Should ZTR operators be ticketed if the ROPS bar is removed?

Should ZTR owners be fined if the ROPS is missing?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • No.

Votes: 63 94.0%

• Total voters

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Should ZTR operators be ticketed if the ROPS bar is removed?
I never updated my avatar picture(taken day of delivery). I have since installed a bimini sunshade, so lowering the ROPS is no longer an option. Besides...I re-emphasize....IMHO, "consumers" should not be "required" to have an active ROPS, only someone being paid for mowing with a ZTR. I've not "digested" the detailed information you provided regarding the OSHA mandate, but it confirmed what I kinda assumed.
Since it does appear I am guilty of a "double standard" I will try to find a more recent picture to post to this reply:0)

I don't believe there is anything to digest about that OSHA mandate, it has nothing to do with any equipment we use mowing lawns being paid or not. It doesn't confirm anything that I can see.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We run two zero turns commercially right now. Earlier this week we cut 40 acres. Because of the number of trees on this property there is absolutely no way we could have cut this property with the ROPS up on our mowers.

A zero turn is far more dangerous with a ROP in the upright position than it is in the down position. I have come closer to turning mine over with the ROPS in the folded position even because of limbs than having it on a very steep slope.

As for the Government getting involved and passing a law. Every thing they get involved with is usually a mess.

Like most beuracratic mess some person who knows little if anything about it sets the standards and the laws are passed accordingly.

Those that don't run one commercially ought not have an say so anyway. It makes about as much sense as saying a person who is a home owner should not be allowed to own one period.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
It comes down to personal preference. Some people like them some don't.

If I had employees running these machines I would make them use them unless there are over head obsticles. Because its not me and I don't trust other people. I would probably never run one with them up

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am one of the yes votes. No, I do not mow commercially. The reason I voted yes is clearly explained in Post#64. If I owned a lawn care business I would(and would require all of my workers to) use the ROPS for the reason(s) I stated earlier.

ROPS ON A zero turn are are more dangerous than running with out one. Running out in the real world that sun shade thingy would be gone in five minutes.

The problem with all of this is there are now so many rules and regulations in America that it is incredibly hard to do a job.

You guys that get to work in manicured yards in town and use small walk behinds or other types of mowers have a lot of things to deal with. Then there are those like myself that cut many times acres of grass. Many times there are many, many trees, many times the ground is rough, the slopes are steep. Safety is always something I stress for my helper and myself. However it gets to a point you do the job or go to the house and park the equipment or sell it.

Tom59

Threads
I never updated my avatar picture(taken day of delivery). I have since installed a bimini sunshade, so lowering the ROPS is no longer an option. Besides...I re-emphasize....IMHO, "consumers" should not be "required" to have an active ROPS, only someone being paid for mowing with a ZTR. I've not "digested" the detailed information you provided regarding the OSHA mandate, but it confirmed what I kinda assumed.
Since it does appear I am guilty of a "double standard" I will try to find a more recent picture to post to this reply:0)

Man, have a sense of humor. :thumbsup: I think people should make their own decision again their insurance costs go up if they have accidents. Simple capitalism.

Tom59

Threads
ROPS ON A zero turn are are more dangerous than running with out one. Running out in the real world that sun shade thingy would be gone in five minutes.

The problem with all of this is there are now so many rules and regulations in America that it is incredibly hard to do a job.

You guys that get to work in manicured yards in town and use small walk behinds or other types of mowers have a lot of things to deal with. Then there are those like myself that cut many times acres of grass. Many times there are many, many trees, many times the ground is rough, the slopes are steep. Safety is always something I stress for my helper and myself. However it gets to a point you do the job or go to the house and park the equipment or sell it.

44 people are agreeing with you. I've almost flipped mine over it got hung up on a hanging garden I have. Scared the bezesus out of me. I have trouble mowing around my boat too , it hits. I also have a low overhang on one of my out buildings even though I'm VERY aware of these things I do forget. I get pine needles galore down my back from the cedar trees. Cannot imagine doing a hundred or so yards like my friends business.
I worked for him a few times to bail him out - I always unless doing severe inclines leave the rops down. On my big tractor it never goes down ever.
I also have a sunshade on it , but made the mounts so I can just take it off no tools.

They NEVER mention since ROPS were installed how many lives it saved. They just legislate this for lawyers and suits.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Personally I think having or running with a ROPS should come down to How you work, Where you are working and What kind of job you're doing. The Rops wasn't originally intended for ZTR mowers or anything that we use in lawncare. They were used on heavy equipment used in agriculture and the construction industry. As far as I know there is no law that state anyone has to have a rops on a lawn mower it's totally up to the individual and what he wants to do.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
44 people are agreeing with you. I've almost flipped mine over it got hung up on a hanging garden I have. Scared the bezesus out of me. I have trouble mowing around my boat too , it hits. I also have a low overhang on one of my out buildings even though I'm VERY aware of these things I do forget. I get pine needles galore down my back from the cedar trees. Cannot imagine doing a hundred or so yards like my friends business. I worked for him a few times to bail him out - I always unless doing severe inclines leave the rops down. On my big tractor it never goes down ever. I also have a sunshade on it , but made the mounts so I can just take it off no tools. They NEVER mention since ROPS were installed how many lives it saved. They just legislate this for lawyers and suits.

I totally agree with you on having it up on the tractor. That is one of my cases in point as well. A tractor has a very much higher center of gravity. I have seen farm tractors turn over on almost level ground.

We run zero turns daily. I totally hope we do not flip one. I do realize that so many times we like most in the business put them in bad places that are at times dangerous. Safety should always be in the forefront of our minds when operating equipment. I agree that there is a place for ROPS. Requiring a commercial operator to use one on a zero turn or fining him for not doing so is ludicrous.

Normally all it takes is one idiot who has a passion for some ridicoulas law like that to gain the ear of the right lawyers who really don't know what a zero turn does and we have a new law that those of us who use them for a living have for to contend with.

Running with one not up on hillsides is possibly dangerous. I honestly think you would have to run one off the side of something to roll it. Running with one up where trees and other over head obstructions is more dangerous however because when one is operating on a questionable slope he normally is fully aware of what is happening. On the other hand he will be focusing on the ground where he is cutting and the overhead obstruction has him. Plus an overhead obstruction on any kind of slope which is not uncommon at all could be devastating.

Nwatson99

Threads
I do not mow commercially, but I own a commercial mower and I keep my trees cut to not hang up on my ROPS.
It is just my preference but I leave mine in the upper position due to if I ever lose it and got into the pond it might buy me enough time to un-click and get out before it drowns my butt.

Safety, Insurance, and liability wise yes they should be left up, but the decision falls to the operator. Now with that note if an operator is mowing a steep embankment sideways then yes they should have the intelligence to restore the ROPS up until finished, if they roll a commercial machine without the ROPS it is doubtful they will live so Safety First should be number 1.

Last edited:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I ran a big zero with rops I would probably tell my customers that I need to trim there trees and it will cost $x.xx or I can't use the big machine and have to charge much more per cut to use the 21"

But that's me and I don't use a big machine