Engine Toro Timecutter SS 4235 - Starter engages but won't turn engine

CASchryver

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Timecutter SS 4235 - Starter engages but won't turn engine
A few months ago, I picked up a used Timecutter. The battery was dead, but after jump-starting the mower and running it for a while, it's started strong ever since. I've been mowing with it for about three months without any problems. About a week ago I turned it off and was away for a few minutes after which when I tried to start it up again it wouldn't. The starter sounds strong, but the engine itself won't even turn. Of course, I don't try for more than a few seconds at a time so as not to fry my starter. Seemingly at random, it suddenly turned the engine and it started right up. Ran fine for the rest of the day. It has now happened two more times and as I type, it is sitting in my yard with a tarp over it to keep it out of the rain. Due to weather, I haven't been able to step through as many troubleshooting steps as I'd like, but I was able to shoot a small video so you could hear it.

Oil level is good, though it could use a change. I think my power is good - I've added in my jump box with no discernible sound difference with or without it. This model will allow me to start it with no one sitting in the seat. It won't let you start it if the motion control levers aren't in the "park" position - you can hear the "safety" engage/disengage when they are moved, so I don't think that is the issue.

Appreciate any suggestions.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Solenoid on starter is going bad.

packardv8

Threads
Solenoid on starter is going bad
Mark is probably correct.

However, the Toro is typical of today's mowers with electrical connections running through many different lawyer switches to make it start. Before replacing the solenoid, find every switch and plug connector. Pull them, spray with electric contact cleaner and reinstall. Fixed many similar problems this way.

On a Cub Cadet the ultimate solution was to completely rewire the machine with an aftermarket starter and PTO switch and delete everything else. Otherwise, it was always a crapshoot whether it would start or not, run or not, PTO or not.

jack vines

CASchryver

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm actually leaning toward the starter. I turned the key so I heard what you can hear in the video and very lightly tapped on the starter with a rubber mallet and the engine started to spin. Another try or two and it actually fired up. Does that sound like the starter or more of an issue where the engine isn't spinning as freely as it should? The oil level is good.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the starter.
Pull it off and take it to an old fashioned auto electrician.
you know the ones with people wearing overalls and an office full of desks covered with notes, not one with a big showroom full of radios, cd's & amplifiers.
Get them to test it.
Chamces it will just be a clean or new brushes.
Wost come to worst they usually can do you a good replacement that will actually last longer then the warrantee

packardv8

Threads
Just had a similar problem on my Toro today. Solenoid clicked and engaged, but the starter didn't turn. I fiddled with the connector and bingo! it started. Typical wiring problem.

jack vines

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wiring/battery problems are 'typical' but they're not the only thing that can cause the starter to engage but fail to crank the engine.

If I hadn't seen this for myself, I wouldn't believe it either.

A friend with a Murray tractor had the same problem. He tried all the electrical fixes, which didn't work. He called me and said he'd found something on the internet that said the valves out of adjustment could cause this and asked me to help him adjust the valves. I did, mainly just to humor and prove to him that valve adjustment had nothing to do with this kind of problem. We set the valves, and it started right up.

Apparently the compression release is very sensitive to valve adjustment. IIRC, his engine was a Tecumseh.

Something to consider. It costs nothing to make sure the valves are set correctly.

CASchryver

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds feasible to me, but how the heck do I do that?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds feasible to me, but how the heck do I do that?

I'm going to assume that means you've never adjusted valves before. If that's the case, you need to get someone with experience to help you. There's more to it than can be conveyed with written words, just like Master Chef meals can't be reduced to recipes.

You can check my other posts to see a partial explanation how to set valves but there is more to it than what I wrote in that post.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
There are plenty of videos on line.