Ultima ZT2 surging

Combat_Pyro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I bought the mower new and for 2 1/2 years the mower performed flawlessly. Started very easy and run like a top at slower throttle as well as full throttle. Always when the blades were engaged the throttle was full and never had the surging sound. It only has the surging sound only after they messed with the rpm’s and the surging is only noticeable at full throttle when the blades are engaged and not when it is full throttle with them not engaged. I am not a mechanic and never has been but thought it odd that now this is happening. You posted that idle speed should be 1450, now I don’t know what that should sound like but after they adjusted the rpm’s the idle seems really higher pitch and fast so didn’t know if there was a correlation between the 2 or not.
Your mower will have less ability to cut through thicker grass running at 3200 rpm’s range, but it will have less wear as well. I would force them to make the mower run like it did before they screwed with it, especially because you didn’t authorize them to perform that work. They were only authorized to perform the work you brought it in for. If Running it at 3200rpms works for you then it will not harm your engine or mower in any way.

Peva

Threads
I'm late to the thread.

Plus as Rivets some of us work all week at our own shops. Personally my shop is operated 6 days 10 hrs/day every week. Sundays are my day to get my own things done. I only stopping now as I awaiting a couple of my gals to lay. Then I going the grocery store, Auto parts store, HFT a couple items and then when get that done it my housework and yard work plus formatting and updating my business software with new price files.

Now we also need the actual model numbers of mower and the model and spec numbers of the engine for us to see what you in front of you as we are not all seeing.

Now there three base versions of the Kawasaki 691V (FS, FR, and FX). Idle speed is set at a base of 1450 with a governed idle speed of 1550. If not done correctly then governor will act up.

From the service manual these are the idle speeds
View attachment 68694

Also note that just because the hydro oil was change does not mean something else hasn't happen in the meantime. I just had a mower that was running when the customer picked it but before it got unloaded at the customer's home it started acting up. A piece of metal that another didn't keep track of started causing problems.
"Sundays are my day to get my own things done. I only stopping now as I awaiting a couple of my gals to lay."

🙀 Sounds like you're a busy man!

Last edited:

CaptFerd

Threads
Congratulations, you answered a question that he didn’t ask for the purpose of promoting your own YouTube video. Useless self centered comment.

His famous last words were "Looking for insight about what I should do or not do. Thanks."
Only a consumer and a reputable mower service with excellent customer service would understand my suggestions above. Unless you have a magic wand not you or anyone else is going to fix that mower from here. He needs to be guided to someone that will fix it and not fly the coop or milk him dry as the company he is taking it to is doing. Thanks for watching the video. You now know that fixing mowers for others starts with great customer service. You did give good advice up there by the way.

first pull

Threads
I guess no one has any answers of what I should or should not do.
They messed something up during the oil change. I am not sure what without seeing it but I am a small engine mechanic and things don't just change when you have an oil change!I would have another
service look into it

tbmmbt

Threads
They messed something up during the oil change. I am not sure what without seeing it but I am a small engine mechanic and things don't just change when you have an oil change!I would have another
service look into it
You are correct something messed up during the hydro oil change. They decided to adjust the high throttle rpm's because they said it was a little over 3200 and spec says 3600. After they did that is when all of the surging started with full throttle and blades engaged.

tbmmbt

Threads
His famous last words were "Looking for insight about what I should do or not do. Thanks."
Only a consumer and a reputable mower service with excellent customer service would understand my suggestions above. Unless you have a magic wand not you or anyone else is going to fix that mower from here. He needs to be guided to someone that will fix it and not fly the coop or milk him dry as the company he is taking it to is doing. Thanks for watching the video. You now know that fixing mowers for others starts with great customer service. You did give good advice up there by the way.
They sent me a bill for adjusting the rpm's even though I told them to just change the hydro oil. I asked them why I have to pay for something I didn't want or order as well as why should I pay you to screw up the way my motor runs after they messed with it. Needless to say they were not paid for that only the hydro oil change.

foggysail

Forum Newbie
Threads
My surging thought is the carburetor's main valve has poop in it resulting from not draining old gas. If mine.........I would try dropping the bottom cover off the carburetor and use a torch tip and try cleaning it. Do a Google to learn more about finding the valve so you know what to look for.

ccheatha

Threads
My surging thought is the carburetor's main valve has poop in it resulting from not draining old gas. If mine.........I would try dropping the bottom cover off the carburetor and use a torch tip and try cleaning it. Do a Google to learn more about finding the valve so you know what to look for.
I was thinking pilot jet.

RevB

Threads
Took my mower to the dealer to get the drive oil changed. Was recommended to change it at 100 hours and then every 400 hours. After I got the mower back I noticed it was harder to start than it usually was and when I did get it started it puffed some smoke and ran a lot faster at just idle than normal. Have owned the mower for 2 1/2 years so have learned its tendencies and such. When I put the throttle full it sounded much loader and faster and much higher rpms and when I engaged the blades and started mowing it sounded like the motor was "surging". Sounds like it is "bumping" up to the governor and back off . It has a rrR rrR rrR sound but only when the blades are engaged not when they are not. I used to able to mow my yard 2 times give or take every tank but the last 3 times I mowed there is only about 1" of gas left in tank. Went to the dealer and complained about it and they pulled the report and it said the rpms was at 32?? rpms and was supposed to be at 36?? rpms so they set them up to what the factory specs were recommended. Told them about the hard starting and smoke so they told me to bring it back. I did and told the guy at the counter that it used to run and start fantastic and to put it back the way it was and they said they could. Got the mower back and when I started it, it was better but not the same and every now and then it will still puff a little smoke (not as much) but a little and not every time. Called and was connected to the mechanic and told him all of this and he said the rpms was set back to 34?? and I asked him why he didn't set it back to where it was as I was told they would. He said he was never told that. I told him I bring my mower in to replace the hydro oil and they mess with it and screw it up and they sent me a bill for them to try and fix their screw up. It still "sounds" like it is surging, not as prominent as before but it is still there. The mechanic said if I wanted to bring it back and talk directly to him that he can put the meter on it and set it to the 32?? rpms. My question is will it hurt the 691v Kawasaki motor for it to run that way or just run it. It used more gas than normal last mowing but not as much as it did when I first got it back. Looking for insight about what I should do or not do. Thanks.
#1 - Pay with a credit card? Put it in dispute with your card company.....

RevB

Threads
"Torch tip" ? What the hell is that.