Toro Recycler, Briggs engine quit working after oil change

Mark H_NO

Threads
Can I use my gear puller(pulls on edge) or do I need a flywheel puller, and to tap the bolt holes(what B&S reccomends)

Mark H_NO

Threads
put a bit of torque on the flywheel, broke it loose, and it came right off. I just didn't want to torque the crap out of the gear puller. Installed a new key from my local Ace HW, put all back together and it's running! Saved from the scrapyard. Thanks again for the tips. I was so sure that wasn't the problem.

Joed756

Threads
You don't need a puller, it will come loose by lightly tapping with a soft hammer. I'm glad the problem has been pinpointed.

Joed756

Threads
I missed your last post. Good job with a happy ending.

Mark H_NO

Threads
Hmm. I cut my backyard, including around 10 restarts for water breaks and checking the grill. Around halfway, it wouldn't restart. I pulled the carb, bowl was dirty, flushed passages with carb cleaner, put all back together and finished the yard. I let it rest for 45 min or so, and started it up again. It died after a few seconds, and won't restart. Spark tests good, checked the flywheel, key is intact. Compression just like before, a bit under 60 lbs. Won't start even with starting fluid. I got a new plug, tried that no change. It seemed to fire one time, but didn't start.

Mark H_NO

Threads
I also retorqued the cylinder head bolts, just in case heat/cool made a difference. The backyard that I cut takes over 1.5 hours, easy. I'll be putting in a fuel line filter, and checking the bowl again, but starting fluid ain't firing. I rechecked the coil gap, and reset with business card.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Since there was junk in the bowl, did you clean out the bowl bolt? which is the main jet too... there are 3 holes in it, 2 cross drilled at the bottom and one on the end of it.

Mark H_NO

Threads
Good call, I forgot that. I'll do that first thing tomorrow. I wanted to check the bowl anyhow. Thanks.