WHAT BRAND OF OIL FOR THE HYDRO-GEARS IN AN "IS 700Z"

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / WHAT BRAND OF OIL FOR THE HYDRO-GEARS IN AN "IS 700Z"
oil shear is a funny subject
People invisage these :long chain: molecules as being like a hand full of straw passing through a set of gears & getting chopped up.
Firstly a very loooong molecule might be a couple of nanno meters
The space between gears is around 1000 times bigger than the length of the molecules.
Heat alone will cause the ends of the molecules to break off.
For decades we have been fighting the urban myth that gear pumps chop up multi grade oils while piston pumps don't

loneryder

Threads
Slomo, note that Hydrogear lists the cSt at 120 celsius. At 100, this would translate to a higher cSt, so
you cannot directly compare the @100 and @120 values. It is a high shear, high temperature application.

Hydros may run as high as 150 celsius, so the heavy, high viscosity 20w50 motor oil they call out is actually required.
Going to an even higher viscosity such as somethingw60 would sacrifice cooling efficiency.

They recommend motor oil instead of the even higher viscosity gear oil, because of the typically high temp environment.
(Gear oil could be something like 75w90)
I think they reccomend it because it is readily available. What about using 20-50 motorcycle oil which is high in zinc and phos.??

coder

Threads
Motorcycle oil may be OK. I ended up not going for it, because I am worried about friction mods to work better with the
typical wet clutch. The gist seems to be to make the oil a bit less slippery, which is not particularly useful for the Hydros.
I felt that was a relevant difference, but maybe I worry about nothing there...

Maybe I give the manufacturer too much credit for brains and caring, but I thought if "20w50 motorcycle oil" was the best answer,
it would have been easy enough for them to mention it.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Personally I would think a hydraulic fluid at an SAE30 is fine. It meets the cst viscosity value of 9.0 at 110C. Also meets it at 100C which cst is measured at. No need to reinvent the wheel with a super thick 20w-50 car oil.

"This is what Hydro-Gear calls for:
"Typically, an engine oil with a minimum rating
of 9.0 cSt (55 SUS) at 230° F (110° C) and an
API classification of SL is recommended"

slomo

SirMowzalot

Threads
I prefer Amsoil products whenever possible. So being that I need to pick up some oil for the trans, I sent an email off to Hydro-Gear asking about any support or warranty implications if I use this. https://www.amsoil.com/p/20w-50-synthetic-hydrostatic-transmission-fluid-ahf/

When I get a response from them I'll reach out to Ferris to ensure they're both on the same page. Either way I'll follow up here.

Ron3

Threads
Now this is an exercise in over thinking. Lol

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually it is good to know for us shop owners that prefer the synthetics over conventional oils as the synthetics have higher operating temperatures and low breakdown rates. But of every equipment OEM will use the cheapest oil they can get by with. Nearly every Tuff Torq here has 20W50 conventional oil in them until I go inside one then they get the Tuff Torq premium 15W50 Synthetic installed.

Plus with our Summer temps rising every year lately we need to adjust our type of oil usage.

SirMowzalot

Threads
Actually it is good to know for us shop owners that prefer the synthetics over conventional oils as the synthetics have higher operating temperatures and low breakdown rates. But of every equipment OEM will use the cheapest oil they can get by with. Nearly every Tuff Torq here has 20W50 conventional oil in them until I go inside one then they get the Tuff Torq premium 15W50 Synthetic installed.

Plus with our Summer temps rising every year lately we need to adjust our type of oil usage.
So I have yet to encounter a shop in my area that I would do business with. I guess it's the way I came up with respect to working on cars. I was taught by folks that one might call extremists from a very early age. I was putting cars on lifts at 8 years old, lol, which now that I think about it was a little insane but the guys teaching me knew where I was and when. I installed a car stereo in my mom's car at age 6 all because I watched someone do it that explained everything to me as they went. At age 7 my mom's car wouldn't start one winter morning, so she called my uncle down the block. She told him I was outside under the hood. He said "Give him a minute". I propped the choke flap open with a screwdriver and started it right up. I was also taught to wipe down my tools every day, and put them back in the box where they belong. Then wipe down any work areas because grease doesn't evaporate. I briefly worked in the field and realized there just wasn't enough money in it. So I moved on. But I still practice the same things I was taught, and unfortunately that created expectations from others that often just aren't there. So when I visited the local shops it was mostly walking in, looking around, and running like hell. Either I'd see a complete mess, low end consumables in the shop destined for customer machines, or just general disarray.

