Starts and runs only 10 seconds or so.

Beamster

Threads
Our Toro Briggs Quantum 125K02-0182-E1 will start after priming but stalls very soon thereafter. It will restart (and does the same) repeatedly only after repriming each time. It's fresh fuel, the tank was drained and fuel line changed. Nothing of surprise in the float bowl. I did find a mouse nest under the top shroud and that was all cleared out but made no difference. This is the first running issue, other than a flaky governor causing a surging like running condition that I have lived with, after probably 20 years of ownership. Any ideas? It's old enough to not spend a fortune changing parts, but then again I don't like throwing stuff out.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bet the float seat has swollen and your float is closing too soon, not allowing enough fuel in the float bowl. Repair is to replace the float needle and seat, plus level the float.

Beamster

Threads
Bet the float seat has swollen and your float is closing too soon, not allowing enough fuel in the float bowl. Repair is to replace the float needle and seat, plus level the float.
I have a rebuild kit on order. Didn't add a float so hopefully it's not leaking.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The nut holding the bowl on the carb, is also the main jet. remove it and clean it thoroughly, clean out the tiny holes/passages. Sometimes that is all you need to do.
jet.jpg

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
This time of year, people getting out mowers with last years fuel. Carb is dirty. Tank might be contaminated with grass and dirt. After 20 years, tank is dirty, block cooling fins are dirty and the cylinder is loaded up with carbon.

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hey Fish, that main jet is for a Tecumseh, OP has a Briggs. Different main jet setup.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hey Fish, that main jet is for a Tecumseh, OP has a Briggs. Different main jet setup.
Wrong...Briggs does use this setup on many of the walk behind mowers. PN 498978 is what Fish is showing.

Since the mower will run about ten second I would suspect trash in the fuel bowl blocking the jet after getting up against it.

Also OP please double check the your engine model and type numbers. I don't find the one posted on the Briggs Power Portal for dealers. The close I can find is the -0187-E1.

Beamster

Threads
Does the float have an adjustable height setting like other carb'ed motors?

Beamster

Threads
Wrong...Briggs does use this setup on many of the walk behind mowers. PN 498978 is what Fish is showing.

Since the mower will run about ten second I would suspect trash in the fuel bowl blocking the jet after getting up against it.

Also OP please double check the your engine model and type numbers. I don't find the one posted on the Briggs Power Portal for dealers. The close I can find is the -0187-E1.
The model number is correct. I downloaded the parts manual from Briggs.
That is the jet number I see listed for my model engine according to the Briggs parts manual.

Beamster

Threads
The nut holding the bowl on the carb, is also the main jet. remove it and clean it thoroughly, clean out the tiny holes/passages. Sometimes that is all you need to do.
View attachment 55979
I would never have thought the jet was in the drain nut. Seems the most problematic place to put a jet.