Raptor SD cut quality - any recommendations?

mooch91

Threads
All,

I love my Raptor SD 54, but I've been a little disappointed in the cut quality. I stepped up from a 36" Snapper Pro walk-behind that would vacuum and cut the lawn and make it look like a carpet when done.

The Raptor is doing a good job, just not excellent. It doesn't seem to get that vacuum effect like the Snapper did. For example, I used to run over twigs and sticks on the Snapper, and it would pick them up, chop them a bit, and spit them out. I've noticed that the Hustler rarely, if ever, lifts a twig or stick from the lawn. Same with stones - the edge of my property has a row of stones that I used to have to be careful with when using the Snapper (as it would lift them and discharge them). I can run over the stone edge with the Hustler with no worries of it lifting them up. With the Raptor, it generally seems as if the grass will lay down a bit while being cut instead of being lifted.

Seems as if I could get some more vacuum under the deck that I'd be able to get a better cut with the Raptor SD. At least that's my thought of what could improve the situation. I don't see anything else wrong with the mower (deck is level, blades are sharp), except for a little bit of clutch rattle when engaging the blades (but I don't suspect this would cause the cut issue).

Any recommendations on specific blades that can accomplish this? I know there are 5 blades listed in the Hustler parts manual (including what looks like Gator blades and high lift blades), but it's very hard to get a clear idea of what blade will work best to accomplish what I'm looking for. Some say the gators are the way to go, others say go high lift, but not a lot of reasons as to why to choose one over the other. I'd prefer some real-world experience as to which would be best to improve the cut quality. I don't want to keep buying blades (at 3 of them) to experiment.

Thanks!!!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What blades does it have now?

mooch91

Threads
Here are the Hustler blade number from the parts manual:
601124 3 BLADE, 18.50"-L-F-CW
601012 3 BLADE, F18.50"-L-F-CW
797696 3 BLADE, F18.50"-H-F-CW
797704 3 BLADE, 18.50"-MUL-F-CW
797712 3 BLADE, 18.50"-GAT-F-CW

When I cross reference the Hustler blade numbers on the Oregon website, I come up with the following:
HUSTLER 601124 92-208 BLADE
HUSTLER 601124 Option Oregonョ Exclusive 596-808 BLADE, GATOR G5 HUSTLER 18-1/2 IN
HUSTLER 601124 Option 92-738 BLADE, HUSTLER 18-1/2 IN

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It seems as if there could be any one of 5 listed in the manual as stock that could be on the mower . Which one is it?

mooch91

Threads
It seems as if there could be any one of 5 listed in the manual as stock that could be on the mower . Which one is it?

I'll try to find out from Hustler on Monday. The descriptions are kind of vague to understand the differences. My guess would be the first one, but that's only a guess.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
For lift as in side discharge or bagging, the closer a blade conforms to the blade with the added wings of a snapper rear engine rider the better.

It seems manufacturers or dealers are pushing the combination blades ( side discharge / mulch ) that don't do either very well. They make me think of a combination rip/crosscut saw blade we can get by with but that's about all.

My JD came with a combination blade but on my ranch land grass and weeds it really doesn't matter to me and I don't even bother sharpening the supposedly mulch part of the blade.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here are the Hustler blade number from the parts manual:
601124 3 BLADE, 18.50"-L-F-CW
601012 3 BLADE, F18.50"-L-F-CW
797696 3 BLADE, F18.50"-H-F-CW
797704 3 BLADE, 18.50"-MUL-F-CW
797712 3 BLADE, 18.50"-GAT-F-CW

When I cross reference the Hustler blade numbers on the Oregon website, I come up with the following:
HUSTLER 601124 92-208 BLADE
HUSTLER 601124 Option Oregonョ Exclusive 596-808 BLADE, GATOR G5 HUSTLER 18-1/2 IN
HUSTLER 601124 Option 92-738 BLADE, HUSTLER 18-1/2 IN

If you want more vacuum out of the deck that most likely wont happen with changing blades. The Blades listed above are for a specific job and probably wont effect the deck vacuum. Seems to me that vacuum would have more to do with the size, depth and design of the deck than the blades. The G5 / 596-808 is the best of the blades above.

Kremeneon

Threads
I have the Gator G5 #596-808 on my RSD54. Love them. Holding one side by side with Factory blade will make you laugh. they are 1/2" wider, thicker metal, and the rakes on the back, wow... scary...

I have found no legitimate downside yet to them vs factory blades. They are superior in every way: better cut, more vacuum, smaller cuttings, discharge further, hold edge longer. Maybe the only thing you could complain about is more wind noise.

Mine weren't bad out of the package, but I took care to balance them on a 5/8" bearing I have stuck to the side of my workbench. Since the blades are heavier it is a bit more important to get the balance right. All three needed a little shave to get them perfect according to the bearing.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have the Gator G5 #596-808 on my RSD54. Love them. Holding one side by side with Factory blade will make you laugh. they are 1/2" wider, thicker metal, and the rakes on the back, wow... scary...

I have found no legitimate downside yet to them vs factory blades. They are superior in every way: better cut, more vacuum, smaller cuttings, discharge further, hold edge longer. Maybe the only thing you could complain about is more wind noise.

Mine weren't bad out of the package, but I took care to balance them on a 5/8" bearing I have stuck to the side of my workbench. Since the blades are heavier it is a bit more important to get the balance right. All three needed a little shave to get them perfect according to the bearing.

The G5 Gatotor blade should improve the cut quality of the mower, the only down fall to using the blade is that you could possibly loose some blade tip speed because they are a little heavier. The thing I like is the extended cutting length, I think that itself can make a big difference. I use the G6 blades on my mowers.