Standard spark plugs vs. iridium.........

BTBO

Threads
I have a Scag Liberty 48" with the Kawasaki FR651V. All is well in terms how it runs, but at some point will change the spark plugs. Do the iridium plugs have enough benefits to justify the higher cost?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No
But I fear we will end up with another synthetic vs plain oil or detergent vs non detergent oil type debate .
Every one who does not have the background knowledge to understand the what & whys will come in ardently throwing hundreds of you tube videos from equally ignorant ego maniacs as if that is somehow proof of some sort , along the lines of east poo cause 5,000,000,000 can not all be wrong.
On some CAR engines the computer controllers need to get clean reliable signals and in that case the exotic metal plugs might be needed.
Mower engines are the cheapest engines that it is possible to make
They run relatively low compression,
They run fixed timing now everyone has given up on electronic variable timing
They run at a fixed speed
And the speed is very low.

Having said all of that, if your mower engine is worn out to the point it gobbles up a pint of oil every time you mow then the exotic plugs will still work long after standard plugs have given up the ghost .

Think about it.
A modern 500cc motorcycle engine is pumping out anything from 50 to 100 Hp with red lines around the 10,000 rpm mark and most of them a fine with standard plugs
A modern 500 Cc mower engine is hard put to pump out 20Hp.

But if it makes you feel better than the man next door then go ahead, the parts retailers need your money .

bkeller500

Threads
If you talking (2) spark plugs.......why not? Why not try them out and see if you notice any benefit?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
People have reported better throttle response with NGK iridium plugs.... however that may be the placebo effect.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My spark plug gets 200,000 miles in my string trimmer before I have to replace it.