Toro dies going downhill

Fritzz

Threads
I’m prettying sure it’s oil getting dumped/sucked into the combustion chamber somehow and stalling the engine. There’s an immediate running problem when I go down a steep ditch and thick blue smoke pours out the exhaust and lingers in the grass like still burning oil.
I’m just having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the idea of the head gasket being bad since it runs like a top normally. I used it to clean up some fairly off camber fence line Sunday and it never missed a beat. Wasn’t burning any oil.
I’ll take a look at the bowl first and see what it looks like but not holding out much hope for that.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The water sits in the bottom of the carb bowl, and does not get sucked into the carb, but sudden turning, tilting, going down hill, hitting bumps, and the water sloshes up high enough to get sucked into the carb/engine. It is a good possibility,
and costs nothing to check, I am always one to check things out before spending other people's money on guesses.
If there is no water in the bowl, the only thing it will cost is a few minutes of your time, nothing else.
Look at what dribbles out, the water will bead up in the gas, or if you put it in a can, it will sit at the bottom.
That is why fuel driers have alcohol in them, it makes the water mix with the fuel better and burn through with time.
Sounds good Fish as water being a possible issue. OP could be using E10 and have water in the bowl.

Blue smoke means oil. IF it is the head gasket, might just be a partial blow out. That could cause the oil to go where it doesn't belong under certain conditions. Again those Intek engines are famous for head gasket issues.

slomo

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
To take a quick test/look at the head gasket, I remove the rocker arm cover, then start the engine, and if the head gasket is blown, you should be able to see it then. Do it outside as you will be throwing some oil.
Do not run it long, but just for a look.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fritzz, remove the head and post pictures of the head gasket here. Pictures when you remove the head then pics of the gasket removal.

slomo