Should ZTR operators be ticketed if the ROPS bar is removed?

Should ZTR owners be fined if the ROPS is missing?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • No.

Votes: 63 94.0%

• Total voters

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Should ZTR operators be ticketed if the ROPS bar is removed?
If I ran a big zero with rops I would probably tell my customers that I need to trim there trees and it will cost $x.xx or I can't use the big machine and have to charge much more per cut to use the 21"

But that's me and I don't use a big machine
That might work up there where you live. Down here in our part of the world it is very economically depressed. Some body else will cut it without cutting the limbs. If we cut 1/2 acre lots that might happen. Monday and Tuesday we cut 40 acres. This coming week we will cut a 7 acre property with many trees. We cut a lot of 1 acre or more. Many times we are cutting stuff that is borderline of ending to be bush hogged masthead of cut with a mower.......

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
That might work up there where you live. Down here in our part of the world it is very economically depressed. Some body else will cut it without cutting the limbs. If we cut 1/2 acre lots that might happen. Monday and Tuesday we cut 40 acres. This coming week we will cut a 7 acre property with many trees. We cut a lot of 1 acre or more. Many times we are cutting stuff that is borderline of ending to be bush hogged masthead of cut with a mower.......

City people don't understand what it's like to cut grass in the country.

I loose my hat 10 times a day on tree limbs

My wife has a few pics that you can just see my head popping up out of the grass/weeds. Got a call from a guy with 10 acres wanted it cut and looking good. I got there and it was 6 foot tall and full if Bradford pear trees. I told him he needs to find someone to cut rake and bale it.

Fuzzy1

Threads
WHO would write the enforcement ticket ???

Tom59

Threads
WHO would write the enforcement ticket ???

It's absurd ....but , if you write a ticket out send the fine to me. :biggrin:

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
This topic is crazy. That would be an unenforceable law. Just look at the points brought up in the first few points. You can't use laws to single out particular groups of people. It would be discriminating if you only ticketed lawn care professionals. Just because one mower has seat belts and a roll bar and another doesn't how could anyone justify ticketing the mower owner who had the safety equipment. If there were laws passed to ticket people from removing safety equipment then the law would also have to require all new mowers built (tractor or ztr, commercial or residential) have the same safety equipment. The equipment is on there and is recommended to cover the manufacturer in case of lawsuit. The law would never be passed on the state or federal level. There maybe some crazy city governments who would pass a city ordinance for something like that. In that case enforcement would fall onto the city's police department. I have seen some crazy ordinances in my career in law enforcement ( example: an ordinance against leaving garbage cans near the curb. Luckily I don't work for a city department anymore), but that one would top them all.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Personally I think people who suggest mess like that outta be fined. Operating a Zero Turn is more dangerous with a ROP up than it is down. I own three myself and operate one of them daily. I am sure that they can be flipped. However I have never seen one flipped. However having the ROP up on one is a daily collision with something. We run the ROPS folds on two and up on the third. The reason we leave it up is we use a bagger on that mower and can't leave it folded and open the bagger.

John R

Threads
I voted NO, I am sick and tired of the government mandating things I have to do.

I think the ROPS is a good idea because stupid people mow their lawns too.

It's hard to protect the stupid people.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We have a simple solution to these problens down here,

If an employee is using any equipment with any of the safety devices disabled then the owner of the equipment & the employer are charged and this is manditory.
If an owner injures theselves and any of the safety gear is bypassed then their insurance claim is declined and they have to foot the entire bill apart from hospital which is free.

It was a good idea till it went a bit too far and people lost their house because a sticker was not on a quad bike.

I have done more than 1 wheelie when testing a customers ZTR and finding a low sign, tree branch etc.