worn out cam preventing ignition, cam swap or engine swap

The Brain

Threads
  • / worn out cam preventing ignition, cam swap or engine swap
got away w/ one more spring/summer however she died mid fall just when I got the bagger adjusted hate to have to rack 1/2 acre of leaves.

worn out cam preventing ignition the drag on the starter was to much the starter is officially dune this w/ battery at 12.6 VDC. I've been adjusting valves however I believe the cam lobe is so worn it won't hold adjustment.

orginale engine 2009 snapper 12.5hp intex .344cc 219907 0131BL 0864307A

possibilitys
1 new engine swap. $500.my snapper came w/ a 12.5 hp intex which is the correct amount of power like for overgrown grass, the engine I've picked is 1hp less any opinions.
the 12.5 hp isn't available new so next choice is 17hp but I'm not sure of it being a direct swap plus 17hp would be way to overkill for my 1/2 acre.

https://www.kohler-engine-parts.ope...ngine-21r8070072g1-115-gross-hp-intek-p-35864
there website states it replaces my orginal engine so I'm hopping it's a direct swap.
I assumme the pulley on the crank isn't included w/ new engine?
I've read that this pulley is difficult to remove and reuse?

2.cam swap + new starter $99. cam $50.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sna...QAw&biw=1024&bih=447#spd=11786278345877675913 would require a few special tools like
fly wheel puller/valve spring compressor.
I think a cam swap could be done because she runs strong so I assuume bottom end has lots of life.

3.brand new snapper mower is chinese nuf said.

I did se e a ebray used engine for $375. however the seller won't respond to a couple ?s so I pass on him.

I have the bagger adjusted works great. will I have to reuse my old muffler I've read the new catalictic converter inside muffler will burn the bags webbing is this true or false?
shoot3.jpgshoot3.jpg
I only attached one image not 2 as shown.

thanks for any advice TB

Last edited:

The Brain

Threads
thanks for the advice how did you find the pn for the originale cam? I've googled the model snapper couldn't find a cam pn.

I didn't know this was a known fail. jacks is kindof pricie how does this look https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XFKHT4...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I only mow my yard so the snapper isn't used but twice a month four times during fall/winter.

so it mite be worth purchasing the special tools required for cam swap.if I can get a few more years outof the snapper by then I hope to be living at a marina, it would be worth swapping a cam.

apparently I don't need to compress valves springs like this?

can I expect to see the broken cam pieces intact down in bottom of engine, I thinking w/ my luck there grinded up ready to sieze the engine.
Thanks again TB

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I typed in the engine model number you supplied
"orginal engine 2009 snapper 12.5hp intex .344cc 219907 0131BL 0864307A "

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I do agree with Scrub and Bert, not your best bet buying cheap aftermarket parts. Just didn’t know how low you were thinking when you balked at Jack’s prices. Have found the OEM part available at HomeDepot for $67.00.

The Brain

Threads
No special tools needed to swap out the cam. Your hardest part will be getting the pulley off the crankshaft. I’ve found that cam for less than $45.00. This manual may help if you decide to tackle the job. https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NaqjIxWV1ybEN0LWo3azl6OUU
yes you are right just regular tools which I have except for the torch to heat the pulley. or can I soak in liquid wrench? then use a 3 ponged puller?

I thought the tension on the valve spring had to be released to remove cam which required a compressor tool.

the snapper has been in Georgia now Alabama it's whole life it was gargarged. is the damp/wet cuttings responsible for the pulley to rust to crank shaft?
thanks so much for the repair manual link that's like a shop manuel. TB

The Brain

Threads
Honestly i wouldn't trust a $35 cam from an Unknown (reputation wise seller), as far as cam shafts go, Jacks has a good price.
there are a few OEM for sale on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Briggs-Stratton-84005207-Camshaft-/333633500155
you make alot of sense, initially I thought $100. for snapper cam kindof pricie for being orginale I guess I was expecting some lope and increase in performance for that $. I daily drive a 99 pontiac trans am 500HP vehicle. thanks so much for the ebay link just saved me $20.TB