Ultima ZT2 surging

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You mean you actually get Sunday off. I spend this morning taking care of a local farmerswhose seed tender wouldn't start and they can't load their planter without. it. Symptom was they had ran it out of gas, refilled it, and then it wouldn't restart. They got is running temporarily but then died and wouldn't restart. Replaced the flooded plug, and then had no spark. Found that the issue is with the wiring on the Meridian seed tender. Will not start with the key switch but did get it were it would start with the remote control.
Yes I get Sundays off from regular work. It is one thing my boss insists on. Besides no one like paying my Sunday rates which is not as bad as our 2am rates.

One Briggs price file set modified and now need the three files merged before importing. This way all the supersedes are properly applied. Also got the formatting under CSV format especially checking for stray commas in description field.
Thanks for the reply. I bought the mower new and for 2 1/2 years the mower performed flawlessly. Started very easy and run like a top at slower throttle as well as full throttle. Always when the blades were engaged the throttle was full and never had the surging sound. It only has the surging sound only after they messed with the rpm’s and the surging is only noticeable at full throttle when the blades are engaged and not when it is full throttle with them not engaged. I am not a mechanic and never has been but thought it odd that now this is happening. You posted that idle speed should be 1450, now I don’t know what that should sound like but after they adjusted the rpm’s the idle seems really higher pitch and fast so didn’t know if there was a correlation between the 2 or not.
Nor do I. That is why I use tachometer to set these idle speeds. There is no way I can tell the difference between 100 change.

Now the posted idle speeds are set independently of each other but they do interact with each too.

While the engine is running.
  1. First the carburetor idle speed is set while holding the throttle plate closed.
  2. Then govern idle speed is set.
  3. And finally the high idle speed (off load full throttle speed) is set.
If the govern idle speed is the same as the carburetor idle speed then engine will surge as even at the full throttle, the throttle plate is very close to same amount of opening.

If the tech set this up properly and the engine is still surging then there is a problem with the carburetor most likely; like it needs at least a good cleaning. Usually when under load surging is caused by a dirty carburetor or valves out adjustment or both.

And as a shop I can't assume anything as I don't who all has fooled with the equipment that comes in into my shop. I just had an Exmark that came that several other techs had mess with the engine trying to get the surging out. They had both carb idle and govern idle speeds the same plus also had removed the fuel filter and inverted it on reinstall sending a lot trash into the carburetor. It took me 4x cleaning it to get all the grass out of the carburetor.

Also Kawasaki engines are know to smoke at start up if anything other than 15W50 or 20W50 oil is use. This is why Kawasaki sells a SAE15W50 synthetic oil.

tbmmbt

Threads
Yes I get Sundays off from regular work. It is one thing my boss insists on. Besides no one like paying my Sunday rates which is not as bad as our 2am rates.

One Briggs price file set modified and now need the three files merged before importing. This way all the supersedes are properly applied. Also got the formatting under CSV format especially checking for stray commas in description field.

Nor do I. That is why I use tachometer to set these idle speeds. There is no way I can tell the difference between 100 change.

Now the posted idle speeds are set independently of each other but they do interact with each too.

While the engine is running.
  1. First the carburetor idle speed is set while holding the throttle plate closed.
  2. Then govern idle speed is set.
  3. And finally the high idle speed (off load full throttle speed) is set.
If the govern idle speed is the same as the carburetor idle speed then engine will surge as even at the full throttle, the throttle plate is very close to same amount of opening.

If the tech set this up properly and the engine is still surging then there is a problem with the carburetor most likely; like it needs at least a good cleaning. Usually when under load surging is caused by a dirty carburetor or valves out adjustment or both.

And as a shop I can't assume anything as I don't who all has fooled with the equipment that comes in into my shop. I just had an Exmark that came that several other techs had mess with the engine trying to get the surging out. They had both carb idle and govern idle speeds the same plus also had removed the fuel filter and inverted it on reinstall sending a lot trash into the carburetor. It took me 4x cleaning it to get all the grass out of the carburetor.

