Tapping dust out of air filter

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The manual says to not oil the pre-filter. Why? Because oil attracts dirt.
Again, why not oil the pre foam filter? This source also states it attracts dirt? Isn't that a good thing? Isn't that the sole purpose of a "filter"?

Why would you not do anything you could, to stop dirt, from getting into your engine?

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've seen well maintained Kawasaki engines used on oil rigs, with several thousand hours, where the bore looks as if it was just honed. Rings do not wear a cylinder if the engine is properly maintained.
Oil rigs basically have near zero dust, dirt or grit like media now do they?

Compared to dry south Texas with trees in the yard cutting half dirt and weeds. Dust cloud fogs out the entire block..... Come on guys!!! "Brandon Biden"

And the one about foam blocking leaves and sticks only. LOL o_O

Thankfully we haven't had any K&N filter lovers on here yet.

Last edited:

RayMcD

Threads
Oil rigs basically have near zero dust, dirt or grit like media now do they?

Compared to dry south Texas with trees in the yard cutting half dirt and weeds. Dust cloud fogs out the entire block..... Come on guys!!! "Brandon Biden"

And the one about foam blocking leaves and sticks only. LOL o_O

Thankfully we haven't had any K&N filter lovers on here yet.
Spot on Sir, same here in Ga, one only has to look at where the breather is on a farm tractor, up high above the engine, let's call it snorkel. Only way to escape the dirt it to get up above it. Cheers, Ray

I sure hope those that voted for Biden are having a hard time paying for gas... Go Brandon !!!!!!!!.......

txmowman

Threads
I dont believe I wrote anything having to do with oil rigs and dirt. And, actually the foam pre-cleaner is primarily to help keep leaves and such out of the filter pleats. Who ever mentioned that was spot on. For those that feel better oiling their foam, go for it! It is not recommended by the engine manufacturers, unless you see it in the owners manual. Which you won't in Kawasaki manuals.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I dont believe I wrote anything having to do with oil rigs and dirt
Okay sir.

We were all having a group gripe session about air filters when you chimed in.

After rereading what you wrote, you mentioned nothing about air filters.

You are correct. You said nothing about oil rigs and dirt.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spot on Sir, same here in Ga, one only has to look at where the breather is on a farm tractor, up high above the engine, let's call it snorkel. Only way to escape the dirt it to get up above it. Cheers, Ray

I sure hope those that voted for Biden are having a hard time paying for gas... Go Brandon !!!!!!!!.......
And drive trucks with 40 gallon tanks too LOL. Crazy.....

txmowman

Threads
Oh, I apologize. I thought this was a help and information forum, didn't know it was a gripe session. Nothing to be learned by griping. I'll be on my way. Thanks, "experts".

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Txmowman, don’t let an Okie like slomo drive you away. He’s eaten so much dust, he no longer likes it dry. You are correct, don’t oil a foam filter. As I’ve stated before oil; clogs pleated filters, shortens filter life, causes rich running conditions, etc.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh, I apologize. I thought this was a help and information forum, didn't know it was a gripe session. Nothing to be learned by griping. I'll be on my way. Thanks, "experts".
I apologized to you. Don't know what you are mad about?? Have a good one.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Txmowman, don’t let an Okie like slomo drive you away. He’s eaten so much dust, he no longer likes it dry. You are correct, don’t oil a foam filter. As I’ve stated before oil; clogs pleated filters, shortens filter life, causes rich running conditions, etc.
Lets get all dramatic here LOL. Oil clogging filters, good one. My oiled foam keeps the paper way cleaner and longer than a dry foam or no foam condition.

I will say adding a dry foam pre filter is better than running a paper filter only. Anything you can do to stop dirt. Better than adding 30w or UNI filter oil, definitely not.