Export thread

Pros and Cons of Lawn Tractors vs Garden Tractors vs Zero Turn

Sammy the Red

Sammy the Red

Post your thoughts here about what you think of each.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

In the future, this thread can be referred to for aspects of buying one or the other.

This thread is meant to be a positive addition to the site, so as not to clutter up or bash on a poster when they seek information about a specific type.

Thank You, and Have a Nice Day. :smile:

K

KennyV

Hello Sammy the Red..
This would have been a good thread some time back.
The problem... there is a single individual that will drone ON & ON with the sole purpose of being argumentative.
I will not participate in his "method' of posting, it serves only to alienate members...

I have through, the years used push mowers, LTs, GTs and ZTs... It has been a great progression of mowers... from the way we did things in the 50's to present years... Incredible advances in mower technologies over the decades...
I will enjoy following some of the responses you get to this post. :smile:KennyV

L

LandN

Hello Sammy the Red..
This would have been a good thread some time back.
The problem... there is a single individual that will drone ON & ON with the sole purpose of being argumentative.
I will not participate in his "method' of posting, it serves only to alienate members...

I have through the years used push mowers, LTs, GTs and ZTs... It has been a great progression of mowers... from the way we do things50 to present years... Incredible advances in mower technologies over the decades...
I will enjoy following some of the responses you get to this post. :smile:KennyV

your right kenny on the advances of mowers . yesterday i was looking online at zt's and such and found a convertable mower,almost like a transformer.you can ride it like a zt or switch it and walk it for places you can't ride through.awesome:thumbsup: now this mower may have been around awhile but it's the first i seen it. but then i'm not in that market yet.

K

KennyV

.. i was looking online at zt's and such and found a convertable mower,almost like a transformer.you can ride it like a zt or switch it and walk it for places you can't ride through.awesome:thumbsup:

That sounds interesting... Was it also a stand on... I think I have seen walk behind stand on combination...
What make, do you recall...?
It could be a good cross over conversion type, to fit within Sammy the Red's thread here... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Ric

your right kenny on the advances of mowers . yesterday i was looking online at zt's and such and found a convertable mower,almost like a transformer.you can ride it like a zt or switch it and walk it for places you can't ride through.awesome:thumbsup: now this mower may have been around awhile but it's the first i seen it. but then i'm not in that market yet.

Sounds like your mower mite be a Toro Grandstand, It has a retractable platform for stand-on or walk-behind positions

Parkmower

Parkmower

LandN said:

The wright sentar is kinda like that

L

LandN

to kenny,ric,parkmower. hey guys the mower i was refering to was called convertible mower by rich manufacturing in indiana i was looking at a website sunday that features all american made products and that mower came up so i checked it out it looked pretty slick just google up convertible mowers and check it out . sorry i didn't get back sooner to ya,just got home.

Ric

Ric

to kenny,ric,parkmower. hey guys the mower i was refering to was called convertible mower by rich manufacturing in indiana i was looking at a website sunday that features all american made products and that mower came up so i checked it out it looked pretty slick just google up convertible mowers and check it out . sorry i didn't get back sooner to ya,just got home.

Hey that thing is slick, I wish someone here sold the things so I could really get a good look :thumbsup: if you want to check it out the links below.
Convertible Mowers

K

KennyV

Found a youtube video about it... Looks like quite a mower... Bank Mowers - YouTube

That's not exactly a lawn, its rough And a Lot of weeds, plus very steep incline... :smile:KennyV

R

robert

May I be so bold as to request that all who have responded read again the op :anyone:

R

robert

:anyone::anyone:

F

fastback

I don't know much about zero turn I have only used a Kut-quick (spelling?). $25,000 + . The machine was originally designed for hills and highway cutting.

I have never owned a lawn tractor my thinking has always been go as heavy duty as possible especially if you have rough grounds. The garden trator would most likely last longer plus you have more flexability in terms of yard work.

E

earthworm

Hey that thing is slick, I wish someone here sold the things so I could really get a good look :thumbsup: if you want to check it out the links below.
Convertible Mowers
Thanks for the link, Ric
The convertible is most interesting, design-wise, and it must be expensive.
For me, on 1/2 acre, I think a wide walk behind would be sufficient...If I were wealthy, the conv. would make a nice "toy".
Love to buy one used...
No machine, IMO, can do everything well - there is always compromise....this can be the 800 pound gorilla....or a playful pup...
Post one is the title page, post 2 is ??, I think I know....I am not the only man with personality disorder.....

