Export thread

Warm weather

reynoldston

reynoldston

Here in upper NY the weather sure has been unreal. Today its calling for temperatures in the low 70's. We had no plowable snow so far. I just know it wouldn't last but sure hoping. I may even have a nice December motorcycle ride today seeing they haven't needed to salt the roads yet.

M

Mikel1

Yeah, mid 70's here over the weekend and again today. Had to turn the AC back on.
Since your in NY enjoy it while you can.:cool:

jmurray01

jmurray01

It has been above 10*C/50*F here in Scotland for the past few days, even had to open the window in the car yesterday! AT 18:00!!

Somehow I doubt we'll be having a white Christmas. Kind of irritates me after spending quite a lot of money on winter tyres for the car...

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Same here! I've havn't seen this in a while if not ever. No snow. If there is, it is a small coat and melts. Rather warm also. In between 0-10 C. We don't hit freezing point at night neither. I am enjoying this!

reynoldston

reynoldston

Here in NY it went down into the mid 20'sF last night. It was even cold enough to lite a wood fire. But they are calling for weather into the 50'sF for Christmas week. Just as long as I don't have to drive in or move snow its OK with me. Them new snow tires are doing just fine on bare roads here in NY, don't know about Scotland's roads. I know some people put studs in their tires and that isn't the best thing for bare roads.

R

Rivets

Not much different here, but did get down in the teens last night, wind chill in the single digits. Haven't seen enough snow to keep me working, so got layed off a month early this year. Just part time so I knew it was coming, will now be able to get Christmas shopping done before the 23rd. Unless we get a lot of snow, won't go back to work until March. I'm a cold weather person, wife wants to go South this year with the extra time. Don't know if I can handle hot weather in January. Praying for cold and snow so I don't have to give in. Then I will be able to go ice fishing and snow shoeing. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all who still like me, Bah Humbug to all others.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Didn't know you did snow removal Rivets.

Merry Christmas to you to and all the other members!

R

Rivets

Only remove it from mine and the neighbors driveway. I fix the units for those who don't know how to use them properly.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Ahh ok I get it.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

It's been in the 60's a lot of the week. Today it's not getting out of the 30's with wind chills in the 20's. Tonight it will get down to around 24 degrees. But then back into the 60's for Christmas Eve. It's been a weird December for sure!! No snow here, yet, and none in the forecast.

reynoldston

reynoldston

It's been in the 60's a lot of the week. Today it's not getting out of the 30's with wind chills in the 20's. Tonight it will get down to around 24 degrees. But then back into the 60's for Christmas Eve. It's been a weird December for sure!! No snow here, yet, and none in the forecast.

Sound like your weather and ours is running about the same. Just maybe we can send all our cold weather and snow to Rivets this winter. I do agree with one thing and that is not going down south for the winter. Everything I see about down south looks like a mad house of traffic, fast food restaurants or how many miles you can petal a bicycle in a days time, no thank you.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Sound like your weather and ours is running about the same. Just maybe we can send all our cold weather and snow to Rivets this winter. I do agree with one thing and that is not going down south for the winter. Everything I see about down south looks like a mad house of traffic, fast food restaurants or how many miles you can petal a bicycle in a days time, no thank you.

I'd be perfectly happy if the snow stayed away, also. I'm not a huge fan of snow removal. The first storm or two is nice, but then after that it gets old. But you can't beat the feeling of after you snowblow driveways all day and you get to sit down in the warmth and relax. :thumbsup:

reynoldston

reynoldston

I'd be perfectly happy if the snow stayed away, also. I'm not a huge fan of snow removal. The first storm or two is nice, but then after that it gets old. But you can't beat the feeling of after you snowblow driveways all day and you get to sit down in the warmth and relax. :thumbsup:

I find that plowing snow is much faster then blowing snow. Last year was the first year I started to plow the snow till the snow got too deep and the snow banks got too high. Then I got the snowblower out to clean up everything so I could use the plow more. I only had to get the snowblower out a couple of times last snow season. We get our snow storms off of Lake Ontario so that means we can get hit hard with snow when it dose come.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I find that plowing snow is much faster then blowing snow. Last year was the first year I started to plow the snow till the snow got too deep and the snow banks got too high. Then I got the snowblower out to clean up everything so I could use the plow more. I only had to get the snowblower out a couple of times last snow season. We get our snow storms off of Lake Ontario so that means we can get hit hard with snow when it dose come.

