Scag Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

tigercat

Threads
Hi everyone. My name is Bob and I found the forum thru a google search. I own a Scag Tiger Cat with a 52" deck for my property. It will be used for the first time in 6 hours to finish up my fall clean-up. The old machine just can't do the job without daily breakdowns, I finally broke down and bought a top end machine for my property. I look forward in running it and not breaking down at every turn!

Threads
Hi everyone. My name is Bob and I found the forum thru a google search. I own a Scag Tiger Cat with a 52" deck for my property. It will be used for the first time in 6 hours to finish up my fall clean-up. The old machine just can't do the job without daily breakdowns, I finally broke down and bought a top end machine for my property. I look forward in running it and not breaking down at every turn!

You have a nice mower! :thumbsup: WELCOME TO LMF, Bob!
If you have a picture of your mower we would love to see it!

Last edited:

tigercat

Threads
Here you go. :smile:

Last edited:

pjm123a

Forum Newbie
Threads
My name is Paul. I had a SCAG Tiger Cub that I brought new 7 years ago. It caught fire recently and pretty much burned to the ground. I intend to rebuild it and have just started the process. I am working on the chassis now. I have brought a used SCAG Turf Tiger that I intend to use for mowing chores while re-building the Cub. In the end, I want to use the Turf Tiger as the primary mower and the Tiger Cub as the backup. I am a homeowner who lives on 10 acres. I also occasionally do some mowing for my neighbors.

Attachments

• IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 54

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
My name is Paul. I had a SCAG Tiger Cub that I brought new 7 years ago. It caught fire recently and pretty much burned to the ground. I intend to rebuild it and have just started the process. I am working on the chassis now. I have brought a used SCAG Turf Tiger that I intend to use for mowing chores while re-building the Cub. In the end, I want to use the Turf Tiger as the primary mower and the Tiger Cub as the backup. I am a homeowner who lives on 10 acres. I also occasionally do some mowing for my neighbors.

Do you know or have any idea what started the fire? I have heard of several Tiger Cubs burning over the years, but no comments about how the fire started.:confused2:
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Paul... I'm with Mad Mackie and the question ... What caused the fire. If you can determine why it happened you will be able to prevent another one for yourself & you may help others prevent a similar circumstance...
When did it start? while in use? Electrical, Oil or Fuel, grass, friction heat build-up... as the initial source ???
If you have any idea, post back... :smile:KennyV

pjm123a

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have no idea. I was just mowing like always and smelled something burning. Got off the seat and looked towards the back and saw nothing. Flipped up the seat and saw flames licking up the front of the engine which was still running. I took off my shirt and tried to beat it out but it was already too late. As the flames got close to the gas tanks, I backed away and dialed 911. Within less than 2 minutes of smelling something burning, the whole thing was engulfed in flames and the surrounding grass was starting to burn. The fire dept showed up and the fire was out within 15 minutes (seemed like an eternity). The fire dept guys told me that mower fires are not that uncommon around these parts (SW FL) this time of year as we are in our dry season. It is quite dry. Bottom line is that my mower went up in a burst of flames and there was nothing I could do but watch. I will never mow again without a fire extinguisher on board.

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 47

pjm123a

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Kenny, I know there was a recall on SCAGs from about my year because of fire issues. I checked my serial number and it was not part of the recall. Also all the recalled ones ended up having Kawasaki motors and I had a Kohler. I don't know but believe one of 2 things happened. Either something in the fuel system let go or I ran over something woody as I had just mowed around some trees and it got wedged near a pulley or a belt and the friction ignited it. I don't suppose it is really possible to ever know for sure. The rear engine design of a ZTR is great from the perspective that you get lots of visibility up front and it gives you a nice low center of gravity. The price you pay for that though is that something like this can happen and sneak up on you. People also shouldn't be lulled into thinking that their insurance is the answer (at least for homeowner's insurance). My deductible is $2500. A 7 year old mower (while it was worth a lot to me) is not going to be worth much more than that in an insurance settlement. There was no point in my even filing a claim. Best insurance in a case like this is a fire extinguisher. In the end, I consider myself lucky that I did not get hurt and that I wasn't anywhere near where something else could catch fire (although I was a bit nervous about a grass fire before the fire department got there).

Threads
WELCOME TO LMF, pjm123a. I'm sorry about what happened to your Scag! :frown: