Tapping dust out of air filter

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have no idea how I am blowing grit into the paper when the air is filtered clean, and the low pressure air is from the inside out. Not trying to get into a pissing contest but short of just replacing the filter this is the easiest solution. Frankly I have a box with new filters in it and I personally replace them but sometimes if it is just dust on a filter like my glass bead machine I will blow it off from THE INSIDE OUT.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So you really believe it's OK to let it choke with dirt until it starts to run bad then change? I'm sure glad you're not doing my maintenance. Just curious, what does your oil look like?
Yes.

You can tell when it doesn't start as it should and maybe getting a touch low in power. Usually the starting delay (extra cranks or rope pulls) will tip you off first. Not a big deal. At that time replace or clean and re-oil.

So do you replace filters at every mow or what? These are lawn mower engines we are talking about.

Do what ever you can to keep any and all grit out of the engine. If that means oil, yes do it. Foam, yes do it. I even use some Magic Lube (ultra tacky - doesn't move in water) and put a layer around the paper filter sealing lips. Get drastic on keeping dirt out of your engine.

Don't know how many engines I've seen where you remove the air filter, open up the intake pipe and see dirt all inside. A finger wipe is loaded with grit. It's like they didn't run it with any air filter in. Just did a Briggs Intek 13.5hp. Intake pipe was full of dirt. Either non OEM filters or lack of clamps. That is a terrible filter design on those housings.

Actually my oil is pretty clear. I have to get the readers on and go out in direct sun to check oil level. When in doubt change it out.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have no idea how I am blowing grit into the paper when the air is filtered clean, and the low pressure air is from the inside out. Not trying to get into a pissing contest but short of just replacing the filter this is the easiest solution. Frankly I have a box with new filters in it and I personally replace them but sometimes if it is just dust on a filter like my glass bead machine I will blow it off from THE INSIDE OUT.
Do all the blowing you want. More dirt filters better. Until the point air flow suffers.

If you think about it, take an air nozzle, aim it at your just installed yesterday filter. How much air do you think, is actually going through the paper filter? All that air is going to hit the paper, bounce off and go around the filter. Not worth wasting time firing up the compressor, digging out air hoses and nozzles....... Path of least resistance. I have more important things to do like drinking a couple cold ones and cutting some grass.

Last edited:

jcworks

Threads
Hi JC, if you dig around on the site you can find many discussions about air filters. There are even some that will call you thrifty for complaining about having to replace your air filter. There are upgrades available for you air filter box. I took it on myself, couldn't be happier with the results. The only way to solve you issue is to move the air intake above the problem. This may look a little strange but is does a great job!!! Cheers, Ray
Good job. Critics of me being thrifty would probably be right. I do have a foam covering over the filter. It broke; I'll get another today. Even with the foam filter (which I've not coated with anything) the paper filter gets a ton of dust in it. Maybe thats something I shouldn't worry about and just take it off every other mowing and tap it out instead of doing it twice a season like I've been doing. I read somewhere once, I don't remember where, that I should not use that foam filter. Why, I don't know. But I use it anyway. Whatever, after a couple of those real bad dusty days I know tapping it releases tons of dust, and the foam filter is coated. I'll look around and see if I can find modifications to my model engine that can be bought or made.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good job. Critics of me being thrifty would probably be right. I do have a foam covering over the filter. It broke; I'll get another today. Even with the foam filter (which I've not coated with anything) the paper filter gets a ton of dust in it. Maybe thats something I shouldn't worry about and just take it off every other mowing and tap it out instead of doing it twice a season like I've been doing. I read somewhere once, I don't remember where, that I should not use that foam filter. Why, I don't know. But I use it anyway. Whatever, after a couple of those real bad dusty days I know tapping it releases tons of dust, and the foam filter is coated. I'll look around and see if I can find modifications to my model engine that can be bought or made.
Why would you not use any tool that can stop any dirt/grit from entering the engine? Foam, Flex Seal, duct tape bailing wire...... Makes no sense.

jcworks

Threads
As I stated, I am using the foam sleeve that slides over the paper filter.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
As I stated, I am using the foam sleeve that slides over the paper filter.
Why dry? Some SAE 30w or UNI filter oil would help. You should already have some SAE 30w in the garage.

1657298771697.png

txmowman

Threads
What is the serial number of this engine?

jcworks

Threads
What is the serial number of this engine?
txnowman, I don't know the serial #. To be honest its too darn hot to walk out there and look it up :). It is 100 here. If it helps any, the mower is a Toro MX5060, model 74641, with a Kawasaki 23hp engine. I "think" the mower came with just the paper filter and not a foam sleeve over that filter. But thats 12 years ago and I've changed filters 2 or 3 times. I don't recall but it may be another brand filter thats on there now. I really don't know. I put that foam sleeve over it that came with a prior filter. I figure as thin as that foam sleeve is its not going to hurt in any way.

RayMcD

Threads
txnowman, I don't know the serial #. To be honest its too darn hot to walk out there and look it up :). It is 100 here. If it helps any, the mower is a Toro MX5060, model 74641, with a Kawasaki 23hp engine. I "think" the mower came with just the paper filter and not a foam sleeve over that filter. But thats 12 years ago and I've changed filters 2 or 3 times. I don't recall but it may be another brand filter thats on there now. I really don't know. I put that foam sleeve over it that came with a prior filter. I figure as thin as that foam sleeve is its not going to hurt in any way.
JC, as you know I took the high road and built my own filter assembly, here's a link to one that I'm sure would server you well. https://powerequipmentman.com/collections/all-products/products/air-filter-upgrade-kit
Unitl you get that crummy elbow that attaches your filter sooner or latter you will be sucking dirt directly into the carb..

Cheers, Ray