Yeah I believe you that plowing is faster. A lot of the time I have to go on the slowest or second slowest speed the snowblower has, just so it can manage the deep snow. Although it's probably not good for a 2-stage snowblower, I have the scraper bar essentially touching the ground so I can just get the majority of the snow off during the first pass, and then after I'm done just go back at the fastest speed the snowblower has to make it perfectly snow-free. That way I don't have to shovel at all, except for some walkways.

Weather this year can't make up it's mind. Looks like a rainy Christmas predicted, but still had to mow grass today.

Carscw

Carscw

I love the weather this year. Some grass is still growing.
Been nice riding weather on the weekends.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I don't mind heading to FL for a few weeks when it's cold. Hit the beach.

We are going to have a green Christmas! Rather rare for here.

Carscw

Carscw

I don't mind heading to FL for a few weeks when it's cold. Hit the beach. We are going to have a green Christmas! Rather rare for here.

Going to be 75 here. My wife is not happy at all. She wants snow.

M

Mikel1

I wouldn't mind some snow just no ice!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I definitely do not miss the days where your car doors are iced over and it takes 15 minutes just to clean off the car! :confused2:

Carscw

Carscw

Ice just shuts everything down.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Lol I guess you don't get along with your wife about the weather.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Lol I guess you don't get along with your wife about the weather.

The same here, my wife doesn't have to go outside and move snow when its -0 in a wind blown snow storm.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Here in northern CA we are finally getting some decent rain, and quite a bit of snow up in the hills. Hope it continued through spring, we really need it. So far so good. As for temps, we hid a week or so recently where the lows were around freezing, scraping ice off the cars in the morning. Last week or two has been pretty normal, lows around 40/highs around mid 50s. Bering here my while life I'd be in bad shape if I went somewhere that had ice and snow as a winter norm. I'm just happy to see the rain!

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Snow is nice till New Years. After that I can't stand it. I hate the cold.

Carscw

Carscw

Snow is nice till New Years. After that I can't stand it. I hate the cold.

I am with you I hate the cold.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Nothing to like about it! Dry skin, hard starts, more traffic, more gas and the list goes on.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Nothing to like about it! Dry skin, hard starts, more traffic, more gas and the list goes on.

The one and only thing I like it the time to take a break from lawn care. But by February I'll be itching to mow again.

reynoldston

reynoldston

The one and only thing I like it the time to take a break from lawn care. But by February I'll be itching to mow again.

Two things I HATE, snow removal and mowing grass. I am itching for summer time repairs. Repair work is very slow right now which is normal for the winter months other then a snowblower or two might come in through the snow season, that is if we get any snow.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

The same here, my wife doesn't have to go outside and move snow when its -0 in a wind blown snow storm.

There is nothing worse than a wind that pushes snow onto my neck while I am snowblowing!

Yeah, I like the breack, but it gets long here. Start working again in April.

Carscw

Carscw

Heck I am ready for a break.
I don't know what happened this year but I am still doing 46 weekly property visits.

R

Rivets

Now I know why I'm on the opposite side of most posts around here. Most members are warm weather individuals. If the temp is above 70 F. I start to get crabby. Give me the cold weather and the snow over the heat. Can't go ice fishing, woods are full of too many biting things, people all over the outdoors, etc. Now you can say my brain never thaws out, that's why I'm the way I am.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

There is nothing worse than a wind that pushes snow onto my neck while I am snowblowing!

Yeah, I like the breack, but it gets long here. Start working again in April.

Yep its around April 1st here. This past year it wasn't until mid-April because we had super cold temps, but the year before that it was April 1st, and the year before that it was late March.

