Export thread

offroad mower

Z

zig3

I am looking to make offroad lawn mower. Can somebody tell me what kind of mower i need and what all i need to do to it to make it good offroad.

K

KennyV

I am looking to make offroad lawn mower. Can somebody tell me what kind of mower i need and what all i need to do to it to make it good offroad.

Any mower ... even a push mower is going to be an offroad mower.... :smile:KennyV

Flintmotorsports

Flintmotorsports

you would want a large frame mower like a wizzard with 23 inch tires on it and the other mower i would use is a old school craftsman with the 18 inch tires on it i have do some crasy stuff with my craftsman mower i took it up over a bank it was steep i will find a photo of the one i am talking about ok good luck

Flintmotorsports

Flintmotorsports

here is the mower the one i used is a 38 inch deck 12.5 brggs and stratton motor i just took the deck off and just drove and this thing will go anywhere

Attachments

Carscw

Carscw

Best mower to use is a old Murray with a C channel frame.
A craftsman frame will break where the front cross member sits in the frame. I have broke two already.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I would say big tires are a must! :licking:

Z

zig3

Ok thanks so I will be looking for a craftsmen or a Murray .

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Ok thanks so I will be looking for a craftsmen or a Murray .

OK. Let us know if you have any problems finding one or something. Here are 2 videos I found talking about what this one guy did to make his mower an off-road mower.

(videos by Fearlessfront)

Z

zig3

About how much would an old murray or craftsmen cost?

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

It all depends on the condition. You can get one for really cheap or even free if you are willing to do some work on it. But they can be anywhere from like $50 to $500! I would suggest looking on Craigslist to see what a good price would be, and then also to look for one. Do your own searches, but look at these links also:
arrow.gif Craftsman: new orleans all for sale / wanted classifieds "craftsman tractor" - craigslist
arrow.gif Murray: new orleans all for sale / wanted classifieds "murray mower" - craigslist

Carscw

Carscw

You can find them for $100 or less without a deck.

And watch some of the stuff. Feerlessfront has done. He made a clutch that I use that works perfect no belt slip in the mud.

I have a 98 MTD garden tractor with the high/low range tranny very fast in high range and will climb anything you are brave enough to try in low.
MTD is the cheapest and easiest to make go fast. You just change the front pulley to a bigger one. Bad part is the front of the frame bolts on and MTD steering is worst set up of all riding mowers.

Carscw

Carscw

Sorry auto correct got me again

FEARLESSFRONT

metz12

metz12

Carscw, you like to ride off road too? and yes mtds are very common and easy to make go fast. mine already cruises around pretty quickly without doing a pulley swap and with the deck on! and fearles front is currently doing a project called the lifted mudding mower. he is almost done. its really cool. i would like to build one like his murray. i think he did a test and it went right around 20mph. he also has a craftsman crawling mower too. the guy is awesome!

Z

zig3

Ok i will thanks

metz12

metz12

Ok i will thanks

he has how to's all over his page. what are you looking to do? lift it? put bigger tires on it? details man!

Z

zig3

I am just looking to get one and put bigger tires on the front, lock the transaxle and pulley swap it and be done

metz12

metz12

I am just looking to get one and put bigger tires on the front, lock the transaxle and pulley swap it and be done

yeah i want to get one too to do a pulley swap in the front. i think that will be a weekend project for a buddy and i. plus, i dont have a welder:laughing:

Carscw

Carscw

Carscw, you like to ride off road too? and yes mtds are very common and easy to make go fast. mine already cruises around pretty quickly without doing a pulley swap and with the deck on! and fearles front is currently doing a project called the lifted mudding mower. he is almost done. its really cool. i would like to build one like his murray. i think he did a test and it went right around 20mph. he also has a craftsman crawling mower too. the guy is awesome!

His craftsman is cool he gets some big air with it.
Playing in the mud is fun I have found if you make the front and back pulleys the same size 4 inch you get good top speed and good low end power.

Z

zig3

How good are the old John Deere ones

metz12

metz12

His craftsman is cool he gets some big air with it.
Playing in the mud is fun I have found if you make the front and back pulleys the same size 4 inch you get good top speed and good low end power.

i want to make one that will go right around 20mph. probably to ride around on the road, play in the snow with, and maybe go off road. i want one like fearless fronts murray. but i dont think i will need to change the wheel sizes.

metz12

metz12

i want to make one that will go right around 20mph. probably to ride around on the road, play in the snow with, and maybe go off road. i want one like fearless fronts murray. but i dont think i will need to change the wheel sizes.

oh and i have another question, he lowered the front end on his murray. did you do that on yours?