T

Tindal

Ask Robert , he read it and will tell you where he read it , so it must be true!

R

robert

Well according to the op there is a pro for one make and one make only zero turn, Cub Cadet- just like every lawn/garden tractor I am aware of alot of Cub zero turns have as a factory option a front blade. Ric, this means that if you want to push with a zt designed to push-just like tractors, you gotta go Cub or go without a blade :wink: :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

The -con- of course is that the Cub cannot push as much as the GT series machines.....but hey, at least a Cub zt can push something-so say the great people at MTD.

Like I state those who recognize true value and high quality at the best pricing in the industry are not afraid to go yellow (and off white)...

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

This seems to have gotten off course; I have used lawn tractors and garden tractors and test drove a zero turn (poorly); my opinions follow.

The lawn tractor is a good riding lawn mower with limited other uses such as pulling a cart, etc. Depending on the make, it may or may not have the ability to mount ground engaging tools. Usually the lowest cost.

The Garden tractor is heavier duty, with a higher price tag. Besides mowing and towing, there is usually a rototiller and or moldboard plow offered, front blades, a snowblower, etc. Some even offer a front bucket. Kind of the McGuyver of small tractors.

The zero turn is a specialized tool for grass cutting. Manueverability and speed of cutting with a price tag. Limited utility.

Obviously I favor the garden tractor. Slightly heavier contruction, more power, more versatility.

As an example, right now, if I got my place in the country, I'd like a JD 310 (hydrostatic, power lift and power steering) with a mower, cart, and the front blade for light landscaping and the occasional snow we get in SE Virginia.

J

jenkinsph

This seems to have gotten off course; I have used lawn tractors and garden tractors and test drove a zero turn (poorly); my opinions follow.

The lawn tractor is a good riding lawn mower with limited other uses such as pulling a cart, etc. Depending on the make, it may or may not have the ability to mount ground engaging tools. Usually the lowest cost.

The Garden tractor is heavier duty, with a higher price tag. Besides mowing and towing, there is usually a rototiller and or moldboard plow offered, front blades, a snowblower, etc. Some even offer a front bucket. Kind of the McGuyver of small tractors.

The zero turn is a specialized tool for grass cutting. Manueverability and speed of cutting with a price tag. Limited utility.

Obviously I favor the garden tractor. Slightly heavier contruction, more power, more versatility.

As an example, right now, if I got my place in the country, I'd like a JD 310 (hydrostatic, power lift and power steering) with a mower, cart, and the front blade for light landscaping and the occasional snow we get in SE Virginia.

I suspect the new 310 might be an okay mower but the front blade would have very limited abilities for landscape work. You need atleast three times the weight to be very effective, I use an x749 to touch up with in close quarters and it saves alot of hand labor. The 60hp compact tractor does the majority of the work for me though. So if you get a "place in the country" you might well be better off with something alot more substancial.

E

earthworm

Well according to the op there is a pro for one make and one make only zero turn, Cub Cadet- just like every lawn/garden tractor I am aware of alot of Cub zero turns have as a factory option a front blade. Ric, this means that if you want to push with a zt designed to push-just like tractors, you gotta go Cub or go without a blade :wink: :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

The -con- of course is that the Cub cannot push as much as the GT series machines.....but hey, at least a Cub zt can push something-so say the great people at MTD.

Like I state those who recognize true value and high quality at the best pricing in the industry are not afraid to go yellow (and off white)...
To me, this makes very limited sense...."robert", I think you have swallowed knowledge hook, line , and sinker....the price for being a fish...
I, on the other hand, will report back with some first hand knowledge after I purchase a ZT, a small unit for my 0.46 acre "lawn"....
I'll keep the MF for snow-moval, if necessary....
I have room to "waste".
My son-in-law does not.
He mows his 0.046 acre by hand, using a reel mower..no ZT for him!
What I champion is using the best equipment for any task, with minimal waste.

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

Key word was light - probably spreading gravel in the driveway or underlayment for a brick patio. The blade would be mostly for the snow we get once or twice a year; it seems like we are getting at least one heavy snow a year now. If money was no object I'd buy a CUT.

R

robert

earthworm, I REPLACED an Exmark Quest that I bought new for a Cub Cadet GT2000, also new; for ME the Cub does everything the Quest did only better AND I can tow about a ton with the Cub AND AND I mow in just about the same amount of time with the Cub as I did with the Quest AND AND AND
I am much more comfortable on the Cub that I was on the Quest.

