Export thread

Sea foam.

wjjones

wjjones

Anyone ever use Sea foam in their equipment?

P

possum

Around here guys 60 and up still use Seafoam. My dealer sells those large bottles of Seafoam about 10 to 1 over the medium bottles of Stabil. He sells a little of the Briggs stuff as well. The guys useing it run it for fuel stabilizer and to put their stuff away for winter. They use the time honered method when putting away that was so popular in the hunting fishing magazines in the 70s for putting away ice augers. My fatherinlaw used it and left a new bottle of it behind when he passed on. Most of the old timers swear by it just like alot of them swear by MMO in their oil and or their gas. I use Stabil myself but only in the last few years.

metz12

metz12

Around here guys 60 and up still use Seafoam. My dealer sells those large bottles of Seafoam about 10 to 1 over the medium bottles of Stabil. He sells a little of the Briggs stuff as well. The guys useing it run it for fuel stabilizer and to put their stuff away for winter. They use the time honered method when putting away that was so popular in the hunting fishing magazines in the 70s for putting away ice augers. My fatherinlaw used it and left a new bottle of it behind when he passed on. Most of the old timers swear by it just like alot of them swear by MMO in their oil and or their gas. I use Stabil myself but only in the last few years.

i swear by the stuff. i use it in my truck, chainsaw, leaf blower, trimmer, mower/tractors, everything. if i get something that isnt running and im trying to get them started i pull the plug out, put a little in the the hole, pull the pull chord a couple times. it works really well.

wjjones

wjjones

I used it in my truck it really does work great, and I had heard you could use it in power equipment but wasnt sure.

metz12

metz12

I used it in my truck it really does work great, and I had heard you could use it in power equipment but wasnt sure.

yep, you can. it works well too!

wjjones

wjjones

My mower is due for an oil change before the season starts so I think I am going to give it a try.

metz12

metz12

My mower is due for an oil change before the season starts so I think I am going to give it a try.

i have to do it to both of my mowers. they are both due.

wjjones

wjjones

i have to do it to both of my mowers. they are both due.

I would with my other mower but I just finished seperating the engine to do some internal work, and while I was in there I polished that sucker to a shine. My older mower though has never been flushed, or had the oil pan cleaned out the one I did had crud in there 1/4th inch thick. Here is the sump/ oil pan.

Attachments

metz12

metz12

ohh i see.

djdicetn

djdicetn

possum,
I resemble that remark(guys 60 and up:0)......but kinda like you, I mostly use the Stabil(but I also run "non-ethanol" gas in my boat and all lawn equipment). I put Seafoam, though, in my boat at the end of last Summer because I filled it up at the beginning of Spring last year and only ran about a quarter tank out of it. Since the Seafoam(IMHO) is a "heavier duty" treatment than the Stabil, I decided to use if for winter storage in the boat. Also, I've read many testimonials that if you have any type of small engine that is reluctant to start up because it has been "compromised" by running ethanol gas in it that the Seafoam will definitely get it going again. Seafoam also got my 1995 Chevy truck to pass emission testing one year after it failed the first test. After that, I started putting a fuel system treatment in the truck each year and it hasn't failed since. That Seafoam is indeed good stuff!!!

wjjones

wjjones

possum,
I resemble that remark(guys 60 and up:0)......but kinda like you, I mostly use the Stabil(but I also run "non-ethanol" gas in my boat and all lawn equipment). I put Seafoam, though, in my boat at the end of last Summer because I filled it up at the beginning of Spring last year and only ran about a quarter tank out of it. Since the Seafoam(IMHO) is a "heavier duty" treatment than the Stabil, I decided to use if for winter storage in the boat. Also, I've read many testimonials that if you have any type of small engine that is reluctant to start up because it has been "compromised" by running ethanol gas in it that the Seafoam will definitely get it going again. Seafoam also got my 1995 Chevy truck to pass emission testing one year after it failed the first test. After that, I started putting a fuel system treatment in the truck each year and it hasn't failed since. That Seafoam is indeed good stuff!!!

