Standard spark plugs vs. iridium.........

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've spent over 5o years now mowing lawns and most of that time I'm letting my mind wander just imagining how much better my life would be with exotic metal spark plugs in my mower.
When mowing i wonder about reverse electron charged passivated mower blades. I hear they are the best.

Briantii

Threads
Why dual spark plugs? Is it for redundancy sake or a more thorough burn?

Redundancy - mag failures (points wear, etc) and lead fouled spark plugs are fairly common. Both sets are fully tested and functional before flight.

Briantii

Threads
but does you lawnmower run under lean burn conditions at 30,000 feet ?
Is your mower running on 100 octane avgas ?
FWIW I probably pull around 200 plugs a year out of engines and of these 200 plugs 190 would get the plug gap adjusted & replaced
The only time a plug actually needs to be replaced is if it is damaged or worn out
Worn out is when the center electrode is level with the insulator nose or the insulator has started to crack & break up from the effect of thermal cycling
Got dozens of customers with engines still running the same plugs as they were when I first saw them 9 years ago and for may of them that is better than 1000 hours ago.
Then again my aim in business is to have happy customers not to fleece them for every last cent that can be justified .

No, but you clearly missed the point. I was simply pointing out there can be advantages but my conclusion was essentially the same as yours - A WASTE OF MONEY AND NOT WORTH IT IN A MOWER. Hopefully that's clear enough.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Tanaka TCB 340 32 cc 1.8 hp String Trimmer I bought in 2004 and still has the original plug and have never had to do a carb. job on it. Run 100% pure gas and Stihl synthetic oil in it. She is a beast of a trimmer. Just trimmed the place with her today.

SamB

Threads
I have a Tanaka TCB 340 32 cc 1.8 hp String Trimmer I bought in 2004 and still has the original plug and have never had to do a carb. job on it. Run 100% pure gas and Stihl synthetic oil in it. She is a beast of a trimmer. Just trimmed the place with her today.
Yes,stay away from pump gas!

enigma-2

Threads

SamB

Threads
So what do you suggest people us VP fuel or something similar.
Several places around here sell "Ethanol-free" gasoline. One CAN use regular "pump" gas, but it's risky and usually ends up badly. Evan an ultrasonic parts cleaner won't get all the disintegrated fuel lines out of those itty-bitty passages when the ethanol dissolves the fuel lines. Ethanol cannot be effectively removed from blended gasoline. It CAN be romoved, but what you end up with is about 80 octane. I may have an advantage because I live close to a refinery that distributes ethanol-free gasoline to any station that wants it for OPE users.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Several places around here sell "Ethanol-free" gasoline. One CAN use regular "pump" gas, but it's risky and usually ends up badly. Evan an ultrasonic parts cleaner won't get all the disintegrated fuel lines out of those itty-bitty passages when the ethanol dissolves the fuel lines. Ethanol cannot be effectively removed from blended gasoline. It CAN be romoved, but what you end up with is about 80 octane. I may have an advantage because I live close to a refinery that distributes ethanol-free gasoline to any station that wants it for OPE users.
I have a Tanaka TCB 340 32 cc 1.8 hp String Trimmer I bought in 2004 and still has the original plug and have never had to do a carb. job on it. Run 100% pure gas and Stihl synthetic oil in it. I rest my case.