Whats wrong with buying a Sears/Craftsman?

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: I do not have a problem with Craftsman branded mowers, either walk behind/riders. The problem I have is with their parts prices. Must people do not understand that Sears does not manufacture anything, they are just a re-seller. They use the manufactures part numbers and sell to us at one heck of a price markup. Where as most parts are available else where for half the cost. As far as their home service, I now have one customer that their Craftsman rider had a tranny problem. Home service came out and charged them right at 400$ to replace the drive belt and service the machine. this rider was out of warranty by one week. A few days later rider was grinding in the transaxle and would not move. I went down an checked it out, pinion shaft in transaxle was wobleing around. All the new belt done was put additional stress on the shaft. With is rider only being out of warranty one week, I told them to call Sears corporate and raise he_ _. One week later they received a check in the mail for amount of the service call and a brand new rider, they even got to keep the old one. Which they gave to me, I tried to buy it but they would not take any money, 50$ later, new pinion shaft kit and grease and its mowing mowing grass. The moral of my story, some of Sears home service techs are spot on with their diagnosis and service work. But the tech that worked on this mower evidently did not know his azz from a hole in the ground. Around here Sears has closed their walk in repair centers/parts sites.

Threads
:smile: I do not have a problem with Craftsman branded mowers, either walk behind/riders. The problem I have is with their parts prices. Must people do not understand that Sears does not manufacture anything, they are just a re-seller. They use the manufactures part numbers and sell to us at one heck of a price markup. Where as most parts are available else where for half the cost. As far as their home service, I now have one customer that their Craftsman rider had a tranny problem. Home service came out and charged them right at 400$ to replace the drive belt and service the machine. this rider was out of warranty by one week. A few days later rider was grinding in the transaxle and would not move. I went down an checked it out, pinion shaft in transaxle was wobleing around. All the new belt done was put additional stress on the shaft. With is rider only being out of warranty one week, I told them to call Sears corporate and raise he_ _. One week later they received a check in the mail for amount of the service call and a brand new rider, they even got to keep the old one. Which they gave to me, I tried to buy it but they would not take any money, 50$ later, new pinion shaft kit and grease and its mowing mowing grass. The moral of my story, some of Sears home service techs are spot on with their diagnosis and service work. But the tech that worked on this mower evidently did not know his azz from a hole in the ground. Around here Sears has closed their walk in repair centers/parts sites.

Yep the same here I have 2 ys4500 tractors 1 24hp 54" cut (390 hrs), and 1 24hp 46" cut(170 hrs), and if I need parts I order them online. They closed all the parts, and service centers within 60 miles here but with a little research you can get the parts alot cheaper.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
:thumbsup: Nothing wrong with my Sears Craftsman experiences as the service I have received in the past has been superb and I have a Sears parts and discount rebuilt merchandise store within a mile of my house. Over the years I have purchased a lot of their products. They have always stood behind their product for me as their message was "Satisfaction guaranteed". Also very easy to get parts online as long as you know the model number which is clearly stated on all their products. They probably are one of the largest retailers for the homeowner over many years and the squeaky wheel is always the loudest before it receives the grease.

midnite-rider-albums-ed-s-equipment-picture7175-1984-sears-craftsman-lt11-36.jpg

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile:midnite rider, That is a good looking LT 11-36/38, not to many of those around in that good of condition. I to have purchased alot of parts and rebuilt equipment from their parts and rebuilt center when they were in the area (long closed). On the average home owner, most of them are lucky to get their equipment started, let alone find the model number and try to buy parts/ service their equipment.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
:smile:midnite rider, That is a good looking LT 11-36/38, not to many of those around in that good of condition. I to have purchased alot of parts and rebuilt equipment from their parts and rebuilt center when they were in the area (long closed). On the average home owner, most of them are lucky to get their equipment started, let alone find the model number and try to buy parts/ service their equipment.

Yea Buckshot, you are right. Most people are pretty helpless and don't have a clue when it comes to preventive maintenance much less repair. We live in a throw away society now a days. Lucky for us, for that is where we come in, being as how I like the old stuff. :biggrin::biggrin:

Threads
Mine has always been pretty reliable with the normal repair here, and there from wear.

Buckshot 1

Threads
Yea Buckshot, you are right. Most people are pretty helpless and don't have a clue when it comes to preventive maintenance much less repair. We live in a throw away society now a days. Lucky for us, for that is where we come in, being as how I like the old stuff. :biggrin::biggrin:
:smile: Most of my repair/service is on older equipment. As in this day and age, most people can not afford to buy the newer less expensive equipment. Wether it be an LT/walk behind mower. In my opinion, the older equipment is built a heck of a lot better than this Bubbly hooded new equipment. But there is some older equipment that people drag to my shop that have given up the ghost. No amount of time/parts will bring them back to useable.

harryset

Threads
Jumping in here late as I'm a new member.

My answer is a definite, resounding "NOTHING", not a darn thing wrong with Craftsman mower/tractors. Parts prices and availability are a bit of a problem, but I find it easy to locate most of what I need on the online catalogs, even use the breakdowns for troubleshooting purposes.

I have had two in the past 20 years, an 18hp mower, that doubled as a hauler for brush and small logs, pulling the kids on sleds all winter etc. My other is a big green 24hp garden tractor that I have beat the heck out of. I mowed my large property from woods down to lawn over the years, hauled brush, medium to large log hauling out of the woods and heavy snow blowing. I have had my share of problems with it, and it has caused me some aggravation, but nothing the others aren't experiencing with other brand/models.

My machines have been put through stuff above and beyond anything the manufacture would allow.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only one beef with my 2004 DYT 48-the Intek 24. Everything else works well. Be careful of engine choice.

tee3

Threads
I own a sears/craftman garden rototiller that was purchased in 1983. I have replaced the belts two times and changed the oil once a year. NEVER any problem, so they do make some good equipment. (I do change the plug once in a while)