Yep it helps keep the varnish out from stale fuel.

L

LakeRat1

I was first turned on to Seafoam by a Boat Mech. i was having a problem with a 115 yamha, he told me to put a
strong dose in the gas, crank the motor let it run 5 min. then kill it and let it set 1 hour, did as i was told, that fixed
my problem, the Fuel Injectors must have been dirty, any way after that, i started using in in all my small stuff,
I add a couple oz. to the tank when a unit has been setting a while, but i also add Marine Stabil to my gas cans before
i go to pick up gas, I just dont want any trouble, I only buy Non Ethanol Gas, for all my Boats & and Yard Equipment, I know
a lot of you are not so lucky, if i were you'll i would look around and see of there is any such station in your area, That
Ethanol Gas is not good to use in your small motors, or boat motors

Bomba

Bomba

possum,

Hey DJ, do you use stabilizer in your non ethanol fuel? I've just started using ethanol free gas in my mowers etc.

Bomba

Bomba

I was first turned on to Seafoam by a Boat Mech. i was having a problem with a 115 yamha, he told me to put a
strong dose in the gas, crank the motor let it run 5 min. then kill it and let it set 1 hour, did as i was told, that fixed
my problem, the Fuel Injectors must have been dirty, any way after that, i started using in in all my small stuff,
I add a couple oz. to the tank when a unit has been setting a while, but i also add Marine Stabil to my gas cans before
i go to pick up gas, I just dont want any trouble, I only buy Non Ethanol Gas, for all my Boats & and Yard Equipment, I know
a lot of you are not so lucky, if i were you'll i would look around and see of there is any such station in your area, That
Ethanol Gas is not good to use in your small motors, or boat motors

Do u use stabilizers in your ethanol-free gas?

L

LakeRat1

Yes I use Marine Stabil in all the Non Ethanol gas, i pick up 10 gal at a time, and i put 1 oz of stabil in each 5 gal can, bsfore I go to fill up
my reason for doinfg so is it fights moisture, and i dont know how long some of my stuff will set before i use it
again, if i were using a can of gas every day or so, no i would not treat it, but in my case i have 3 boats, 2 mowere,
a power washer, & a 4 wheeler , chain saw, and a weed eater, i use the same gas in it all, a qt. of the Marine stabil last me over a year, just to cheap to take a chance

Bomba

Bomba

Yes I use Marine Stabil in all the Non Ethanol gas, i pick up 10 gal at a time, and i put 1 oz of stabil in each 5 gal can, bsfore I go to fill up
my reason for doinfg so is it fights moisture, and i dont know how long some of my stuff will set before i use it
again, if i were using a can of gas every day or so, no i would not treat it, but in my case i have 3 boats, 2 mowere,
a power washer, & a 4 wheeler , chain saw, and a weed eater, i use the same gas in it all, a qt. of the Marine stabil last me over a year, just to cheap to take a chance

Yes, I use stabil now in all my gas. I know that the stihl oil I mix with gas for my 4 mix engines are treats with stabilizers already, but like u say its cheap over the long run. Totally worth the peace of mind.

Bomba

Bomba

Yes, I use stabil now in all my gas. I know that the stihl oil I mix with gas for my 4 mix engines are treats with stabilizers already, but like u say its cheap over the long run. Totally worth the peace of mind.