B

bertsmobile1

Now I know why I'm on the opposite side of most posts around here. Most members are warm weather individuals. If the temp is above 70 F. I start to get crabby. Give me the cold weather and the snow over the heat. Can't go ice fishing, woods are full of too many biting things, people all over the outdoors, etc. Now you can say my brain never thaws out, that's why I'm the way I am.

The optimum temperature for brain activity 16.5 deg C.
Most "brain intensive" workplaces aim for a working temperature 16 to 19 deg C.
Brain might like it cool but the body does not.
The hotter your brain gets the harder it is to think till eventually you shut down the thinking sections of your brain and resort to base emotional responses.
Thus the "too hot to think" and "hot under the collar" explanations of why people who know better do stupid things.
It is why "bikie bosses" insist the underlings wear matt black helmets ( when they do wear helmets ) and why your dog goes crazy if you lock it inside your car on a hot day.
The top 1/3 of the country calls it "gone troppo" and happens every year just before the tail end of the Asian monsoons blow in and cool down things a bit.
Oddly enough the native animals realise this so sleep during the excessive heat of the day but us idiot humans attempt to carry on as usual during the opressive heat.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I am seeing this all the time that someone just loves mowing or operating equipment and I am thinking how much I hate it. I got thinking about it and think it goes back to my younger days on the farm when I had to operate farm equipment for 10+ hours a day 6 days a week. It was a welcome relief when something broke down so I could go back to the shop to repair it. As a truck mechanic I have had opportunely to be a driver but what little I did drive I couldn't get back into repairs fast enough. Then when I retired I thought I would deliver parts for a NAPA dealer but that didn't last long before I as doing repair work in my own shop here at home. I guess once repairs get into your system its hard to get away from it.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

The optimum temperature for brain activity 16.5 deg C.
Most "brain intensive" workplaces aim for a working temperature 16 to 19 deg C.
Brain might like it cool but the body does not.
The hotter your brain gets the harder it is to think till eventually you shut down the thinking sections of your brain and resort to base emotional responses.
Thus the "too hot to think" and "hot under the collar" explanations of why people who know better do stupid things.
It is why "bikie bosses" insist the underlings wear matt black helmets ( when they do wear helmets ) and why your dog goes crazy if you lock it inside your car on a hot day.
The top 1/3 of the country calls it "gone troppo" and happens every year just before the tail end of the Asian monsoons blow in and cool down things a bit.
Oddly enough the native animals realise this so sleep during the excessive heat of the day but us idiot humans attempt to carry on as usual during the opressive heat.

Mexicans have it tho! Tuesday siesta!

R

Rivets

Ya,Wooooo, here it comes. Hoping to get 9-11" by tomorrow morning and temps not to get above freezing for a week. Just got in from clearring the first 3". Hope I'll need the big blower in the morning. Sorry to those of you who are warm weather lovers, but I'll be in Hog Heaven for a while. Watch out in the northeast, this is some heavy stuff.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Ya,Wooooo, here it comes. Hoping to get 9-11" by tomorrow morning and temps not to get above freezing for a week. Just got in from clearring the first 3". Hope I'll need the big blower in the morning. Sorry to those of you who are warm weather lovers, but I'll be in Hog Heaven for a while. Watch out in the northeast, this is some heavy stuff.

Slight chance of some sleet where I am. No snow.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Just keep it in Wisconsin

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Home town got 40 cm of snow. Glad I aint there for the moment!

reynoldston

reynoldston

Well here we are in the new year and the cold weather has arrived not much in snow yet but I know its will come off of the Great Lake Ontario before long.

M

Mikel1

Ice just shuts everything down.
Especially down here in the south. I must admit I was not prepared for the ice storm in '14.
I did get some snow Jan. 23.

poulsenar

poulsenar

Haha, it was the same here in New Jersey during the winter! Even though the winters in New York are usually pretty cold, this year has been warmer than usual. It only snowed a few times this season, and it used to be freezing here, so that's weird. We even used the air conditioner(in the winter!!!), which was unusual, but we couldn't handle it anymore. Because we used it so much, the aircon was dripping water. What can I say? That's global warming for you. The summers are either too rainy or too hot, and it doesn't even snow during the winter anymore. What a world we live in!