Standard spark plugs vs. iridium.........

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yup..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Standard copper plugs with no resistor if you can snag them. No need to reinvent the wheel.
This will change the timing of the spark or top be more precise allow the spark to jump at a lower voltage .
This can lead to the spark tacking down the sides .
Electricity can not be made to move faster other than by super cooling the conductors
So all circuitry slows the electricity down
The circuitry in the magneto is designed to slow the spark down just the right amount of time .
Lowering the resistance will allow it to happen earlier than planned
Weather this is significant or not in a mower engine is a matter of opinion

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back in the 90s the 5hp briggs go cart racers had the resistor vs nonresistor debate. The most difference i ever saw was about 1 degree of difference which is insignificant in any stock enhine. On some small 2 strokes with low energy magnetos using a resistor plug OR too wide of a gap can cause poor running due to misfires.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back in the 90s the 5hp briggs go cart racers had the resistor vs nonresistor debate. The most difference i ever saw was about 1 degree of difference which is insignificant in any stock enhine. On some small 2 strokes with low energy magnetos using a resistor plug OR too wide of a gap can cause poor running due to misfires.
And many a tug to fire off the ol' girl.

Tucson47

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, I would not spend the money on Iridium.
I switched to Champion's "EcoClean" plugs on my AC130 for quicker cold starts. They function with the same performance benefits as an Iridium plug, in that they both have the very fine wire electrode......just not the precious metal, nor the $$$ price tag. They do however last WAY longer than a standard wide tipped spark plug.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone have in specific info on the difference between champion regular, long life and eco clean plugs?

Joed756

Threads
I've spent over 5o years now mowing lawns and most of that time I'm letting my mind wander just imagining how much better my life would be with exotic metal spark plugs in my mower.

Joed756

Threads
I'd say iridium are for sure "better" technically and they will last longer assuming you have no negative factors affecting the plugs like overheating or fouling. With that said - will you EVER realize any real benefits to justify the costs? Probably not.

Our airplane has a 5.9 liter 6 cylinder air cooled engine making 200hp turning 2700 rpm with dual spark plugs and dual independent magneto fixed timing ignition. Fairly similar to a mower engine in hp per liter and RPM. We run iridium plugs in it because of significantly longer plug life, slightly better low idle smoothness (maybe), easier starting (maybe), and reduced maintenance because the electrodes for them are smaller and re-gapping isn't required. Regular copper plugs last ~400 hours in an aircraft engine, and iridium plugs (also known as "fine wires") can last up to 2000 hours. It's worth it on the aircraft despite some absolutely eye watering prices.

I wouldn't bother on a lawn mower engine though despite the technology being superior. It just doesn't practically make a big enough difference and swapping a plug on a mower every 250 - 500 hours and takes all of 2 minutes and will probably never save you money or hassle.

Yes it's better, no you probably don't need or want it.
Why dual spark plugs? Is it for redundancy sake or a more thorough burn?

Joed756

Threads
"genuine parts that were supposed to be sent for scrap recovery but got diverted by a middle man to be sold to cheapskates."

I had a friend who's job it was to take the dented, damaged Bud cans from the brewery to be destroyed. A lot of them seemed to fall from the truck. I am a cheapskate, but couldn't see a downside there.