Starts and runs only 10 seconds or so.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The model number is correct. I downloaded the parts manual from Briggs.
That is the jet number I see listed for my model engine according to the Briggs parts manual.
No problem apparently Briggs isn't keeping the tech support site up to date. What a surprise considering they had filed bankruptcy last year.

I would never have thought the jet was in the drain nut. Seems the most problematic place to put a jet.
A heck a lot easier to remove and clean than if if it was the carburetor nozzle tower.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, some carbs have a tinier one to boot, right at the base of the threads {tecumseh engines}. Most times cleaning that nut is all you need to do. I actually leave the nut on my logsplitter on a hair loose, so when I am done the last bit of gas drips out, and the fuel won't sit there and varnish over the summer.

Beamster

Threads
Bet the float seat has swollen and your float is closing too soon, not allowing enough fuel in the float bowl. Repair is to replace the float needle and seat, plus level the float.
What would the float needle seat material be? I got a rebuild kit and there is a flat needle but only soft spongy washer type things in there and I can't imagine that the seat is not hard.

Beamster

Threads
No problem apparently Briggs isn't keeping the tech support site up to date. What a surprise considering they had filed bankruptcy last year.

A heck a lot easier to remove and clean than if if it was the carburetor nozzle tower.
I meant that all the sediment settles down there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most often the Briggs seat is made of a material call Viton, which will swell if exposed to standing fuel for long periods of time. If you can’t get the seat to level out, let me know, I’ve got a trick if you need it so you don’t have to buy a new float.

Beamster

Threads
Most often the Briggs seat is made of a material call Viton, which will swell if exposed to standing fuel for long periods of time. If you can’t get the seat to level out, let me know, I’ve got a trick if you need it so you don’t have to buy a new float.
The reason I mentioned the float before is because old motorcycle floats, appearing to be of similar material, are subject to leaks caused by ethanol laced gas. They sell "stay up floats" for the bikes. I suspect not for old mower engines.

Rick42wood

Threads
Make sure the solenoid is working. Sounds like it isn’t. Stuff settles around it over the winter and jams it.

Need2learn

Threads
Ok let’s start with the most Simplest thing
Have you replace the fuel filter? Next replace all 3 fuel lines. Next pull the Carburetor either take apart clean with carburetor cleaner and the last is to replace the fuel pump. It has to work then. Of course do them one by one and try it. Let’s me know which one it was

mmoffitt

Threads
I would never have thought the jet was in the drain nut. Seems the most problematic place to put a jet.
probably the cheapest most efficient way to build it

SydSara1996

Forum Newbie
Threads
This same thing burned me TWICE. Never again, "of course". The largest hole at the center of the jet will look wide open when you shine a light through it. When the old gas dries and crystalizes in that opening, it will STILL be very much transparent. You can see right through it! Take a paper clip and push it out of there. Then blast through the hole with the carb spray straw or the brake clean straw. Chances are it will fire up and run fine...........especially being that it ran fine when you put it away {;-)
bestalucktoyoufriend
Mike