But this is just my own experience.

Sammy the Red

Sammy the Red

Well according to the op there is a pro for one make and one make only zero turn, Cub Cadet- just like every lawn/garden tractor I am aware of alot of Cub zero turns have as a factory option a front blade. Ric, this means that if you want to push with a zt designed to push-just like tractors, you gotta go Cub or go without a blade :wink: :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: .

Robert, please stop with the lies. This is not true at all.

R

robert

Sammy, YOU posted the fact that Cub offers a zt with an available FACTORY blade and you were so kind as to provide the link; I know of no other zt which comes with this option from the maker-if you do would you please provide the facts with the links just like I have done so many times for all those who are following this topic.

E

earthworm

Sammy, YOU posted the fact that Cub offers a zt with an available FACTORY blade and you were so kind as to provide the link; I know of no other zt which comes with this option from the maker-if you do would you please provide the facts with the links just like I have done so many times for all those who are following this topic.

Walker "lawn mowers".
Very interesting, innovative, versatile, and expensive.
Google , a whole new world can be opened up.
robert, does an Ariens walk behind with front casters qualify as "ZT" ??

A dufus can be either an amateur or a professional.
The difference between a "good" amateur and a professional is the time spent at a task , and of course, the money.
I believe that the good amateur can do a job at 99.9% , the pro ...98.9%....we are talking about cutting grass, a huge area...
Yes, robert, a ZT can scalp, and so can a 21" LB or a garden tractor.. Its the operator and the lawn, NOT the machine....
Want a perfect job ?, use 100 Chinamen with 99 scissors...:biggrin:

M

mullins87

I've used them all over the years....from a flimsy 20" push mower to a 26" Yazoo beast that my dad used to mow yards in the 50's when he was a kid, to lawn and garden tractors, to ZTR's and full size tractors. Come to think of it, I've even had the "pleasure" of using a "real" push mower and even a greens mower. Each has their place where their strengths and weaknesses shine through.

As mentioned above, the lawn tractor is the cheapest and lightest of the riders....well with the exception of some of the RER's. It is well suited for the majority of yards where the size is under an acre to maybe an acre and a half, is fairly flat and mostly smooth. They can pull small utility carts around the yard for various tasks. They are fairly manueverable, with some having a very small turn radius, but you'll still need a trimmer or some Round Up. However, they won't last long if you try to bush hog with them or use any type of ground engaging equipment.

The garden tractors, as also mentioned above, are heavier and more costly than lawn tractors. They are well suited for larger yards, or those with heavy terrain and not exactly golf course smooth. They can also pull larger carts/trailers around the yard, use ground engaging equipment, and some of the larger ones can even come with hydraulics and three point hitches and front end loaders. They aren't quite as manueverable as a lawn tractor, but some are available with four wheel steer making for a very tight turn radius. However, you'll still need a trimmer. Since they are heavier, they tend to tear up a soft yard that a lawn tractor wouldn't.

The ZTR's are, in IMO, the best option if all you have to do is cut grass, and a lot of it. They come in a wide variety ranging from light and cheap to heavy and very expensive. They will almost do away with any trimming needs, and in most cases, will seemingly run circles around any tractor style mower. Some will disagree, but generally, ZTR's are not well suited for moderate to steep inclines or rough terrain. They typically have very limited utility for any work beyond mowing.

I personally prefer tractor style mowers. They offer a better ride and you get more mower for your dollar. I have a large lawn tractor that I use to mow my three and a half acres and an older garden tractor that I use for various utility duties. These suit my needs very well at the moment. This is all my opinion based on my personal experiences. Your mileage may vary. :biggrin:

E

earthworm

With but 0.46 of an acre, for me the best is a 30" castered push mower. If I had 2 to 3 acre, then a larger push, maybe a riding ZT..The tractors are so wasteful of gas and time.
JMO
By hand I can push around carts and wheelbarrows...this is good exercise, I think.
And snow-moval by hand as well. Its only 150 by 5 feet...
The appropriate equipment is important, of course, I do not always go this route...lol

Sammy the Red

Sammy the Red

........... I know of no other zt which comes with this option from the maker-..............

Maybe you should do some more research.

Now, Please stop with the lies and get back on your meds.

