Sea foam.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey DJ, do you use stabilizer in your non ethanol fuel? I've just started using ethanol free gas in my mowers etc.

Bomba,
Yes, I still add the regular(red) Stabil to the non-ethanol gas as an additional preventive measure(particularly for any gas left in one of the tanks when I store the ZTR for the fall-winter season).

Bullseye

Threads
Anyone ever use Sea foam in their equipment?

Yep! Lawnmowers, tractor, weed whacker, chainsaws, leaf blowers, lawn vac-chipper-shredder, and our cars. That stuff helps that alcohol garbage that is sold in lieu of real gasoline.

I've had Stabil go bad in its own bottle - it has a short shelf life.

A little Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas helps older engines.

No one else has mentioned this yet so I'll give the best time and money saving tip of the thread: Sea Foam Spray. Really good stuff. It's like a mechanic in an aerosol can. A can last a long time and fixes many small engine problems. Many times a single shot will clear a problem. It comes with a long tube applicator for sealed intakes. I usually just remove the air cleaner and spray with the engine running - whew! Stinks up a storm! But many times that's all that is needed. This product has saved me from rebuilding carburetors that just needed a good cleaning. Wear goggles and enjoy Spring!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep! Lawnmowers, tractor, weed whacker, chainsaws, leaf blowers, lawn vac-chipper-shredder, and our cars. That stuff helps that alcohol garbage that is sold in lieu of real gasoline.

I've had Stabil go bad in its own bottle - it has a short shelf life.

A little Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas helps older engines.

No one else has mentioned this yet so I'll give the best time and money saving tip of the thread: Sea Foam Spray. Really good stuff. It's like a mechanic in an aerosol can. A can last a long time and fixes many small engine problems. Many times a single shot will clear a problem. It comes with a long tube applicator for sealed intakes. I usually just remove the air cleaner and spray with the engine running - whew! Stinks up a storm! But many times that's all that is needed. This product has saved me from rebuilding carburetors that just needed a good cleaning. Wear goggles and enjoy Spring!

Bullseye,

Can you more clearly define "short shelf life" on an opened bottle of Stabil(how old was yours that "went bad")?? I've got some I bought a bottle last Spring and planned on using it this Spring. Thinking maybe I need to buy "smaller" bottles of it that won't sit around for a long time before I use them up!!

Bullseye

Threads
Bullseye,

Can you more clearly define "short shelf life" on an opened bottle of Stabil(how old was yours that "went bad")?? I've got some I bought a bottle last Spring and planned on using it this Spring. Thinking maybe I need to buy "smaller" bottles of it that won't sit around for a long time before I use them up!!

I no longer have any Stabil to read the labels, but I think in has a two year shelf life. Back in a second...

From the goldeagle.com faq page:

Q: What is the shelf life of STA-BILョ Fuel Stabilizer?
A: The shelf life of all STA-BILョ brand products is 2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place. If the product has not yet been opened, you should use the color of the fluid as an indicator. If the product is still bright red, it is fine to use. If the product has turned to a very dark red (or brown) color, we recommend purchasing a new bottle. It will not harm anything if you use an old bottle of STA-BILョ brand, it just may not be as effective.

When mine went "aged" it started to get little dark red to black 2-3 mm pieces in it. I thought it might clog a filter so I ran it through a coffee filter and poured it in the cars. Here's another tip: Next time you replace a coffee maker keep the basket that holds the filter. The Mr. Coffee type filters are an inexpensive way to filter fuels and solvents. Haven't had good luck filtering paint with them.

Some Spring, had to use the snowblower to clean the driveway this morning. I'm itching to cut our grass with our Honda and Deere.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I no longer have any Stabil to read the labels, but I think in has a two year shelf life. Back in a second...

From the goldeagle.com faq page:

Q: What is the shelf life of STA-BILョ Fuel Stabilizer?
A: The shelf life of all STA-BILョ brand products is 2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place. If the product has not yet been opened, you should use the color of the fluid as an indicator. If the product is still bright red, it is fine to use. If the product has turned to a very dark red (or brown) color, we recommend purchasing a new bottle. It will not harm anything if you use an old bottle of STA-BILョ brand, it just may not be as effective.

When mine went "aged" it started to get little dark red to black 2-3 mm pieces in it. I thought it might clog a filter so I ran it through a coffee filter and poured it in the cars. Here's another tip: Next time you replace a coffee maker keep the basket that holds the filter. The Mr. Coffee type filters are an inexpensive way to filter fuels and solvents. Haven't had good luck filtering paint with them.

Some Spring, had to use the snowblower to clean the driveway this morning. I'm itching to cut our grass with our Honda and Deere.

Bullseye,

Thanks for looking into that and the advice!!! I probably read that on the Stabil label and just don't remember. I'll keep an eye on it for time since opened/changes in color. Thanks again!!

Threads
Bullseye,

Thanks for looking into that and the advice!!! I probably read that on the Stabil label and just don't remember. I'll keep an eye on it for time since opened/changes in color. Thanks again!!

The one I have reads 1 year but someone said they came out with a new version that last for years not just a year?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
The one I have reads 1 year but someone said they came out with a new version that last for years not just a year?

wjjones,

Is that "lasts up to a year protecting the gas it is mixed with".....or "lasts a year in the bottle, after opening, before mixing it with gas"? I think I recall it makes the gasoline it is mixed with good for at least a year.

Threads
wjjones,

Is that "lasts up to a year protecting the gas it is mixed with".....or "lasts a year in the bottle, after opening, before mixing it with gas"? I think I recall it makes the gasoline it is mixed with good for at least a year.

Yep it is supposed to keep the mixed gas good for 1 year but it seems like I heard they have a new formula that last longer now?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep it is supposed to keep the mixed gas good for 1 year but it seems like I heard they have a new formula that last longer now?

That's what I thought you meant.....user Bullseye was giving me advice on "the shelf life" of Stabil(in other words, if you open a bottle and only use a couple ounces of it in your gas and put the cap back on the bottle and put it away it won't be "effective" to protect gas if you forgot where you put the bottle for 2 years then find it & try to use it in gas).