I meant 4 mix*

L

LakeRat1

Bomba, when my JD 445 LT was about a year old one of the Valves would stick even now and then, took it back
to the Dealer, the Mech. told me that they had a couple others doing the same thing, this was back in 2002,
he said that since they had quite putting lead in gas that it was so dry that the vakve stems were running dry,
about that same time I read a artical in a Farm Maz. about the same problem, & this Guy recomened that people add
4 oz. of Marvel Mistery Oil in each 10 gal. of gas, well I got a Gal and started adding 2 oz. to each 5 gal, along with
the Marine Stabil, once i started doing that no more problem, & i know that the Marvel Mistery Oil can't do nothing
but help all my different Motors, Both 2 cy. & 4 cy. I have forgot what a gal cost, but it last for ever, 128 oz to a gal.
that's a lot of fill ups, a gal last me about 2 or 3 years, I took one of the old Qt. bottles that Marine Stabil comes in.
and use it to measure out the Marvel Mistery Oil, I just relabeled it, makes it easy, Just refill it from the Gal can that i buy it in, on the 2 cy. engines, I still add the amount of oil that is called for. most are 50-1, Every thing is running good, so if it ant
broke don't try and fix it, that the way i look at what i add to my gas, There are to many other place to try and save
a little money, other than on the engines, my 4 wheeler has right at 5000 miles on it, just tuch the starter bittom & it
Fires up, and the same for my other stuff,

Bomba

Bomba

Bomba, when my JD 445 LT was about a year old one of the Valves would stick even now and then, took it back
to the Dealer, the Mech. told me that they had a couple others doing the same thing, this was back in 2002,
he said that since they had quite putting lead in gas that it was so dry that the vakve stems were running dry,
about that same time I read a artical in a Farm Maz. about the same problem, & this Guy recomened that people add
4 oz. of Marvel Mistery Oil in each 10 gal. of gas, well I got a Gal and started adding 2 oz. to each 5 gal, along with
the Marine Stabil, once i started doing that no more problem, & i know that the Marvel Mistery Oil can't do nothing
but help all my different Motors, Both 2 cy. & 4 cy. I have forgot what a gal cost, but it last for ever, 128 oz to a gal.
that's a lot of fill ups, a gal last me about 2 or 3 years, I took one of the old Qt. bottles that Marine Stabil comes in.
and use it to measure out the Marvel Mistery Oil, I just relabeled it, makes it easy, Just refill it from the Gal can that i buy it in, on the 2 cy. engines, I still add the amount of oil that is called for. most are 50-1, Every thing is running good, so if it ant
broke don't try and fix it, that the way i look at what i add to my gas, There are to many other place to try and save
a little money, other than on the engines, my 4 wheeler has right at 5000 miles on it, just tuch the starter bittom & it
Fires up, and the same for my other stuff,

Yes, if it works and its not doing any damage to the engine then it's a no-brainer. I will never use ethanol in my equipment again if I can help it. I'm lucky that there is Gas station 3 miles from me that sells 100% gasoline. The Exmark dealer where I bought my mower recommended 100% gasoline when he delivered my new mower to my house. It's a little bit more expensive but a lot less expensive than having my mower and equipment worked on.

D

diehardmason

I have used Seafoam for about 4 years now. It works great. Use it in the boat, trucks, lawn equipment too. I have used MMO, but, I always wondered if I can use MMO and Seafoam at the same time. In my opinion, Seafoam has the greater benefit so I use it instead of the MMO. However, I would love to use both of them. Just not sure if it will damage anything.

We use Seafoam in the 60 power units we have at the job. I've seen an engine knocking and with the addition of the Seafoam into the oil it would stop! Made me start using it.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Hey DJ, do you use stabilizer in your non ethanol fuel? I've just started using ethanol free gas in my mowers etc.

Bomba,
Yes, I still add the regular(red) Stabil to the non-ethanol gas as an additional preventive measure(particularly for any gas left in one of the tanks when I store the ZTR for the fall-winter season).

B

Bullseye

Anyone ever use Sea foam in their equipment?

Yep! Lawnmowers, tractor, weed whacker, chainsaws, leaf blowers, lawn vac-chipper-shredder, and our cars. That stuff helps that alcohol garbage that is sold in lieu of real gasoline.

I've had Stabil go bad in its own bottle - it has a short shelf life.

A little Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas helps older engines.

No one else has mentioned this yet so I'll give the best time and money saving tip of the thread: Sea Foam Spray. Really good stuff. It's like a mechanic in an aerosol can. A can last a long time and fixes many small engine problems. Many times a single shot will clear a problem. It comes with a long tube applicator for sealed intakes. I usually just remove the air cleaner and spray with the engine running - whew! Stinks up a storm! But many times that's all that is needed. This product has saved me from rebuilding carburetors that just needed a good cleaning. Wear goggles and enjoy Spring!

djdicetn

djdicetn

Yep! Lawnmowers, tractor, weed whacker, chainsaws, leaf blowers, lawn vac-chipper-shredder, and our cars. That stuff helps that alcohol garbage that is sold in lieu of real gasoline.

I've had Stabil go bad in its own bottle - it has a short shelf life.

A little Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas helps older engines.

No one else has mentioned this yet so I'll give the best time and money saving tip of the thread: Sea Foam Spray. Really good stuff. It's like a mechanic in an aerosol can. A can last a long time and fixes many small engine problems. Many times a single shot will clear a problem. It comes with a long tube applicator for sealed intakes. I usually just remove the air cleaner and spray with the engine running - whew! Stinks up a storm! But many times that's all that is needed. This product has saved me from rebuilding carburetors that just needed a good cleaning. Wear goggles and enjoy Spring!

Bullseye,

Can you more clearly define "short shelf life" on an opened bottle of Stabil(how old was yours that "went bad")?? I've got some I bought a bottle last Spring and planned on using it this Spring. Thinking maybe I need to buy "smaller" bottles of it that won't sit around for a long time before I use them up!!

B

Bullseye

Bullseye,

Can you more clearly define "short shelf life" on an opened bottle of Stabil(how old was yours that "went bad")?? I've got some I bought a bottle last Spring and planned on using it this Spring. Thinking maybe I need to buy "smaller" bottles of it that won't sit around for a long time before I use them up!!

I no longer have any Stabil to read the labels, but I think in has a two year shelf life. Back in a second...

From the goldeagle.com faq page:

Q: What is the shelf life of STA-BILョ Fuel Stabilizer?
A: The shelf life of all STA-BILョ brand products is 2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place. If the product has not yet been opened, you should use the color of the fluid as an indicator. If the product is still bright red, it is fine to use. If the product has turned to a very dark red (or brown) color, we recommend purchasing a new bottle. It will not harm anything if you use an old bottle of STA-BILョ brand, it just may not be as effective.

When mine went "aged" it started to get little dark red to black 2-3 mm pieces in it. I thought it might clog a filter so I ran it through a coffee filter and poured it in the cars. Here's another tip: Next time you replace a coffee maker keep the basket that holds the filter. The Mr. Coffee type filters are an inexpensive way to filter fuels and solvents. Haven't had good luck filtering paint with them.

Some Spring, had to use the snowblower to clean the driveway this morning. I'm itching to cut our grass with our Honda and Deere.

djdicetn

djdicetn

I no longer have any Stabil to read the labels, but I think in has a two year shelf life. Back in a second...

From the goldeagle.com faq page:

Q: What is the shelf life of STA-BILョ Fuel Stabilizer?
A: The shelf life of all STA-BILョ brand products is 2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place. If the product has not yet been opened, you should use the color of the fluid as an indicator. If the product is still bright red, it is fine to use. If the product has turned to a very dark red (or brown) color, we recommend purchasing a new bottle. It will not harm anything if you use an old bottle of STA-BILョ brand, it just may not be as effective.

When mine went "aged" it started to get little dark red to black 2-3 mm pieces in it. I thought it might clog a filter so I ran it through a coffee filter and poured it in the cars. Here's another tip: Next time you replace a coffee maker keep the basket that holds the filter. The Mr. Coffee type filters are an inexpensive way to filter fuels and solvents. Haven't had good luck filtering paint with them.

Some Spring, had to use the snowblower to clean the driveway this morning. I'm itching to cut our grass with our Honda and Deere.

Bullseye,

Thanks for looking into that and the advice!!! I probably read that on the Stabil label and just don't remember. I'll keep an eye on it for time since opened/changes in color. Thanks again!!

wjjones

wjjones

Bullseye,

Thanks for looking into that and the advice!!! I probably read that on the Stabil label and just don't remember. I'll keep an eye on it for time since opened/changes in color. Thanks again!!