Carscw

Carscw

Did not lower mine. First thing you need to do is fix the front axle so it does not pivot and get the steering so it has as little play in it as possible. I can run 35 on a dirt road but anything over 15 on a paved road it just floats all over.
I used a bike brake lever and cable for a gas pedal.
I have a couple videos on my phone I will put on YouTube of the first test runs on my craftsman

Z

zig3

How do you make it not pivot

Carscw

Carscw

You can weld it or put two bolts in it.

It's easy and cheap to go fast but a lot of work and money to make it as safe as you can

Going 30 mph on a riding mower is not safe at all but that's what makes it fun.
I have flipped over backwards riding wheelies flipped over on my side slung off the front when I hit a stump. Wear a helmet.

metz12

metz12

Did not lower mine. First thing you need to do is fix the front axle so it does not pivot and get the steering so it has as little play in it as possible. I can run 35 on a dirt road but anything over 15 on a paved road it just floats all over.
I have a couple videos on my phone I will put on YouTube of the first test runs on my craftsman

what is your youtube name? i'll subscibe to your channel and check out your videos:biggrin:

Z

zig3

But what do you put bolts through or weld

metz12

metz12

What is your youtube name? i will subscribe to your channel and check out your videos:smile:

Z

zig3

So what do you weld or put bolts through so the front axle dosent pivot

Carscw

Carscw

What you need to do is sit the mower level and weld the axle to the sleeve that it sits in or drill two holes one on each side of the center hole and put bolts threw.
I have a solid cast axle off a poulan so I welded plates on the top and bottom of the sleeve.
Because it is a pain in the azz to weld thin steel to cast.

image-3802091538.png

Z

zig3

Ok and do you think that the really old garden tractors are go for trails and woods.

metz12

metz12

What you need to do is sit the mower level and weld the axle to the sleeve that it sits in or drill two holes one on each side of the center hole and put bolts threw.
I have a solid cast axle off a poulan so I welded plates on the top and bottom of the sleeve.

View attachment 11265

oh ok. i see what you did there. and, did you get those videos up? what is your youtube name?

metz12

metz12

View attachment 11265

one more question, did you lock the trans-axel on your tractor?

Carscw

Carscw

Try this not sure if I did it right
Should be under Carscw65

http://youtu.be/_wkU1K-hm0U

Carscw

Carscw

one more question, did you lock the trans-axel on your tractor?

Did not lock it. Makes it to hard to turn if you want to trail ride

Z

zig3

But does it get stuck easy since you didnt lock it

metz12

metz12

thats what i read. thank you for your input. and i will check out your videos:biggrin:

metz12

metz12

and yes, they are all on. and you are really moving in that 14 second video. why dont you have a hood on it though?

Carscw

Carscw

I do have a hood for it I just never put it on.
Got the mower for free cut the grass a few times and blew the engine up. Thought this would be fun do took a engine off a snapper with a bad deck.
The 14 second video was my first run with just a smaller back pulley. It is a lot faster now.

Z

zig3

Does it get stuck easier since you didnt lock it

metz12

metz12

I do have a hood for it I just never put it on.
Got the mower for free cut the grass a few times and blew the engine up. Thought this would be fun do took a engine off a snapper with a bad deck.
The 14 second video was my first run with just a smaller back pulley. It is a lot faster now.

very cool. im hopefully going to try to find a rider at a local scrap yard. any recommendations? i know i want to try to find a craftsman or a yard machines/murray. what size engine? briggs? kohler? any info would be great!

Z

zig3

So what did you weld or bolt on the front axle to lock it

Carscw

Carscw

very cool. im hopefully going to try to find a rider at a local scrap yard. any recommendations? i know i want to try to find a craftsman or a yard machines/murray. what size engine? briggs? kohler? any info would be great!

I use a old 12hp Kohler off a old snapper was going to put a Briggs 22hp twin on it but really don't need more power.

Carscw

Carscw

So what did you weld or bolt on the front axle to lock it

The axle sits in a sleeve you want to make the axle and sleeve one unit you can weld them together or bolt them together

Z

zig3

Ok thanks and what is better a craftsmen or murray

Carscw

Carscw

The craftsman has the better rear end but the Murray has the best frame.
The craftsman steering is good and strong.
If you can weld then the craftsman is good. You have to weld some plates on the side of the frame right behind the front axle

Z

zig3

Ok and is it better to get one off Craigslist or a scrap yard

Carscw

Carscw

Ok and is it better to get one off Craigslist or a scrap yard

Craigslist works good.
I am always on the lookout for mowers best ones I have found have been sitting in a yard. I see them all the time just sitting in a yard. It's funny the whole yard will be cut and tall grass all around a mower. Most times can get it for free

Z

zig3

Ok we'll I never thought of looking in yards

Carscw

Carscw

It is getting harder to find old mowers and cars.