M

mullins87

I know it's not a plow, but it is a snow blower...
Hustler

Here's one for Dixie Chopper...
Accessories - Dixie Made

Here's one for Grasshopper...
Grasshopper Mower

It's not a factory option, but here's an aftermarket unit for several different makes...
Ferris Snow Plow, Dixie Chopper snow plow, ztr plow, ztr plows, hustler ztr snow plow, mibar products

R

robert

mullins, thank you for your input-this is exactly what we need, more facts and fewer personal attacks-so the list of makers who offer a blade has grown to three-Cub, Dixie-Classic and above only and GH-however it looks to me like GH offers a blade only for the frontmount series.

M

mullins87

mullins, thank you for your input-this is exactly what we need, more facts and fewer personal attacks-so the list of makers who offer a blade has grown to three-Cub, Dixie-Classic and above only and GH-however it looks to me like GH offers a blade only for the frontmount series.

Oh, that was by no means a complete list, just what I could find in 10 or 15 minutes.....just trying to help.

R

robert

mullins87, and help you have-I was lucky in that I was able to get out of a zero turn which was, for me, a big mistake; mine was not even able to tow, by manufactures approval, the small homeowners type leaf vacuum I use in the spring/fall and after our few vacations. Would it have? most probably but how would it have handled with several hundred pounds of leaf dust/grass in the hopper especially in the few minor inclines I have in the yard. Learning about the sintered/pressed gears in the ZT2800 just added a little more doubt with regard to the longevity of the model zt I selected.

So my 'quest' to make certain that people like myself understand the zero turn was started-in certain applications the zero turn makes sense and in certain applications the zero turn makes the only sense.

Pro machines are well built with top shelf drives, engines and chasis and the price tag reflects the build quality, anything less with regard to the zero turn is not only less but much less-for instance even if you get a zero turn with entry level pro drives, the maker cut big time on the engines to provide the better drive. So you have a slightly more robust hydro but this is still driven by a real homeowner engine most usually the Briggs 'Pro' which is nothing more than the Intek or in the instance of the very clever maker - a homeowner version of a Kawasaki.

When you couple the quality of the average residential or even 'estate' zt-that term is a brilliant marketing acheivement-with the manner in which the zt has to be turned and with the lack of any real implements I remain convinced that going zt is a big mistake for the average consumer.

In the end the average consumer will be much better served by any entry level lt compared to any homeowner/estate zt and as I have stated before the sad fact is that the JD/Cub/Husqvarna from the big box with a Kohler Courage will still be able to mow long after the origninal buyer is not.

But also like I have stated before, if you HAVE to have a zt like I HAD to have a zt well, go for it- but if you are going to make the same mistake as I at least make it a good one and get a real pro quality machine; and I would be so bold as to suggest you put your money into the superb riding Ferris/Simplicity with the full suspension. This way you will stand to recover more of your money when you decide to sell AND you will be more comfortable riding about your property until you decide to sell.

Thanks again.

E

earthworm

This does make as much sense as anything here.

Some (robert) may knock the inexpensive ZT mower durability.....common sense says it should be about the same as any cheap machine..
Also GTs are a better buy, IMO, as their numbers are greater.
RER = ???

I've used them all over the years....from a flimsy 20" push mower to a 2
6" Yazoo beast that my dad used to mow yards in the 50's when he was a kid, to lawn and garden tractors, to ZTR's and full size tractors. Come to think of it, I've even had the "pleasure" of using a "real" push mower and even a greens mower. Each has their place where their strengths and weaknesses shine through.

As mentioned above, the lawn tractor is the cheapest and lightest of the riders....well with the exception of some of the RER's. It is well suited for the majority of yards where the size is under an acre to maybe an acre and a half, is fairly flat and mostly smooth. They can pull small utility carts around the yard for various tasks. They are fairly maneuverable, with some having a very small turn radius, but you'll still need a trimmer or some Round Up. However, they won't last long if you try to bush hog with them or use any type of ground engaging equipment.

The garden tractors, as also mentioned above, are heavier and more costly than lawn tractors. They are well suited for larger yards, or those with heavy terrain and not exactly golf course smooth. They can also pull larger carts/trailers around the yard, use ground engaging equipment, and some of the larger ones can even come with hydraulics and three point hitches and front end loaders. They aren't quite as maneuverable as a lawn tractor, but some are available with four wheel steer making for a very tight turn radius. However, you'll still need a trimmer. Since they are heavier, they tend to tear up a soft yard that a lawn tractor wouldn't.

