Welcome to the Electric & Battery Operated Equipment Forum!

MowerMike

Threads
  • / Welcome to the Electric & Battery Operated Equipment Forum!
I'm considering the B&D SPCM1936, Worx WG789, and now the Greenworks 25272. All are self propelled. I had a Toro the lasted for 20+ yrs. Durability is my concern as well as routine service after the sale. I usually have to bag because I never had a mulching mower (blade?). My lawn guy is probably gone in the next few weeks. He uses a riding, swivel handle kind f mower that stripes.

What has been your experience with the Greenworks? Well made or not? I don't a mower where I'm pushing and bend the arms ( I did that on the Toro when I tried to adjust the height). Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. --Augi

Welcome to LMF. Out of those three choices I'd recommend the B&D SPCM1936 because of best customer support and spare parts availability. Greenworks is terrible with customer support and parts are hard to find. Also, the Greenworks is a single speed self-propel, whereas the B&D and WORX are variable speed. WORX is also a good product, but you will find servicing it to be more difficult, since it is rarely sold through dealers. Quality is about the same on all three brands, and they are all made in China.

Augi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to LMF. Out of those three choices I'd recommend the B&D SPCM1936 because of best customer support and spare parts availability. Greenworks is terrible with customer support and parts are hard to find. Also, the Greenworks is a single speed self-propel, whereas the B&D and WORX are variable speed. WORX is also a good product, but you will find servicing it to be more difficult, since it is rarely sold through dealers. Quality is about the same on all three brands, and they are all made in China.

Thanks. I need to make a decision soon. Initially, I check out Consumer Reports and it had the B&D self-propelled over the Worx. Repair service was another consideration. So thanks for those tips.

Another concern, however, was buying "old technology." the B&D uses a lead acid battery verses the 40v lithion battery Greenworks would over not to mention able to interchange with other tools. In addition, I wondered how long the latch to the battery in the B& D would last before it got too loose to close tightly. I looked at that model at Lowes. It's plastic on plastic. And finally, a minor point perhaps, the B&D's handle seems like it would be awkward to hold for long periods of time with its two bails to keep compressed and held to the handle. Thoughts? Thanks for the welcome. I'm much obliged. --Augi

MowerMike

Threads
Thanks. I need to make a decision soon. Initially, I check out Consumer Reports and it had the B&D self-propelled over the Worx. Repair service was another consideration. So thanks for those tips.

Another concern, however, was buying "old technology." the B&D uses a lead acid battery verses the 40v lithion battery Greenworks would over not to mention able to interchange with other tools. In addition, I wondered how long the latch to the battery in the B& D would last before it got too loose to close tightly. I looked at that model at Lowes. It's plastic on plastic. And finally, a minor point perhaps, the B&D's handle seems like it would be awkward to hold for long periods of time with its two bails to keep compressed and held to the handle. Thoughts? Thanks for the welcome. I'm much obliged. --Augi

The Greenworks self-propel model 25272 that you listed uses a 36 volt SLA (sealed lead acid) battery, which is the same old technology used in the B&D and WORX. The Greenworks model 25302 uses the 40 volt Li-Ion battery, and that's model I own. You can only buy it at Lowe's, and it is not self-propel, which is what you said you wanted. However, it is much lighter that the mowers with the SLA batteries, so it is quite easy to push. Again, if you buy a Greenworks and need to get a replacement part like a new blade, you will have a tough time finding one. I'm happy with my Greenworks model 25302, but am also aware of the problems with their customer service, which seems to be important to you.

Augi

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Greenworks self-propel model 25272 that you listed uses a 36 volt SLA (sealed lead acid) battery, which is the same old technology used in the B&D and WORX. The Greenworks model 25302 uses the 40 volt Li-Ion battery, and that's model I own. You can only buy it at Lowe's, and it is not self-propel, which is what you said you wanted. However, it is much lighter that the mowers with the SLA batteries, so it is quite easy to push. Again, if you buy a Greenworks and need to get a replacement part like a new blade, you will have a tough time finding one. I'm happy with my Greenworks model 25302, but am also aware of the problems with their customer service, which seems to be important to you.