The one I have reads 1 year but someone said they came out with a new version that last for years not just a year?

djdicetn

djdicetn

The one I have reads 1 year but someone said they came out with a new version that last for years not just a year?

wjjones,

Is that "lasts up to a year protecting the gas it is mixed with".....or "lasts a year in the bottle, after opening, before mixing it with gas"? I think I recall it makes the gasoline it is mixed with good for at least a year.

wjjones

wjjones

wjjones,

Is that "lasts up to a year protecting the gas it is mixed with".....or "lasts a year in the bottle, after opening, before mixing it with gas"? I think I recall it makes the gasoline it is mixed with good for at least a year.

Yep it is supposed to keep the mixed gas good for 1 year but it seems like I heard they have a new formula that last longer now?

djdicetn

djdicetn

Yep it is supposed to keep the mixed gas good for 1 year but it seems like I heard they have a new formula that last longer now?

That's what I thought you meant.....user Bullseye was giving me advice on "the shelf life" of Stabil(in other words, if you open a bottle and only use a couple ounces of it in your gas and put the cap back on the bottle and put it away it won't be "effective" to protect gas if you forgot where you put the bottle for 2 years then find it & try to use it in gas).

jakewells

jakewells

I don't use seafoam i use berryman products

L

LakeRat1

Talking about Stabil, the Marine Stabil is better than the reg. stabil, in MOP, the Marine Stabil is Blue, Where the Reg Stabil is Red, i have read a couple articals stating this, i switched to the Marine Stabil about 2 years ago, toward the end of the season I start using a double dose in my gas so that what ever is left over will have more life to it,

M

motoman

Bullseye,Good tip on the coffee filter.

In this forum somewhere I remember a link that steered people to (rural) gas stations serving non ethanol gas.

wjjones

wjjones

I was wondering if the seafoam works better as a cleaner, or fuel stabilzer?

R

Rivets

Here's the link you wanted motorman.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

B

Bullseye

I was wondering if the seafoam works better as a cleaner, or fuel stabilzer?

Sea Foam has many products. Check here:

Sea Foam Sales Company

The spray is a cleaner. The pour-in Motor Treatment can condition the fuel and/or oil.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Rivets,
Wished I had thought about posting that link while posting in "ethanol-related" threads. That's what I used to locate local stations because I won't run anything else in my lawn & garden equipment and boat!!! I just readied the ZTR & string trimmer for the season this past weekend and purchased some non-ethanol Mid-Grade gas for them. I was surprised it hadn't gone up that much since last summer(the Regular was 3.79, the Mid-Grade was 3.93 and the Premium was $4.15) and it is worth every penny over that 10% ethanol junk!!!!

R

rfl

Rivets,
Wished I had thought about posting that link while posting in "ethanol-related" threads. That's what I used to locate local stations because I won't run anything else in my lawn & garden equipment and boat!!! I just readied the ZTR & string trimmer for the season this past weekend and purchased some non-ethanol Mid-Grade gas for them. I was surprised it hadn't gone up that much since last summer(the Regular was 3.79, the Mid-Grade was 3.93 and the Premium was $4.15) and it is worth every penny over that 10% ethanol junk!!!!

I have used both Seafoam and Stabil. I find Stabil easier to mix and I have never had a problem with either of them. I run Stabil in all of my small gas engines year around and has solved any problems I used to have with running engines out of fuel for the winter. I start all of my equipment and let it run in the winter time to make sure all seals and carb parts have Stabil treated fuel in them. I guess I have never had a problem with it going bad because I use enough of it that it does not sit that long. I missed one season not using Stabil over the winter and I paid the price. I will not use alcohol based fuels since it tends to attract moisture. The only other problem I had with Stabil, I poured five gallon of mixed fuel in my sons 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix and it turned the check engine light on until the next fill up. The light went out after refueling his car
rfl