Tapping dust out of air filter

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Snapper did that decades ago on their push mowers. Moved the air filter to the white push bar. Was a black plastic hose from carb to middle of the push bar. Had a metal top cover to keep the rain off. Never had to mess with it. This was back in the day when they made mowers to last. Back in the 3 and 3.5hp Briggs days.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Let the paper clog with oil. At least it's not micro-fine grit entering the engine. Won't hurt a thing. Paper might not flow as zippy as a dry one, small potatoes. It will eventually clear a path and flow again.

I too say get a foam pre filter and oil it up with some SAE 30w.

Also I say to leave the air filter alone until it starts to run poorly. Taking it on and off, blowing any kind of air stresses out the paper. You are just blowing grit into the paper. Install it, leave it alone and cut some grass. Briggs says to replace once a year.

Lastly a dirty filter filters better than a new clean one.
Yet, Kohler says to oil their foam pre-filters.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Put on a mask and use compressed air from the inside of the filter out. Or get a washable filter if you can find one.
IF you were ever taught about compressed air safety then you would have been told never to blow it on your skin because it will blow tiny tiny water droplets right through your skin
For the same reason you should never used compressed air to blow out a paper filter as any water droplets ( and there always will be ) will blast holes through the filter

RayMcD

Threads
Let the paper clog with oil. At least it's not micro-fine grit entering the engine. Won't hurt a thing. Paper might not flow as zippy as a dry one, small potatoes. It will eventually clear a path and flow again.

Also I say to leave the air filter alone until it starts to run poorly. Taking it on and off, blowing any kind of air stresses out the paper. You are just blowing grit into the paper. Install it, leave it alone and cut some grass. Briggs says to replace once a year.

So you really believe it's OK to let it choke with dirt until it starts to run bad then change? I'm sure glad you're not doing my maintenance. Just curious, what does your oil look like?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Snapper did that decades ago on their push mowers. Moved the air filter to the white push bar. Was a black plastic hose from carb to middle of the push bar. Had a metal top cover to keep the rain off. Never had to mess with it. This was back in the day when they made mowers to last. Back in the 3 and 3.5hp Briggs days.
Victa did that back in 1954 and continued not only to do it with their own engine but also to the Tecumseh, B & S and Honda engines fitted
The filters never need to be replaced because they just don't get clogged.
When B & S took them over they abandoned the snorkel filters on all models

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you really believe it's OK to let it choke with dirt until it starts to run bad then change? I'm sure glad you're not doing my maintenance. Just curious, what does your oil look like?
Yes,
that is what flow meters do
Tell you when to replace air filters
I just look at the inside, when it starts to show colour they get replaced
Dust on the outside makes the filter work better till it gets to the point of preventing sufficient air volumes to pass through and for a mower engine, that is very very very very very dirty .
The down side is air like any other fluid will take the path of least resistance so as the filter gets clogged, air will start to be pulled through the connecting elbow
The elbow on these engines is a very poor design & hard to get a good seal .
Nearly every one I service for the first time has dust inside the manifold that has leaked through the joints in the elbow .
Usualy I can convince the customer to fit a Donaldson duel element air filter as fitted to the FX series or at least the Engineaire filter that is cheaper.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
When Kohler tells you to wash and oil your pre-filter every 25 hours and change out the paper element and foam pre-filter every 100 hours, just do it. While your in there vacuum and wipe the filter box with a damp rag. Reassemble and go.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the foam pre-filter on my Kaw FR651V. Kawasaki says the FS Air filters are better quality filter media., They are on their commercial FS line of engines. So I have that style on mine, w/ pre-filter but dry..

This is the conversion I made for my former Toro. I have an updated version (in the works) for my new mower, but because of warranty, I have to wait.
https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/52096-Kawaaski-FR651V-FX-air-box-conversion

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the foam pre-filter on my Kaw FR651V. Kawasaki says the FS Air filters are better quality filter media., They are on their commercial FS line of engines. So I have that style on mine, w/ pre-filter but dry..

This is the conversion I made for my former Toro. I have an updated version (in the works) for my new mower, but because of warranty, I have to wait.
https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/52096-Kawaaski-FR651V-FX-air-box-conversion
That’s always a good option.

Lawn Addict
Threads
(y) Thank You Sir.