Starts and runs only 10 seconds or so.

sallyphilip

Forum Newbie
Threads
Our Toro Briggs Quantum 125K02-0182-E1 will start after priming but stalls very soon thereafter. It will restart (and does the same) repeatedly only after repriming each time. It's fresh fuel, the tank was drained and fuel line changed. Nothing of surprise in the float bowl. I did find a mouse nest under the top shroud and that was all cleared out but made no difference. This is the first running issue, other than a flaky governor causing a surging like running condition that I have lived with, after probably 20 years of ownership. Any ideas? It's old enough to not spend a fortune changing parts, but then again I don't like throwing stuff out.
Our Toro Briggs Quantum 125K02-0182-E1 will start after priming but stalls very soon thereafter. It will restart (and does the same) repeatedly only after repriming each time. It's fresh fuel, the tank was drained and fuel line changed. Nothing of surprise in the float bowl. I did find a mouse nest under the top shroud and that was all cleared out but made no difference. This is the first running issue, other than a flaky governor causing a surging like running condition that I have lived with, after probably 20 years of ownership. Any ideas? It's old enough to not spend a fortune changing parts, but then again I don't like throwing stuff out.
carb needs clean clean the holes in the nut make sure you clean the very small hole near the threads

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Make sure the solenoid is working. Sounds like it isn’t. Stuff settles around it over the winter and jams it.
This little Quantum doesn't have a solenoid on the carb bowl.

slomo

Reactions: Tyy

Gord Baker

Threads
Do the basics. Turn off gas if you have a valve for that. Remove Fuel Filter and drain old gas and dirt from Fuel tank.
Carefully remove float bowl and empty it. Replace Bowl. Fill with filtered Premium Fuel. If gas comes out freely, install new fuel filter. Blow into fuel tank and watch filter fill. Start and mow lawn.

djb132

Forum Newbie
Threads
In addition to the rest of the advice - stay away from gasoline with ethanol added. My brother has a small boat with a gas engine that would not keep running. Turns out the fuel line was disintegrating from the ethanol and clogging the fuel filter repeatedly.

Tyy

Threads
The fuel starvation may be a valid cause , the cleaning of the inlet needle valve under the float fulcrum would be a prudent start . Also the potential for a plugged fuel filter or even plugged vent line to the fuel tank will cause a partial vacuum condition with similar symptoms of fuel starvation . Opening the gas cap will test this theory !

RP54

Threads
MY first guess would be the needle valve in the carburetor. The float can move up & down fine but the needle valve can be stuck. This is a common issue after an engine sits up over the winter; the gas can dry out/lacquer in the carburetor. Since the needle valve is what controls how much fuel is in the bowl, if it is stuck closed you will get the exact symptoms you describe.
The fact that it runs when you prime says the carburetor (and the rest of the engine) should be fine outside of the valve.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I get a mower with your symptoms there are two things I always do.
1) slip an orange in line spark tester ( white ones or just gap ones are too hard to see ) on the mower & start the engine .
Watch the tube, it should glow solid orange while the engine is running if the magneto is working properly
When the engine is stopping the tube should flash right down to the last revolution if the electrics are working properly .
2) grab a can of carb spray
once the engine has started ( it might need a shot to start ) I then use short shots of carb cleaner to keep the engine running.
If the spark tester tells me the magneto is good and the carb spray shows the engine will run on al alternative fuel supply I know the fuel supply is the problem.

I like to diagnose first then repair second , it saves a lot of time , effort & wasting of money replacing perfectly good parts.

Now if you don't want to spend $ 15.00 on the tester you can do it the slower way by removing the blower housing and pulling the kill wire off the coil then move it out of the way.
Refit the housing & start the mower
Problem goes away = bare wire grounding or a short at the switch .
The little tab gets bent or loose and some times conductive debris can accumulate around it

Beamster

Threads
So, the main jet, float needle and jet were just changed, the passages shot with carb cleaner and it's running better than for as long as I can remember. Before the stalling issue, it used to surge and hunt with unloaded rpm going up and down. All gone now. So the two suggestions above about the jets made it new again. It did not come with one but I think a fuel filter will be a good addition.
Thanks.

wingnut1955

Threads
clean bowl nut jet, also check needle and seat , reset float bowl if needed