The ZTR's are, in IMO, the best option if all you have to do is cut grass, and a lot of it. They come in a wide variety ranging from light and cheap to heavy and very expensive. They will almost do away with any trimming needs, and in most cases, will seemingly run circles around any tractor style mower. Some will disagree, but generally, ZTR's are not well suited for moderate to steep inclines or rough terrain. They typically have very limited utility for any work beyond mowing.

I personally prefer tractor style mowers. They offer a better ride and you get more mower for your dollar. I have a large lawn tractor that I use to mow my three and a half acres and an older gard

Ten tractor that I use for various utility duties. These suit my needs very well at the moment. This is all my opinion based on my personal experiences. Your mileage may vary. :biggrin:

R

robert

ah earthworm once again you miss the point-the lt from the big box will be significantly less than the zt from the big box, just about one large less.
This was a few months ago but the cheapo depot here; remember I am on planet Earth- was moving the Cub 1000, recall that according to some this is the same as the GT2000, for about $1200 on a super duper sale and this was with a Kaw, the least expensive zt was either an Ariens or Toro (?) for about $2k, sorry but I don't recall the engine.

So grasshopper even you should be able to discern which was the better deal-then again probably not.

Ric

Ric

mullins87, and help you have-I was lucky in that I was able to get out of a zero turn which was, for me, a big mistake; mine was not even able to tow, by manufactures approval, the small homeowners type leaf vacuum I use in the spring/fall and after our few vacations. Would it have? most probably but how would it have handled with several hundred pounds of leaf dust/grass in the hopper especially in the few minor inclines I have in the yard. Learning about the sintered/pressed gears in the ZT2800 just added a little more doubt with regard to the longevity of the model zt I selected.

So my 'quest' to make certain that people like myself understand the zero turn was started-in certain applications the zero turn makes sense and in certain applications the zero turn makes the only sense.

Pro machines are well built with top shelf drives, engines and chasis and the price tag reflects the build quality, anything less with regard to the zero turn is not only less but much less-for instance even if you get a zero turn with entry level pro drives, the maker cut big time on the engines to provide the better drive. So you have a slightly more robust hydro but this is still driven by a real homeowner engine most usually the Briggs 'Pro' which is nothing more than the Intek or in the instance of the very clever maker - a homeowner version of a Kawasaki.

When you couple the quality of the average residential or even 'estate' zt-that term is a brilliant marketing acheivement-with the manner in which the zt has to be turned and with the lack of any real implements I remain convinced that going zt is a big mistake for the average consumer.

In the end the average consumer will be much better served by any entry level lt compared to any homeowner/estate zt and as I have stated before the sad fact is that the JD/Cub/Husqvarna from the big box with a Kohler Courage will still be able to mow long after the origninal buyer is not.

But also like I have stated before, if you HAVE to have a zt like I HAD to have a zt well, go for it- but if you are going to make the same mistake as I at least make it a good one and get a real pro quality machine; and I would be so bold as to suggest you put your money into the superb riding Ferris/Simplicity with the full suspension. This way you will stand to recover more of your to this thread money when you decide to sell AND you will be more comfortable riding about your property until you decide to sell.

Thanks again.

OMG.gif Not again, You Hi-Jacked the looking for a zero turn 3.27 acres thread by mikdugal1 for you personal vendetta against the ZTR and you're doing the same thing here.
Robert there's a name on forums that people use for people like you and it's An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" or "Message Board Troll" it's a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

E

earthworm

ah earthworm once again you miss the point-the lt from the big box will be significantly less than the zt from the big box, just about one large less.
This was a few months ago but the cheapo depot here; remember I am on planet Earth- was moving the Cub 1000, recall that according to some this is the same as the GT2000, for about $1200 on a super duper sale and this was with a Kaw, the least expensive zt was either an Ariens or Toro (?) for about $2k, sorry but I don't recall the engine.

So grasshopper even you should be able to discern which was the better deal-then again probably not.
Robert, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"....or treat others as you would have them ttreat you.....or "children start things, men end them"....see Ric's post on fires.

Sammy the Red

Sammy the Red

I wonder what Z-turn mikdugal1 finally purchased ?

