bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Toro Timecutter SS 4235 - Starter engages but won't turn engine
remove the spark plug & try to crank the engine
turns without plug but won't turn with plug in = valves

won't turn over without plug by either starter or hand = engine problem
can be internal , piston seizure , bearing seizure, bent valve etc, etc
or external, nut , bolt small bit of magnetic gravel stuck in alternator.

packardv8

Threads
Wiring/battery problems are 'typical' but they're not the only thing that can cause the starter to engage but fail to crank the engine.

If I hadn't seen this for myself, I wouldn't believe it either.

A friend with a Murray tractor had the same problem. He tried all the electrical fixes, which didn't work. He called me and said he'd found something on the internet that said the valves out of adjustment could cause this and asked me to help him adjust the valves. I did, mainly just to humor and prove to him that valve adjustment had nothing to do with this kind of problem. We set the valves, and it started right up.

Apparently the compression release is very sensitive to valve adjustment. IIRC, his engine was a Tecumseh.

Something to consider. It costs nothing to make sure the valves are set correctly.

Do current generation twin cylinder Kohler engines such as used on this Toro, even have compression releases? I associate them with big, old single cylinders.

jack vines

ALBrock

Forum Newbie
Threads
A few months ago, I picked up a used Timecutter. The battery was dead, but after jump-starting the mower and running it for a while, it's started strong ever since. I've been mowing with it for about three months without any problems. About a week ago I turned it off and was away for a few minutes after which when I tried to start it up again it wouldn't. The starter sounds strong, but the engine itself won't even turn. Of course, I don't try for more than a few seconds at a time so as not to fry my starter. Seemingly at random, it suddenly turned the engine and it started right up. Ran fine for the rest of the day. It has now happened two more times and as I type, it is sitting in my yard with a tarp over it to keep it out of the rain. Due to weather, I haven't been able to step through as many troubleshooting steps as I'd like, but I was able to shoot a small video so you could hear it.

Oil level is good, though it could use a change. I think my power is good - I've added in my jump box with no discernible sound difference with or without it. This model will allow me to start it with no one sitting in the seat. It won't let you start it if the motion control levers aren't in the "park" position - you can hear the "safety" engage/disengage when they are moved, so I don't think that is the issue.

Appreciate any suggestions.

ALBrock

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2011 SS4235 and had basically the same problem. I would turn the key to START and the starter would spin but the motor was not turning. Being an old shade tree mechanic I had seen similar problems with older cars. Usually you could tap on the starter and the motor would start - the problem was usually that the starter bendix gear was not spinning out and engaging the motor flywheel gear. I tried that but no luck, so I had to get more inventive. First I cut out the plastic cover over the motor so I could insert a socket to see if the motor turned - it turned fairly easily, so that wasn't it. Then I removed the starter from the motor (it sounds and looks a lot more difficult than it actually is). Make sure to disconnect the negative lead from the battery, then remove the two bolts holding the starter. When you get the starter off (actually not off, but just pulled out of the motor), you can check the bendix gear to make sure the gear is not worn, if it spins freely, and if it freely moves away from the main starter assembly when pulled up, as if spinning out. If the gears are worn you would normally hear a grinding noise as it tried to engage with the flywheel: in this case you'll need a new starter. In my case the bendix gear didn't move freely. I sprayed it with a rust removal product, worked it a few times, and then let it set a few hours. Went back and the gear now moved fairly easily, so I rigged a test cable to provide ground to the starter. When I turned the key the starter jumped (as expected) and I could see the bendix gear spinning out. Sprayed it a little more, manually worked the gear a few more times to see if there was more binding (there had been corrosion on the parts where the bendix gear rested on the starter shaft. So I put it back together and it worked as designed. (Said a prayer of thanks to GOD for working through me and fixing the problem - not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last.) Anyway, it has been starting ever since.
Hope this helps anyone who is experiencing the same problem.

Last edited:

packardv8

Threads
Before getting in to the valves, clean all the ground connections.

jack vines

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before getting in to the valves, clean all the ground connections.

jack vines
You know it is the engine with problem if you would post the engine model no. and spec that would help. Since you did show a picture of the mower that showed the engine I can see it is a Kawasaki and that engine has an inertia starter drive. It is the drive that is slipping. It is the rubber seal as they call it that drives the gear and it has gotten dry and hard and will not grip the nut under it crazy names for the parts. Look up the engine and get the parts for the drive. The starter is good just need the drive.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Toro model 74633 Timecutter uses a Kohler engine, not Kawasaki, but the solution is the same. Replace the bendix drive.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Toro model 74633 Timecutter uses a Kohler engine, not Kawasaki, but the solution is the same. Replace the bendix drive.

Toro Timecutter SS 4235 - Starter engages but won't turn engine. Did I miss something here. I Believe that mower has a Kawasaki.​