Again, good info to know. My local Lowes had your model of Greenworks on display. It was extremely light. Even with the bagger full, I don't think it would be a problem to mow my1/4 lawn (sans hills). Deep down inside I'm attracted to Greenworks: it's sexy, it's light. 20" vs 19" cut, new technology with the battery, battery is interchangeable with other lawn tools, full battery power vs. faded battery power; and quicker charging battery than lead acid battery.

I mentioned to the Lowes rep that Consumer Reports didn't have it listed. HIs response was that CR is a year behind in its reviews so your mower wouldn't be in there. The only negatives that I could see is that the battery compartments have lids that appear that they would crack as time moves on, but more importantly, the spring hinges looked a little too flimsy for constant use. The other is that what good would the mower be if (for whatever reason) one of the two blades broke down? Hmmm. Help me think it this one out. No, I'm not being pessimistic, just trying to make the best judgement possible.

Yes, I'm concerned about service after the sale. The service I hope would be just having someone sharpen and balance the blades. You sound like you know your way around a mower and probably can do your own repair work (engines too?). Thanks. --Augi

MowerMike

Threads
The only negatives that I could see is that the battery compartments have lids that appear that they would crack as time moves on, but more importantly, the spring hinges looked a little too flimsy for constant use. The other is that what good would the mower be if (for whatever reason) one of the two blades broke down? Hmmm. Help me think it this one out. No, I'm not being pessimistic, just trying to make the best judgement possible.

Yes, I'm concerned about service after the sale. The service I hope would be just having someone sharpen and balance the blades. You sound like you know your way around a mower and probably can do your own repair work (engines too?). Thanks. --Augi

Don't worry about the battery covers. They are there just to keep dust out of the battery compartments and they snap closed at the back, so the springs are not needed anyway. In fact, I plan on removing the springs, because they get in the way when installing or removing the batteries. Better to worry that one of the blades is damaged from hitting a rock or stump, as replacements are not available and may never be.

As to blade sharpening, I do that myself using a Dremel tool with a blade sharpening attachment that allows me to sharpen the blades w/o removing them from the mower. I remove such a miniscule amount of material during sharpening that balancing is unnecessary. Yes, I maintain my gas engines and even rebuild them when needed. The good thing about electric mowers is that they do not require engine maintenance.

dave-m

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, new guy here. I found this site while searching for a new cordless mower. I have a small yard, approximately 1500 sqft that I presently cut with a Scotts Classic reel mower. It's an easy job but I don't like the job that a reel mower does. It can't get close enough around the planters and there's always lots of stragglers it seems. I'm after that nice even carpet of lush green lawn.

MowerMike

Threads
Hi all, new guy here. I found this site while searching for a new cordless mower. I have a small yard, approximately 1500 sqft that I presently cut with a Scotts Classic reel mower. It's an easy job but I don't like the job that a reel mower does. It can't get close enough around the planters and there's always lots of stragglers it seems. I'm after that nice even carpet of lush green lawn.

Welcome to the forum.

I'd recommend the Greenworks 20" Twin Blade mower that uses Li-Ion batteries and does an excellent job of edging, due to the deck extending beyond the wheels. It will make quick work of your small 1500 ft^2 lawn. You should be able to buy one through Canadian Tire. For more details, check out this thread:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/elect...-blade-li-ion-battery-powered-lawn-mower.html

dave-m

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to the forum.

I'd recommend the Greenworks 20" Twin Blade mower that uses Li-Ion batteries and does an excellent job of edging, due to the deck extending beyond the wheels. It will make quick work of your small 1500 ft^2 lawn. You should be able to buy one through Canadian Tire. For more details, check out this thread:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/elect...-blade-li-ion-battery-powered-lawn-mower.html

Thanks Mike, I had a good look through these forums before I posted and figured it would only be a few minutes before you'd recommend this one. Greenworks should pay you commission!

I see Canadian Tire offers a 2 year exchange warranty on the batteries and 4 years on the mower. That's pretty good. I think I'll check one out today.

Are there any "runner's up" in this category?

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
Are there any "runner's up" in this category?

At the present time when it comes to Li-Ion battery powered mowers the choices are pretty slim. I suppose given the small size of your lawn you could get by with the 15" Recharge Mower or Stihl models, but they are extremely pricey.

dnz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all

Dominic here. I never have much luck with my lawn equipment (it always seems to die on me) and true to form my new second-hand electric lawnmower has just thrown its belt and I'm looking for help on how to access it. (I'll post in the repair forum.)

Cheers