Ric

Ric

I wonder what Z-turn mikdugal1 finally purchased ?
Don't know, after Robert Hijacked his thread he never came back :ashamed:

R

robert

Yep, the hijacker-thats me alright. :laughing:

M

Mad Mackie

Questions for those of you that have what you call a garden tractor. My garden tractor has available the following attachments, 38", 44", 48" and 60" mower decks, 48" snow blower, 54" plow, tractor powered collection system, bags or cart, rototiller, 3 point hitch, rear hydraulic PTO for collection system or rototiller, cab, and a log splitter. With my garden tractor I have a 48" deck, 48" snowblower, 54" plow, rear hydraulic PTO, collection system with bagger and cart, wheel weights, chains. All this and I also have a ZTR with a factory collection system.
But here are my questions, how does a CC GT 2000 get to be considered as a garden tractor? Is this a big box store machine? Where does the "garden" aspect of this machine figure in to gardening or anything other than mowing grass at 4" or less?

Sammy the Red

Sammy the Red

Was talking to the owner of a dealership of a large major brand manufacture.
He said that the mfg. has re-badged some of the lawn tractors as garden
tractors so as to fool the public into the belief that they are getting a more
heavy duty type machine. .......... Imagine That ! :eek:

M

Mad Mackie

Was talking to the owner of a dealership of a large major brand manufacture.
He said that the mfg. has re-badged some of the lawn tractors as garden
tractors so as to fool the public into the belief that they are getting a more
heavy duty type machine. .......... Imagine That ! :eek:

Like the saying says, " you have to pay for what you get and sometimes get what you paid for"!!!

R

robert

I will be the first to agree that the Cub GT2000 falls between the LT-GT classification as, from the factory, true garden tractor implements cannot be had-I think the best way to describe the Cub 2000 is to look at this machine as a -crossover- garden tractor.

What the owner of a Cub 2000 series gets is an exceptionally well built tractor, an exceptionally well built large tractor, with a fantastic Kohler Command horizontal engine with a very large air filter, shaft drive to a true garden tractor drive-BU10, external spin on filter, just about 6 qts of juice, bolted on very large rear wheels/tires, cast iron front axle,fast forward/reverse speeds and the choice of fab or stamped mower decks PLUS the ability to tow just about a ton-and the owner of a Cub 2000 gets all this-(a very heavy duty crossover tractor, that mows better than the Exmark zt I had, that is quieter than the Exmark zt I had, that is far more comfortable than the Exmark zt I had, that has a much higher end engine than the Exmark zt I had, a much higher end drive than the Exmark zt I had) for significantly less cash than any higher than entry level zt which will have a consumer grade engine, drive and capabilities with virutally no towing capacity.

Think of the Cub 2000 as a thinking persons X500... which comes with a much more heavy duty drive but without a locking diff/traction control :smile:

For those who have not looked at the many pictures that show just how well the Cub 2000 is put together take a look for yourself;

betsy-tom (betsy-tom)'s Photos | SmugMug

scroll past all the text and look for the Cub Cadet galley.

By the way, my friend tells me that the Cub section is still receiving about 50 hits per day.

J

jenkinsph

My L130 has a Kohler 23 hp engine, 48" deck and is a big box store riding mower, bought it back in 2005. It can be equipped with a snowblower, front dethatcher and can pull some other tools such as the small spin spreader and drop seeder. This is still a lawnmower.

The x749 has a 48" deck but can be equipped with various decks up to the 62" in size. I have the cat 1 limited hitch and 540 pto and can use the smaller implements. I use a DR chipper, 5' rearblade, 5' landscape rake, 4' boxblade, 4' tiller, one row cultivator and 6' pine straw rake on the rear. This is considered to be a garden tractor and is very small, it is best for mowing and light 3ph work but is not in the same league with the larger cuts.

Robert, I looked up the gt2000 and what you have is a riding lawn mower similar to my L130. It is by no stretch of the imagination comparable to an x500. That said it looks to be decent for the money, glad you are happy with yours.

M

Mr. Shamrock

I think you need to weigh out what your looking for your mower to accomplish. I mow about 2.5 acres. I was given a John Deere RX-75 rear engine when I first bought my house and while it was a fantastic machine it was just too slow. I used it for about a year and got the zero turn bug. After shopping around and asking 1,000 questions I ended up with a Snapper 250Z 42" w/20 HP motor. As far as the mower itself is concerned I am very happy with it - I am currently having an issue with the motor - it still runs great but is using oil. It fits my needs. I don't need to tow,although I have pulled an aerator with it. So IMO if you have a very small yard a push mower is great, if you have a large yard but don't need to pull anything a ZT is great, if you have a large yard and pull occassionally a LT is great, if you have a large yard and pull a lot a GT is great.

Ric

Ric

Robert, I looked up the gt2000 and what you have is a riding lawn mower similar to my L130. It is by no stretch of the imagination comparable to an x500. That said it looks to be decent for the money, glad you are happy with yours.

I don't know all of what your comparing but actually if you look at TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of lawn and garden tractors you can compare any of the tractors, the gt 2000 http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/2/2/222-cub-cadet-gt-2000.html comes closer to the L111 TractorData.com John Deere L111 tractor information They both have the same size motors anyway.

J

jenkinsph

I don't know all of what your comparing but actually if you look at TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of lawn and garden tractors you can compare any of the tractors, the gt 2000 TractorData.com Cub Cadet GT 2000 tractor information comes closer to the L111 TractorData.com John Deere L111 tractor information They both have the same size motors anyway.

I looked at tractordata and at the CC site as well, I wasn't trying to find an exact match just close. I think the CC 2000 series is similar to a 100 series Deere not a x500 series. If it had a better engine it would be closer to a x300 series with the Kawi engine.

M

Mad Mackie

I will be the first to agree that the Cub GT2000 falls between the LT-GT classification as, from the factory, true garden tractor implements cannot be had-I think the best way to describe the Cub 2000 is to look at this machine as a -crossover- garden tractor.

What the owner of a Cub 2000 series gets is an exceptionally well built tractor, an exceptionally well built large tractor, with a fantastic Kohler Command horizontal engine with a very large air filter, shaft drive to a true garden tractor drive-BU10, external spin on filter, just about 6 qts of juice, bolted on very large rear wheels/tires, cast iron front axle,fast forward/reverse speeds and the choice of fab or stamped mower decks PLUS the ability to tow just about a ton-and the owner of a Cub 2000 gets all this-(a very heavy duty crossover tractor, that mows better than the Exmark zt I had, that is quieter than the Exmark zt I had, that is far more comfortable than the Exmark zt I had, that has a much higher end engine than the Exmark zt I had, a much higher end drive than the Exmark zt I had) for significantly less cash than any higher than entry level zt which will have a consumer grade engine, drive and capabilities with virutally no towing capacity.

Think of the Cub 2000 as a thinking persons X500... which comes with a much more heavy duty drive but without a locking diff/traction control :smile:

For those who have not looked at the many pictures that show just how well the Cub 2000 is put together take a look for yourself;

betsy-tom (betsy-tom)'s Photos | SmugMug

scroll past all the text and look for the Cub Cadet galley.

By the way, my friend tells me that the Cub section is still receiving about 50 hits per day.
Hi robert,
Thank you for the info and link to smugmug. The CC GT 2000 looks like a very nice package. The CC website is lacking in describing their mowers of all catagories but they are not the only ones. In my travels I periodically get the what should I buy question, now I feel that I can recommend this machine to folks that are looking for an above average rider mower. I did some online research and found no bad reviews on the CC GT 2000. There is a large dealer nearby that sells CC and they usually have 3-4 on display, but their mainstay is Kubota and larger equipment.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

R

robert

Mr Shamrock, I think you have pretty much nailed it-I believe your engine issues illustrate perfectly my contention that getting a consumer/estate grade zt, like my Exmark was, is a fantastic exerercise in compromise. The makers have to make so many trade offs/cut corners in the real important areas in order to bring to market a zt that the average consumer will fall for that in the end much more machine can be had in the lt catergory, and as you mention certainly much much more machine with regard to towing capacity-sincerely hope your engine problems get resolved.

jenkinsph, I realize this has been posted before but it deserves repeating-with the Cub you get a drive that you don't get with the X300 or until you are well into the X500, or so I understand anyway and in the interest of complete disclosure with the Cub one does NOT get any traction control or locking diff.

My point is simply this, to get as much engine and drive as the Cub 2000 you have to spend significantly more money and even then you still don't get a shaft drive-for what that is really worth.

Don't get , me wrong-the Cub isn't perfect and I did my best to show the missed paint areas but for about $3400, with much better performance than my Exmark it really is the deal of the century.

And as far as the Kohler Command horizontal-its incredible and I never ever thought I would ever say this but the Command is every bit as good as the Honda GX's I have that were made in Japan. The Command starts instantly without smoke, is great on fuel, doesn't use a drop of oil, is very very easy on the ear, has a perfect power/torque curve and shuts down without drama; its not a home run but a grandslam.

M

Mr. Shamrock

Robert I have to agree with you and now that I think about the last 4 years since I have had this mower there has been some things that haven't made me real happy. For example: about 6 months after I had it the block off plate for the mulching kit that I had installed at the "authorized dealer" before I took possession of it vibrated loose and I ran it over while mowing. It destoyed the blades, one hub, and of course the plate. I guess in a perfect world the consumer goes around and checks every bolt on his mower as their pre-use inspection. I didn't and it cost me - but I never went back to that dealer for anything and have bad mouthed them to whoever would listen. They refused to take any blame. A few months later one of the deck wheels rattled loose and came off. Luckily I saw it and didn't run it over. Not a big deal, but I never found the bolt so I had to buy another. Besides that and a few cosmetic things - stickers peeling off, rubber mat where you feet go coming unglued, etc it has been a decent mower. There are many times when I wish I would have just kept my free John Deere RX-75 with the Kawasaki and not worried about cutting the grass faster. Oh well - Hind sight...

M

mullins87

Questions for those of you that have what you call a garden tractor.... ...Where does the "garden" aspect of this machine figure in to gardening or anything other than mowing grass at 4" or less?

Besides a heavier frame, larger wheels/tires and usually a better engine etc...., the drive system or rear axle is supposed to be capable of pulling ground engaging equipment.

M

Mad Mackie

Mulching kits when installed cause a dramatic increase in engine and mower drive system loading. Plates increase the load, and Gator type blades further increase the engine load. Some machines can handle it and some not. When the engine load increases but the RPMs drop too much, then there is a problem with unburned fuel. This is when bad things happen to both the engine and deck drive system, but usually the engine first. This unburnt fuel ends up as carbon deposit, goes out the exhaust, and into the engine oil. It will dilute the engine oil reducing it's lubricity, thinning it and other bad things ultimately causing engine failure. It usually affects the piston rings and cylinder walls initially and things get worse from there.
There is a progression, mulching kits, mulching kits with plates, mulching kits with plates and Gator type blades. Each progression increases engine loading and in some cases too much.
When I bought my Scag Tiger Cub 48" ZTR I inquired about a mulching kit, "not recommended on this machine" was the direct answer from the sales manager.
I am not a fan of mulching kits, decks get seriously cruded up, tough to clean and belt life is shorter. I have to deal with leaves and/or pine needles almost year round and use collection systems on my machines.

R

robert

Interesting MM as the Tiger Cub is an upscale machine, certainly pro quality....

Mullins, go to the smug mug cite and look at the drive oil temp after an hour or so mowing in hot weather, the BDU10 is the real deal.

M

Mad Mackie

Was just at the Scag site, mulch kit with Gator type blades, operator controlled discharge door, and fixed discharge plate are all available for 2006 and newer Tiger Cub/Cat. These items may not have been available in 2008 when I bought the Tiger Cub. None of the commercial guys that I know around here have mulch kits, collection systems are very popular however.

M

mullins87

Interesting MM as the Tiger Cub is an upscale machine, certainly pro quality....

Mullins, go to the smug mug cite and look at the drive oil temp after an hour or so mowing in hot weather, the BDU10 is the real deal.

I noticed it wasn't much over ambient temp.

R

robert

In a word I found it- amazing -.

J

jdhone

I also saw this "transformer" style machine in the back, advertising section, of PM Magazine. I believe its called the DR. I inquired and they sent me some information on it but I never found anyone who could attest, for or against, the machine's versatility. I wanted to see what I'd be getting had I chosen to actually purchase one.

Information can be found in the back of Popular Mechanics Magazines...probably the summer issues.

jdh

M

Mad Mackie

There was a DR dealer/distributor near Enfield, CT, and in 2007 I went there and did a serious lookover of the convertable ZTR. The machine was interesting in concept and appeared to be well engineered and built. I asked the salesman if they could demo the machine for me but they declined telling me that this machine had been sold, but another machine will be in stock soon and they would call me. They never did call me and probably because DR closed the store that same summer.
I was having a coffee with a friend in the lawn care business and mentioned the DR ZTR in conversation. He chuckled and commented that Scag was top machine around here for both service support and resale value. Shortly after I came home with a Scag Tiger Cub and retired both of my high end GTs.

txzrider

txzrider

I know this is an older thread ... but I had to laugh when I saw a you tube video proving Robert wrong and KennyV and others correct.

Go forward about 9 minutes 40 seconds in to the directions of how to turn with a ztr. A joystick equipped one no less!

Country Clipper 2008 Service and Operation - YouTube