Also Kawasaki engines are know to smoke at start up if anything other than 15W50 or 20W50 oil is use. This is why Kawasaki sells a SAE15W50 synthetic oil.
I change my own oil and filter and have used the Mobil 1 15w50 on the last 2 changes. If there is possibly the carb being dirty, what do you recommend? I have some sea foam that I run through my motorcycle from time to time but if there is something you like better, let me know when you have time. Do the Kawasaki valves need adjusting from time to time?
I don’t usually believe in coincidences but seems odd this surging just happen to start when they messed with the settings on this. The mechanic at the shop told me to bring it back and he will try to make it right. He also said some kid who worked there was the one that did the adjustment so not feeling to confident if that guy is going to adjust it again. I am at a loss at how I am going to get my mower back to the way it ran and performed before it went in for the drive oil to be changed. Was going to change it myself but thought it would be better to let a shop that sells and services the Cub Cadets change it but I see how that worked out for me.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kawasaki like other engines do need valve adjustments. The seafoam may not fix the issue but is worth a shot. It could help. What I have seen in some cases is a partial clogged jet that will run fine at just below full throttle, but will surge at full throttle. So there is possibility of a dirty carb. But the surge could be due to a governor sensitivity issue the presented itself with the higher rpm.

tbmmbt

Threads
Kawasaki like other engines do need valve adjustments. The seafoam may not fix the issue but is worth a shot. It could help. What I have seen in some cases is a partial clogged jet that will run fine at just below full throttle, but will surge at full throttle. So there is possibility of a dirty carb. But the surge could be due to a governor sensitivity issue the presented itself with the higher rpm.
Thanks for the info. Will give the seafoam a try and see where it goes. Is the governor something that can be adjusted?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only governor adjustment is more or less static adjustment. The engine speed changes are done with adjusting the tension on the governor springs. And most likely there are two springs and if they are not adjusted correctly could cause a surge.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also note the governor knee screw is left handed threaded so don't strip it out attempting the static adjustment.

Uncensored

Forum Newbie
Threads
Took my mower to the dealer to get the drive oil changed. Was recommended to change it at 100 hours and then every 400 hours. After I got the mower back I noticed it was harder to start than it usually was and when I did get it started it puffed some smoke and ran a lot faster at just idle than normal. Have owned the mower for 2 1/2 years so have learned its tendencies and such. When I put the throttle full it sounded much loader and faster and much higher rpms and when I engaged the blades and started mowing it sounded like the motor was "surging". Sounds like it is "bumping" up to the governor and back off . It has a rrR rrR rrR sound but only when the blades are engaged not when they are not. I used to able to mow my yard 2 times give or take every tank but the last 3 times I mowed there is only about 1" of gas left in tank. Went to the dealer and complained about it and they pulled the report and it said the rpms was at 32?? rpms and was supposed to be at 36?? rpms so they set them up to what the factory specs were recommended. Told them about the hard starting and smoke so they told me to bring it back. I did and told the guy at the counter that it used to run and start fantastic and to put it back the way it was and they said they could. Got the mower back and when I started it, it was better but not the same and every now and then it will still puff a little smoke (not as much) but a little and not every time. Called and was connected to the mechanic and told him all of this and he said the rpms was set back to 34?? and I asked him why he didn't set it back to where it was as I was told they would. He said he was never told that. I told him I bring my mower in to replace the hydro oil and they mess with it and screw it up and they sent me a bill for them to try and fix their screw up. It still "sounds" like it is surging, not as prominent as before but it is still there. The mechanic said if I wanted to bring it back and talk directly to him that he can put the meter on it and set it to the 32?? rpms. My question is will it hurt the 691v Kawasaki motor for it to run that way or just run it. It used more gas than normal last mowing but not as much as it did when I first got it back. Looking for insight about what I should do or not do. Thanks.
Somebody overheated your engine, probably a terrorist, you'll never get the truth. Would have gone like this; dropped the old oil, forgot and started the motor and then smelled the heat and shut it off but it was too late. Still runs but the damage was done.

tbmmbt

Threads
Somebody overheated your engine, probably a terrorist, you'll never get the truth. Would have gone like this; dropped the old oil, forgot and started the motor and then smelled the heat and shut it off but it was too late. Still runs but the damage was done.
I will take that as a joke and move on.

Brucewayne

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know very little about mowers. I had an issue with my mower shutting off on occasion. I took a shot in the dark and changed the fuel filter. Amazingly enough the problem went away.