Pros and Cons of Lawn Tractors vs Garden Tractors vs Zero Turn

robert

Threads
  • / Pros and Cons of Lawn Tractors vs Garden Tractors vs Zero Turn
I will be the first to agree that the Cub GT2000 falls between the LT-GT classification as, from the factory, true garden tractor implements cannot be had-I think the best way to describe the Cub 2000 is to look at this machine as a -crossover- garden tractor.

What the owner of a Cub 2000 series gets is an exceptionally well built tractor, an exceptionally well built large tractor, with a fantastic Kohler Command horizontal engine with a very large air filter, shaft drive to a true garden tractor drive-BU10, external spin on filter, just about 6 qts of juice, bolted on very large rear wheels/tires, cast iron front axle,fast forward/reverse speeds and the choice of fab or stamped mower decks PLUS the ability to tow just about a ton-and the owner of a Cub 2000 gets all this-(a very heavy duty crossover tractor, that mows better than the Exmark zt I had, that is quieter than the Exmark zt I had, that is far more comfortable than the Exmark zt I had, that has a much higher end engine than the Exmark zt I had, a much higher end drive than the Exmark zt I had) for significantly less cash than any higher than entry level zt which will have a consumer grade engine, drive and capabilities with virutally no towing capacity.

Think of the Cub 2000 as a thinking persons X500... which comes with a much more heavy duty drive but without a locking diff/traction control :smile:

For those who have not looked at the many pictures that show just how well the Cub 2000 is put together take a look for yourself;

betsy-tom (betsy-tom)'s Photos | SmugMug

scroll past all the text and look for the Cub Cadet galley.

By the way, my friend tells me that the Cub section is still receiving about 50 hits per day.

jenkinsph

Threads
My L130 has a Kohler 23 hp engine, 48" deck and is a big box store riding mower, bought it back in 2005. It can be equipped with a snowblower, front dethatcher and can pull some other tools such as the small spin spreader and drop seeder. This is still a lawnmower.

The x749 has a 48" deck but can be equipped with various decks up to the 62" in size. I have the cat 1 limited hitch and 540 pto and can use the smaller implements. I use a DR chipper, 5' rearblade, 5' landscape rake, 4' boxblade, 4' tiller, one row cultivator and 6' pine straw rake on the rear. This is considered to be a garden tractor and is very small, it is best for mowing and light 3ph work but is not in the same league with the larger cuts.

Robert, I looked up the gt2000 and what you have is a riding lawn mower similar to my L130. It is by no stretch of the imagination comparable to an x500. That said it looks to be decent for the money, glad you are happy with yours.

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
I think you need to weigh out what your looking for your mower to accomplish. I mow about 2.5 acres. I was given a John Deere RX-75 rear engine when I first bought my house and while it was a fantastic machine it was just too slow. I used it for about a year and got the zero turn bug. After shopping around and asking 1,000 questions I ended up with a Snapper 250Z 42" w/20 HP motor. As far as the mower itself is concerned I am very happy with it - I am currently having an issue with the motor - it still runs great but is using oil. It fits my needs. I don't need to tow,although I have pulled an aerator with it. So IMO if you have a very small yard a push mower is great, if you have a large yard but don't need to pull anything a ZT is great, if you have a large yard and pull occassionally a LT is great, if you have a large yard and pull a lot a GT is great.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Robert, I looked up the gt2000 and what you have is a riding lawn mower similar to my L130. It is by no stretch of the imagination comparable to an x500. That said it looks to be decent for the money, glad you are happy with yours.

I don't know all of what your comparing but actually if you look at TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of lawn and garden tractors you can compare any of the tractors, the gt 2000 http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/2/2/222-cub-cadet-gt-2000.html comes closer to the L111 TractorData.com John Deere L111 tractor information They both have the same size motors anyway.

jenkinsph

Threads
I don't know all of what your comparing but actually if you look at TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of lawn and garden tractors you can compare any of the tractors, the gt 2000 TractorData.com Cub Cadet GT 2000 tractor information comes closer to the L111 TractorData.com John Deere L111 tractor information They both have the same size motors anyway.

I looked at tractordata and at the CC site as well, I wasn't trying to find an exact match just close. I think the CC 2000 series is similar to a 100 series Deere not a x500 series. If it had a better engine it would be closer to a x300 series with the Kawi engine.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will be the first to agree that the Cub GT2000 falls between the LT-GT classification as, from the factory, true garden tractor implements cannot be had-I think the best way to describe the Cub 2000 is to look at this machine as a -crossover- garden tractor.

What the owner of a Cub 2000 series gets is an exceptionally well built tractor, an exceptionally well built large tractor, with a fantastic Kohler Command horizontal engine with a very large air filter, shaft drive to a true garden tractor drive-BU10, external spin on filter, just about 6 qts of juice, bolted on very large rear wheels/tires, cast iron front axle,fast forward/reverse speeds and the choice of fab or stamped mower decks PLUS the ability to tow just about a ton-and the owner of a Cub 2000 gets all this-(a very heavy duty crossover tractor, that mows better than the Exmark zt I had, that is quieter than the Exmark zt I had, that is far more comfortable than the Exmark zt I had, that has a much higher end engine than the Exmark zt I had, a much higher end drive than the Exmark zt I had) for significantly less cash than any higher than entry level zt which will have a consumer grade engine, drive and capabilities with virutally no towing capacity.

