Rust pulleys/bolts on brand new machine?

kwak

Threads
Okay thanks for the info MM! I'll order exact replacements on the bolts and nuts.

I would ask the dealer if he would replace them before I bought some. It would be worth a shot.

David Giles

Threads
I would ask the dealer if he would replace them before I bought some. It would be worth a shot.

Yeah I WISH I had noticed yesterday and had the dealer change them out while they had the machine. But unfortunately the dealer is about a 45 minute drive, so it would cost me less to order from McMaster, or just buy them locally.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I see it you are over reacting. Put a little paint on the bolts if you don't like the looks of them, then use and enjoy your mower. Its a mower not a show peace.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The unit likely was shifted from a dealer that stored his new units outside, and the dist. and maybe your dealer are playing a little shell game with you....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The unit likely was shifted from a dealer that stored his new units outside, and the dist. and maybe your dealer are playing a little shell game with you....

It may even be a 2012 model.......

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
As I see it you are over reacting. Put a little paint on the bolts if you don't like the looks of them, then use and enjoy your mower. Its a mower not a show peace.
Of course reynoldston, everyone that I have done business with over the last 58 years was always very happy receiving a new product with weeping rust and had no problem dabbing paint to cover up the rust, Yea right!!!! Let me check my list, just as I thought, nobody!!!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Very likely had been stored outside still crated but not completely covered.
Also the online operators manual had been updated with REV. 01 on 2/2013, so it may very well be a 2012 model which is OK as Scag does 2 year runs of most models and they don't designate specific model years to their machines.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

David Giles

Threads

I wasn't concerned about the "look" of the rust, and I don't expect this mower to be a show piece. But I would like to get the maximum service life out of this machine (or maximum resale value if that is ever necessary) and I'd rather not give rust a head start on degrading the functionality, serviceability, OR resale value of the unit. So if you consider replacing three or four rusty bolts with fresh bolts to be over reacting, then I'm guilty as charged. :rolleyes:

David Giles

Threads
The unit likely was shifted from a dealer that stored his new units outside, and the dist. and maybe your dealer are playing a little shell game with you...

Based on the Serial number I do think it was manufactured in 2012. And you're right that it could have spent some time at another dealer's facility and was possibly stored outside at some point. But other than the rust on the bolts mentioned, the REST of the machine was immaculate with no other sign of rust, scratches, dust, grass, oil, etc. It literally looked like it just came out of the crate. The engine runs perfectly and it cuts like a dream. And I got a fantastic deal on it, so believe me I don't mind changing out two or three bolts to fix the ONLY problem on the whole machine. :thumbsup:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi David,
There is an engine manufacturers production date code on the engine data plate, this would give you a better idea of machine manufacture date as most machines are built within 3-6 months of engine production date. At the moment I don't recall how to interpret the Kawasaki code, but it is usually fairly easy to do. My Tiger Cub was built in early 2007 and I purchased it in Aug of 2008 as a new machine and this is a normal situation. At that time I didn't know that the Tiger Cat would soon be released, but I needed a machine that day or soon after and my dealer had it in stock and ready to deliver.
Anyway, enjoy your new Tiger Cat and with 48 month no interest, it is a dream!!!
I would really like to buy a new 52" Tiger Cat, but my bride asked me what I thought of turning 75 before paying off the machine, my reply was what is wrong with paying cash, and her usual comment was " not only are you broke, but you are in debt", so I replied, "what is your point!!!!"
This is our usual back and forth!!!! This happens all the time!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited: