Toro dies going downhill

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
With the engine running, open the oil dipstick and let it rest on the threads. See if the engine is trying to push it out of the dipstick tube. You will see the dipstick puffing up and down if the head gasket is blown.

Taryl has a good video on the Intek head gasket replacement.

slomo

Fritzz

Threads
I spoke with the owner of this unit, my father in law. I was under the impression it was something I messed up with the oil change that caused this problem but he says it’s done this the last couple of years. This is the second engine the mower has had, he thinks he ran the first one out of oil and blew it.

Fritzz

Threads
It’s spraying small droplets out the filler when I take the cap off. Also the cap isn’t staying on if I unscrew it and set it back in place. It either is getting bounced off by crankcase pressure or the vibration of the engine.
I can’t figure out how to attach the video.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Upload to YouTube or vimeo, place the link here
Sounds like a lot of blow by the piston rings. Into the case

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It’s spraying small droplets out the filler when I take the cap off. Also the cap isn’t staying on if I unscrew it and set it back in place. It either is getting bounced off by crankcase pressure or the vibration of the engine.
I can’t figure out how to attach the video.
Cha-ching, sounds like head gasket time. Put a paper towel or tissue over the oil fill tube. See if the engine is trying to blow it up out of the tube. You should feel it with your hand too. If it is blowing oil out as you said it's head gasket time.

Permatex makes a gasket prep spray. Here's a link to it. Get a new Briggs head gasket. Spray it down with this copper tack spray on both sides. Clean the snot out of the engine deck and cylinder head. Put the gasket on and TORQUE the head bolts to proper specs.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The above spray tack is a must do. Don't skip this step or you will be doing it all over again soon. Those Intek engines lack head bolts all the way around the perimeter of the cylinder bore. Reason for it blowing out like now. If you get it all CLEAN enough and torqued proper, should last a good while.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I spoke with the owner of this unit, my father in law. I was under the impression it was something I messed up with the oil change that caused this problem but he says it’s done this the last couple of years. This is the second engine the mower has had, he thinks he ran the first one out of oil and blew it.
Bet the first engine needed an 8 dollar head gasket too.

slomo

Fritzz

Threads
Hard to tell in the video but a fair amount of oil was coming out. My phone I was taking the video with was starting to get covered even.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Briggs part number 796584. Double check me on that part number please. Call Briggs to verify YOUR part number.

slomo