Pros and Cons of Lawn Tractors vs Garden Tractors vs Zero Turn

earthworm

Threads
  • / Pros and Cons of Lawn Tractors vs Garden Tractors vs Zero Turn
This does make as much sense as anything here.

Some (robert) may knock the inexpensive ZT mower durability.....common sense says it should be about the same as any cheap machine..
Also GTs are a better buy, IMO, as their numbers are greater.
RER = ???

I've used them all over the years....from a flimsy 20" push mower to a 2
6" Yazoo beast that my dad used to mow yards in the 50's when he was a kid, to lawn and garden tractors, to ZTR's and full size tractors. Come to think of it, I've even had the "pleasure" of using a "real" push mower and even a greens mower. Each has their place where their strengths and weaknesses shine through.

As mentioned above, the lawn tractor is the cheapest and lightest of the riders....well with the exception of some of the RER's. It is well suited for the majority of yards where the size is under an acre to maybe an acre and a half, is fairly flat and mostly smooth. They can pull small utility carts around the yard for various tasks. They are fairly maneuverable, with some having a very small turn radius, but you'll still need a trimmer or some Round Up. However, they won't last long if you try to bush hog with them or use any type of ground engaging equipment.

The garden tractors, as also mentioned above, are heavier and more costly than lawn tractors. They are well suited for larger yards, or those with heavy terrain and not exactly golf course smooth. They can also pull larger carts/trailers around the yard, use ground engaging equipment, and some of the larger ones can even come with hydraulics and three point hitches and front end loaders. They aren't quite as maneuverable as a lawn tractor, but some are available with four wheel steer making for a very tight turn radius. However, you'll still need a trimmer. Since they are heavier, they tend to tear up a soft yard that a lawn tractor wouldn't.

The ZTR's are, in IMO, the best option if all you have to do is cut grass, and a lot of it. They come in a wide variety ranging from light and cheap to heavy and very expensive. They will almost do away with any trimming needs, and in most cases, will seemingly run circles around any tractor style mower. Some will disagree, but generally, ZTR's are not well suited for moderate to steep inclines or rough terrain. They typically have very limited utility for any work beyond mowing.

I personally prefer tractor style mowers. They offer a better ride and you get more mower for your dollar. I have a large lawn tractor that I use to mow my three and a half acres and an older gard

Ten tractor that I use for various utility duties. These suit my needs very well at the moment. This is all my opinion based on my personal experiences. Your mileage may vary. :biggrin:

robert

Threads
ah earthworm once again you miss the point-the lt from the big box will be significantly less than the zt from the big box, just about one large less.
This was a few months ago but the cheapo depot here; remember I am on planet Earth- was moving the Cub 1000, recall that according to some this is the same as the GT2000, for about $1200 on a super duper sale and this was with a Kaw, the least expensive zt was either an Ariens or Toro (?) for about $2k, sorry but I don't recall the engine.

So grasshopper even you should be able to discern which was the better deal-then again probably not.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
mullins87, and help you have-I was lucky in that I was able to get out of a zero turn which was, for me, a big mistake; mine was not even able to tow, by manufactures approval, the small homeowners type leaf vacuum I use in the spring/fall and after our few vacations. Would it have? most probably but how would it have handled with several hundred pounds of leaf dust/grass in the hopper especially in the few minor inclines I have in the yard. Learning about the sintered/pressed gears in the ZT2800 just added a little more doubt with regard to the longevity of the model zt I selected.

So my 'quest' to make certain that people like myself understand the zero turn was started-in certain applications the zero turn makes sense and in certain applications the zero turn makes the only sense.

Pro machines are well built with top shelf drives, engines and chasis and the price tag reflects the build quality, anything less with regard to the zero turn is not only less but much less-for instance even if you get a zero turn with entry level pro drives, the maker cut big time on the engines to provide the better drive. So you have a slightly more robust hydro but this is still driven by a real homeowner engine most usually the Briggs 'Pro' which is nothing more than the Intek or in the instance of the very clever maker - a homeowner version of a Kawasaki.

When you couple the quality of the average residential or even 'estate' zt-that term is a brilliant marketing acheivement-with the manner in which the zt has to be turned and with the lack of any real implements I remain convinced that going zt is a big mistake for the average consumer.

In the end the average consumer will be much better served by any entry level lt compared to any homeowner/estate zt and as I have stated before the sad fact is that the JD/Cub/Husqvarna from the big box with a Kohler Courage will still be able to mow long after the origninal buyer is not.

But also like I have stated before, if you HAVE to have a zt like I HAD to have a zt well, go for it- but if you are going to make the same mistake as I at least make it a good one and get a real pro quality machine; and I would be so bold as to suggest you put your money into the superb riding Ferris/Simplicity with the full suspension. This way you will stand to recover more of your to this thread money when you decide to sell AND you will be more comfortable riding about your property until you decide to sell.

Thanks again.

OMG.gif Not again, You Hi-Jacked the looking for a zero turn 3.27 acres thread by mikdugal1 for you personal vendetta against the ZTR and you're doing the same thing here.
Robert there's a name on forums that people use for people like you and it's An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" or "Message Board Troll" it's a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

earthworm

Threads
ah earthworm once again you miss the point-the lt from the big box will be significantly less than the zt from the big box, just about one large less.
This was a few months ago but the cheapo depot here; remember I am on planet Earth- was moving the Cub 1000, recall that according to some this is the same as the GT2000, for about $1200 on a super duper sale and this was with a Kaw, the least expensive zt was either an Ariens or Toro (?) for about $2k, sorry but I don't recall the engine.

So grasshopper even you should be able to discern which was the better deal-then again probably not.
Robert, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"....or treat others as you would have them ttreat you.....or "children start things, men end them"....see Ric's post on fires.

Sammy the Red

Threads
I wonder what Z-turn mikdugal1 finally purchased ?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

robert

Threads
Yep, the hijacker-thats me alright. :laughing:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Questions for those of you that have what you call a garden tractor. My garden tractor has available the following attachments, 38", 44", 48" and 60" mower decks, 48" snow blower, 54" plow, tractor powered collection system, bags or cart, rototiller, 3 point hitch, rear hydraulic PTO for collection system or rototiller, cab, and a log splitter. With my garden tractor I have a 48" deck, 48" snowblower, 54" plow, rear hydraulic PTO, collection system with bagger and cart, wheel weights, chains. All this and I also have a ZTR with a factory collection system.
But here are my questions, how does a CC GT 2000 get to be considered as a garden tractor? Is this a big box store machine? Where does the "garden" aspect of this machine figure in to gardening or anything other than mowing grass at 4" or less?

Sammy the Red

Threads
Was talking to the owner of a dealership of a large major brand manufacture.
He said that the mfg. has re-badged some of the lawn tractors as garden
tractors so as to fool the public into the belief that they are getting a more
heavy duty type machine. .......... Imagine That ! :eek:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Was talking to the owner of a dealership of a large major brand manufacture.
He said that the mfg. has re-badged some of the lawn tractors as garden
tractors so as to fool the public into the belief that they are getting a more
heavy duty type machine. .......... Imagine That ! :eek:

Like the saying says, " you have to pay for what you get and sometimes get what you paid for"!!!