Think of the Cub 2000 as a thinking persons X500... which comes with a much more heavy duty drive but without a locking diff/traction control :smile:

For those who have not looked at the many pictures that show just how well the Cub 2000 is put together take a look for yourself;

betsy-tom (betsy-tom)'s Photos | SmugMug

scroll past all the text and look for the Cub Cadet galley.

By the way, my friend tells me that the Cub section is still receiving about 50 hits per day.
Hi robert,
Thank you for the info and link to smugmug. The CC GT 2000 looks like a very nice package. The CC website is lacking in describing their mowers of all catagories but they are not the only ones. In my travels I periodically get the what should I buy question, now I feel that I can recommend this machine to folks that are looking for an above average rider mower. I did some online research and found no bad reviews on the CC GT 2000. There is a large dealer nearby that sells CC and they usually have 3-4 on display, but their mainstay is Kubota and larger equipment.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

robert

Threads
Mr Shamrock, I think you have pretty much nailed it-I believe your engine issues illustrate perfectly my contention that getting a consumer/estate grade zt, like my Exmark was, is a fantastic exerercise in compromise. The makers have to make so many trade offs/cut corners in the real important areas in order to bring to market a zt that the average consumer will fall for that in the end much more machine can be had in the lt catergory, and as you mention certainly much much more machine with regard to towing capacity-sincerely hope your engine problems get resolved.

jenkinsph, I realize this has been posted before but it deserves repeating-with the Cub you get a drive that you don't get with the X300 or until you are well into the X500, or so I understand anyway and in the interest of complete disclosure with the Cub one does NOT get any traction control or locking diff.

My point is simply this, to get as much engine and drive as the Cub 2000 you have to spend significantly more money and even then you still don't get a shaft drive-for what that is really worth.

Don't get , me wrong-the Cub isn't perfect and I did my best to show the missed paint areas but for about $3400, with much better performance than my Exmark it really is the deal of the century.

And as far as the Kohler Command horizontal-its incredible and I never ever thought I would ever say this but the Command is every bit as good as the Honda GX's I have that were made in Japan. The Command starts instantly without smoke, is great on fuel, doesn't use a drop of oil, is very very easy on the ear, has a perfect power/torque curve and shuts down without drama; its not a home run but a grandslam.

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
Robert I have to agree with you and now that I think about the last 4 years since I have had this mower there has been some things that haven't made me real happy. For example: about 6 months after I had it the block off plate for the mulching kit that I had installed at the "authorized dealer" before I took possession of it vibrated loose and I ran it over while mowing. It destoyed the blades, one hub, and of course the plate. I guess in a perfect world the consumer goes around and checks every bolt on his mower as their pre-use inspection. I didn't and it cost me - but I never went back to that dealer for anything and have bad mouthed them to whoever would listen. They refused to take any blame. A few months later one of the deck wheels rattled loose and came off. Luckily I saw it and didn't run it over. Not a big deal, but I never found the bolt so I had to buy another. Besides that and a few cosmetic things - stickers peeling off, rubber mat where you feet go coming unglued, etc it has been a decent mower. There are many times when I wish I would have just kept my free John Deere RX-75 with the Kawasaki and not worried about cutting the grass faster. Oh well - Hind sight...

mullins87

Threads
Questions for those of you that have what you call a garden tractor.... ...Where does the "garden" aspect of this machine figure in to gardening or anything other than mowing grass at 4" or less?

Besides a heavier frame, larger wheels/tires and usually a better engine etc...., the drive system or rear axle is supposed to be capable of pulling ground engaging equipment.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mulching kits when installed cause a dramatic increase in engine and mower drive system loading. Plates increase the load, and Gator type blades further increase the engine load. Some machines can handle it and some not. When the engine load increases but the RPMs drop too much, then there is a problem with unburned fuel. This is when bad things happen to both the engine and deck drive system, but usually the engine first. This unburnt fuel ends up as carbon deposit, goes out the exhaust, and into the engine oil. It will dilute the engine oil reducing it's lubricity, thinning it and other bad things ultimately causing engine failure. It usually affects the piston rings and cylinder walls initially and things get worse from there.
There is a progression, mulching kits, mulching kits with plates, mulching kits with plates and Gator type blades. Each progression increases engine loading and in some cases too much.
When I bought my Scag Tiger Cub 48" ZTR I inquired about a mulching kit, "not recommended on this machine" was the direct answer from the sales manager.
I am not a fan of mulching kits, decks get seriously cruded up, tough to clean and belt life is shorter. I have to deal with leaves and/or pine needles almost year round and use collection systems on my machines.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing: