Toro dies going downhill

Fritzz

Threads
Ok, so the the head gasket is bad. Why does the mower die when I go downhill?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, so the the head gasket is bad. Why does the mower die when I go downhill?
The cylinder is getting overloaded with oil. Air fuel now air to oil ratio is not proper.

slomo

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
If your engine oil dipstick is staying above full mark, you have gasoline in oil. Time to remove carburetor & overhaul.
Walbro carburetor overhaul kit above
Nikki carburetor overhaul kit above.
Lastly, change oil & filter with Full Synthetic 5w-30 oil, 48 oz., I use plastic measuring cup.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If your engine oil dipstick is staying above full mark, you have gasoline in oil. Time to remove carburetor & overhaul.
Walbro carburetor overhaul kit above
Nikki carburetor overhaul kit above.
Lastly, change oil & filter with Full Synthetic 5w-30 oil, 48 oz., I use plastic measuring cup.
MM has a point here. Could be fuel in the oil. Check the oil level as Mark said.

I'm still betting on the head gasket. When Fritzz removed the dipstick, he got a nice oil shower. Course could be a bunch of fuel too.

slomo

Fritzz

Threads
I don’t have any sign of fuel in the oil. The reason I drained some oil out was that I had just done a oil change and then just noticed the smoking/stalling on downhill. I thought they were related. I thought the mower was overly sensitive to oil level so I drained a half quart out.
Afterwords I learned it had the problem before the oil change

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don’t have any sign of fuel in the oil. The reason I drained some oil out was that I had just done a oil change and then just noticed the smoking/stalling on downhill. I thought they were related. I thought the mower was overly sensitive to oil level so I drained a half quart out.
Afterwords I learned it had the problem before the oil change
Copy that, just make sure there is NO fuel smell in the dipstick tube. No fuel smell, I'm still banking on a head gasket.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Water and poo don't cause smoking down hill. Water would cause poor running if not no running at all.

slomo

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not a head gasket.
Just loosen the bowl nut and drain the carb, and see what that does. It is easy and free.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The water sits in the bottom of the carb bowl, and does not get sucked into the carb, but sudden turning, tilting, going down hill, hitting bumps, and the water sloshes up high enough to get sucked into the carb/engine. It is a good possibility,
and costs nothing to check, I am always one to check things out before spending other people's money on guesses.
If there is no water in the bowl, the only thing it will cost is a few minutes of your time, nothing else.
Look at what dribbles out, the water will bead up in the gas, or if you put it in a can, it will sit at the bottom.
That is why fuel driers have alcohol in them, it makes the water mix with the fuel better and burn through with time.