YOU sound like you have a shop I'd love to send my equipment to, so I can do others things. Sure enough, all I see for you is "Torland". My guess and luck probably means that's Scotland, but I know for sure it's unfortunately nowhere near here. That's too bad. I'm never gonna get a weekend off, lol.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That means I prefer to just deal the locals when it comes to repairs and not have a lot folks just wasting my time. Here on Pluto I don't get much in the line of out of the area visitors. I do have one fellow tech out Huntsville that use to come by for technical help but I haven't seen him in a long time so I can assume doing fine on his own now.

Plus my shop is a mess in more than one way. I got young chickens staying in it until they are old enough to join the grown ones. I just don't know how the hen survived three week out in the open sitting on the eggs. She hid out on me. I just lost three chickens in the roost because of a raccoon breaking into the building. One of them was my biggest pet rooster which I had to finish killing the next morning. Not a task I wanted to do but it was necessary to prevent a horrible suffering death.

Plus nearly all my work is outdoors as I use my shop for tools and parts storage. I even got parts stored in my house right now due a failed storage room. Some idiot put the tin roof on it backwards and I didn't know it when I brought the place so it has ruin the whole area as the attic was insulated. A complete rebuild is in order but I be going back with blocks, concrete floor; but the same type roof, just this time I do it myself. Getting a little rough at 62 as I slowed down a little now.

Strange though that I have one customer from Florence coming to the shop. Apparently no good shop over there either. Now that is nearly 60+ miles away but he got farm work in my area so he just comes when he is in the area.

As for taking care of your tools it is important as if you make your living with them they be in good shape and you know where they are hiding.;) It not fun when you got to hunt down your tools especially the custom ones. The main thing is don't loan your tools out as it is usually the very ones you need for the next job and they have a bad habit of not coming back.

As for getting weekends off I don't get much off either that is why my yard looks like a hay field as I only got Sundays off and there is a lot to get done even when it is raining. I ended up having to soup up my mower so I can cut the tall grass. 42 cut with a 21 hp (was a 16.5 hp) and upgrade the deck belt from a 1/2 to 5/8 belt. Just keep burning up the 1/2 belts. But at least just goes through about anything I throw at it now.

SirMowzalot

Threads
That means I prefer to just deal the locals when it comes to repairs and not have a lot folks just wasting my time. Here on Pluto I don't get much in the line of out of the area visitors. I do have one fellow tech out Huntsville that use to come by for technical help but I haven't seen him in a long time so I can assume doing fine on his own now.

Plus my shop is a mess in more than one way. I got young chickens staying in it until they are old enough to join the grown ones. I just don't know how the hen survived three week out in the open sitting on the eggs. She hid out on me. I just lost three chickens in the roost because of a raccoon breaking into the building. One of them was my biggest pet rooster which I had to finish killing the next morning. Not a task I wanted to do but it was necessary to prevent a horrible suffering death.

Plus nearly all my work is outdoors as I use my shop for tools and parts storage. I even got parts stored in my house right now due a failed storage room. Some idiot put the tin roof on it backwards and I didn't know it when I brought the place so it has ruin the whole area as the attic was insulated. A complete rebuild is in order but I be going back with blocks, concrete floor; but the same type roof, just this time I do it myself. Getting a little rough at 62 as I slowed down a little now.

Strange though that I have one customer from Florence coming to the shop. Apparently no good shop over there either. Now that is nearly 60+ miles away but he got farm work in my area so he just comes when he is in the area.

As for taking care of your tools it is important as if you make your living with them they be in good shape and you know where they are hiding.;) It not fun when you got to hunt down your tools especially the custom ones. The main thing is don't loan your tools out as it is usually the very ones you need for the next job and they have a bad habit of not coming back.

As for getting weekends off I don't get much off either that is why my yard looks like a hay field as I only got Sundays off and there is a lot to get done even when it is raining. I ended up having to soup up my mower so I can cut the tall grass. 42 cut with a 21 hp (was a 16.5 hp) and upgrade the deck belt from a 1/2 to 5/8 belt. Just keep burning up the 1/2 belts. But at least just goes through about anything I throw at it now.
Well, I tried to dress it up as best I could for an online forum. Because saying things like "Halfwit sixth grade dropouts with a drawer in their toolbox dedicated to various low-end narcotics" would have been a little impolite, and probably too spot on for most people's tastes. But hey, I never was all that great at keeping my observations to myself. Ya got me. I just don't have any respect for MOST people that do this work professionally. But the better folks are definitely the exception to one hell of a sad rule. Hell when I called the Ferris support department some weeks ago I ALMOST ASKED the guy that answered if his middle name was Gomer. But hey, it was either say "SHAZAM SHAZAM" and hang up, or keep the warranty going as long as possible. We all have difficult choices to make.

Last edited: