PTO not engaging

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Are referring to the connector shorting strip of that Delta 6444 switch?
1654307320638.png
If so then it is likely it was not un-shorting when connecting the connector to the switch. There two styles of the 6444 swithc that would work on this mower. One is for with the shorting strip and one is not. That shorting strip just prevents the operator from simply removing the connector to by the seat switch. On unit the shorting connector the connector must be fully plugged and held tightly to the switch.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are referring to the connector shorting strip of that Delta 6444 switch?
View attachment 60776
If so then it is likely it was not un-shorting when connecting the connector to the switch. There two styles of the 6444 swithc that would work on this mower. One is for with the shorting strip and one is not. That shorting strip just prevents the operator from simply removing the connector to by the seat switch. On unit the shorting connector the connector must be fully plugged and held tightly to the switch.

Yes, that one. After I pulled it out, the PTO would engage and turn the blades (via the PTO switch). I mowed for about 20 minutes afterwards.
But like I said, with this connector removed from the seat switch harness, now if I take my weight off the seat, it kills the engine. (connecter plate (as you have in the picture) removed from the harness, and harness plugged into the seat safety switch)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That shorting was the problem or someone had replaced the Delta 6444-82 with a Delta 6444-02 or 6444-602 switch. The way you tell is the color of the switch. And the 6444-82 will have tiny projections at the terminals.

These are the two Stens sells. Sorry I haven't found a source for the terminal housing as of yet. But the terminals themselves are available thru Mouser, just got to know which which gauge wires you have.

6444-82 > Stens 430-420 > Grey housing with black bottom
6444-602 > Stens 430-780 > Grey housing with grey bottom

If you install a 6444-602/6444-02 in place of a 6444-82 you would have the problem that you resolved. Not too many shops are aware of the differences and would sell the wrong switch even though they are the same electrically; just not the same physically. I stock only the Stens 430-420 as it works in place of the 430-780 as it doesn't matter as it is the connector housing that matters if you wish to maintain the equipment factory safety feature.

The 6444-82 will the tiny projections at the terminals as indicated in the following diagram by the red box.
1654339424440.png

And I have seen that if the connector housing doesn't fit tight to have problems too. To me the design is not that good in the first place as those projections needs to be a little longer I think.

I think there is also an all black version out there which would the 6444-82 before they settled on the current version.

As for the shorting strip the one you remove is the two pole version. There is an one version of it in some applications.

These the available styles of the 6444 series switch
1654338770355.png
This is the connector housing info.
1654338815933.png
The 96549-OL is the one with the strip you removed.

Hopefully I haven't confused you by now.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
That shorting was the problem or someone had replaced the Delta 6444-82 with a Delta 6444-02 or 6444-602 switch. The way you tell is the color of the switch. And the 6444-82 will have tiny projections at the terminals.

These are the two Stens sells. Sorry I haven't found a source for the terminal housing as of yet. But the terminals themselves are available thru Mouser, just got to know which which gauge wires you have.

6444-82 > Stens 430-420 > Grey housing with black bottom
6444-602 > Stens 430-780 > Grey housing with grey bottom

If you install a 6444-602/6444-02 in place of a 6444-82 you would have the problem that you resolved. Not too many shops are aware of the differences and would sell the wrong switch even though they are the same electrically; just not the same physically. I stock only the Stens 430-420 as it works in place of the 430-780 as it doesn't matter as it is the connector housing that matters if you wish to maintain the equipment factory safety feature.

The 6444-82 will the tiny projections at the terminals as indicated in the following diagram by the red box.
View attachment 60780

And I have seen that if the connector housing doesn't fit tight to have problems too. To me the design is not that good in the first place as those projections needs to be a little longer I think.

I think there is also an all black version out there which would the 6444-82 before they settled on the current version.

As for the shorting strip the one you remove is the two pole version. There is an one version of it in some applications.

These the available styles of the 6444 series switch
View attachment 60778
This is the connector housing info.
View attachment 60779
The 96549-OL is the one with the strip you removed.

Hopefully I haven't confused you by now.

Confused? Totally. But not for long. The details in all of this will make perfect sense once the part numbers and description of the parts start matching up with what's supposed to be in place. Like a puzzle that starts coming together.

Thanks man.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Confused? Totally. But not for long. The details in all of this will make perfect sense once the part numbers and description of the parts start matching up with what's supposed to be in place. Like a puzzle that starts coming together.

Thanks man.
And doubly so from me as I can now order a plug to make a service starting bypass next time I put an order on Mouser

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And doubly so from me as I can now order a plug to make a service starting bypass next time I put an order on Mouser
If you know the alternate PN for the connector housing with the two pole shorting strip I would like to have it so I can order them from Mouser myself. So far my searches of Mouser have been fruitless. It looks like these housing are unique to Delta Systems 9444 switches.

I have yet to find them. I going to try and see if Delta Systems is willing to sell a small amount of them (at a fair price) or tell me who I can go through to get them at a fair price. So far every mower OEM just wants to sell a complete harness. Changing out these harnesses is time consuming when it would be a lot quicker and simpler to just change the housings.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No I was going to use the numbers you posted to look them up
Mouser must have the worlds most user unfriendly catalogue I have ever been forced to use
But at least I can get the stuff for less than $ 2 a terminal as no one retails Delpi terminals at all down here, just Lucas .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No I was going to use the numbers you posted to look them up
Mouser must have the worlds most user unfriendly catalogue I have ever been forced to use
But at least I can get the stuff for less than $ 2 a terminal as no one retails Delpi terminals at all down here, just Lucas .
Considering the amount stuff they carry it not too bad just most times you got to have the manufacture's part number. In the case here I thinking there two things working against me. 1st> The two pole connector housings are fairly new on the market. 2nd> They are currently just use in our industry. At least Stens has the 1 pole version with shorting strip.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
When I pull the switch, the voltage through the PTO harness jumps up to about 14v. I get that on both wires with the multimeter grounded to the engine.
The PTO doesn't click.
Think about it! 14 volts on both sides ( both wires) of the coil means you are not completing the ground seeking side of the circuit, because if you were, the voltage on that ground side wire would be near zero. Trace this reason and find the problem.