tractor when metal gets in the wrong place.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK the cheap cam most likely from china is outtof consideration.

now I have the correct part # I will search, I assumme this HD part is still available a link would be a big $ saver. thanks Guys I'll be degreasing the snapper prepping engine removal.

edit: I ordered a starter for the snapper this.https://www.walmart.com/ip/DB-Electrical-SBS0004-Starter-For-Briggs-Stratton-11-To-25-Hp-Engines-497401-494198-494990-112563-BS-399169-BS-499521-75255-75255-A-410-22005-410-220/195508814

wasn't installed because I found out the starter requires a plastic gear. I'll need advice on the starter also

I think this could be the correct starter not sure if it's OK to post a link https://www.partswarehouse.com/Briggs-Stratton-Motor-Starter-BS-593934-p/bs-593934.htm

dam why is the correct starter 3 times the cost of simiair starters?
thanks Guys for support TB

The starter is a bog standard B & S starter
The gears are service parts and replacable
All that is important is the tooth count and from memory the steel plastic & alloy gears all have a different count.
The actual starters are all the same ( long , heavy duty & short , light duty )
The prices are different because they were bought as QC rejects or scrap then the vendor googled the part number to work out the price as they have no idea about what they are selling.
Next cheap starters are exactly the same as cheap cams, GARBAGE that LOOKS the same so will "fit" but will fall apart in a very short time and often take the wiring , solenoid alternator &/or rectifier with it when it fails .

THE TOOTH FAIRY & the MAGIC PUDDING are children's stories , they do not exist
or as dad used to say
"He who buys cheap pays thrice "

The Brain

Threads
The starter is a bog standard B & S starter
The gears are service parts and replacable
All that is important is the tooth count and from memory the steel plastic & alloy gears all have a different count.
The actual starters are all the same ( long , heavy duty & short , light duty )
The prices are different because they were bought as QC rejects or scrap then the vendor googled the part number to work out the price as they have no idea about what they are selling.
Next cheap starters are exactly the same as cheap cams, GARBAGE that LOOKS the same so will "fit" but will fall apart in a very short time and often take the wiring , solenoid alternator &/or rectifier with it when it fails .

THE TOOTH FAIRY & the MAGIC PUDDING are children's stories , they do not exist
or as dad used to say
"He who buys cheap pays thrice "
are you saying I could of used the walmart starter w/ the steel gears if they where the same # 0f teeth?
I really like youre daddys quote he is a wise man is OK I use it.TB

The Brain

Threads
what mite be interesting is disassemble clean out broken piece reassemble. then tap the cylinder head for a mauel compression release.reuse orginale cam minus the CR piece.

or clean it out reassemble and manually choke it. it mite be a stretch reaching backard while standing on brake seated.

I'll probably attempt disassembly in a week few weeks.while vistors are here.