Around here all the crack heads scrap them

Z

zig3

Yea I haven't really seen any around here I guess people scrap them just to get a couple bucks

Z

zig3

Could an old snapper be an offroad mower

Carscw

Carscw

Could an old snapper be an offroad mower

Not sure how good the frame would hold up as just one 2inch pipe holds the front to the back together. But they are easy to make go fast but chews up the clutch disk fast.
Best old snapper rer to use would be 1642. It was heavy duty with a 42 inch deck. But still to light in the front you would not be able to turn in mud or going faster than stock

Z

zig3

Well that wouldn't be to good

Z

zig3

Can you pulley swap or lock the transaxle on a John deere

Z

zig3

Cause my friend gave me one for free

Carscw

Carscw

Can you pulley swap or lock the transaxle on a John deere

Yes same as you would on a craftsman.

Was just playing with my MTD garden tractor put bigger pulley on the front only goes 16mph going to try a smaller one on the back tomorrow hope to get over 40mph.
If that don't work I am going to put a 7 speed craftsman rear end under it.

Z

zig3

So I can pulley swap it and lock it I thought it would mess up I was told it had a hydro but it is a six speed and you must want to go fast

metz12

metz12

Yes same as you would on a craftsman.

Was just playing with my MTD garden tractor put bigger pulley on the front only goes 16mph going to try a smaller one on the back tomorrow hope to get over 40mph.
If that don't work I am going to put a 7 speed craftsman rear end under it.

thats sick. i wish i had tractor parts laying around like you do.

Carscw

Carscw

So I can pulley swap it and lock it I thought it would mess up I was told it had a hydro but it is a six speed and you must want to go fast

If its a hydro don't do it. Won't last but a couple hours.
I don't lock mine at all I like to do donuts.

Going fast is what I live for.

Racing is the only sport that you have to have two balls.

Carscw

Carscw

thats sick. i wish i had tractor parts laying around like you do.

Took me years to get them all.
I would get one here and there but now my wife says I am out of control.
I spend way to much time building things.

Z

zig3

Ok but how do I know if it is a hydro

Z

zig3

And also can I still do good offroad

Carscw

Carscw

Ok but how do I know if it is a hydro

You can run the model #s does the shift lever move easy or does it feel like gears

How old is it and what model

Z

zig3

I can feel it like go on every gear and it is an early 90s but I don't know what model it is at my friends still

Z

zig3

I think it is a hydro but will it still be good offroad and what upgrades can i do to it

Carscw

Carscw

I think it is a hydro but will it still be good offroad and what upgrades can i do to it

If its a hydro you can still change out the pulleys.
I would split it in half clean it out good and fill back up with a good oil not sure what to use but I bet KENNY would know.
Start a post and ask I bet he will know.

Or you can just put bigger tires on for more speed but will lose take off power.

Z

zig3

Ok thanks but the back tires are already big but how do i put big tires o n the front

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Ok thanks but the back tires are already big but how do i put big tires o n the front
Maybe this will help....it is what I posted in post #8.

Carscw

Carscw

^^^^^ that's the best way I know of.

Z

zig3

Ok thanks I will watch it and hope it helps

Z

zig3

But I don't know how to weld is there another way

Carscw

Carscw

You can find some wheels that are taller but not wider.
You could buy a cheap flux core wire feed welder and learn to weld its not that hard and you will have fun.

Z

zig3

Ok i will look for higher tires and i am taking welding class at my school

B

Buckshot 1

:smile: I have read all 8 pages of this post. You Guys are building something that will turn into a disaster. Most front axle beams are nothing but stamped sheet metal and those j-spindles are not designed for what you are tryng to do. Ever seen a front sheet metal beam collapse or have a j-spindle break off? Its not a pretty sight. Also I have not read anywhere about improving the braking system. Stock brakes are fine on stock equipment. But not worth a darn when the drive belt breaks are comes off or the trans expoldes. As safety is the main factor when building something like you are doing. Go heymow.com and read some of thier builds. Also I see nothing mentioned about how you are going to kill the engine if you throwed off. This post may rile up some peolpe, but safety should be the 1st factor when building anything to use that its not designed for.

Carscw

Carscw

:smile: I have read all 8 pages of this post. You Guys are building something that will turn into a disaster. Most front axle beams are nothing but stamped sheet metal and those j-spindles are not designed for what you are tryng to do. Ever seen a front sheet metal beam collapse or have a j-spindle break off? Its not a pretty sight. Also I have not read anywhere about improving the braking system. Stock brakes are fine on stock equipment. But not worth a darn when the drive belt breaks are comes off or the trans expoldes. As safety is the main factor when building something like you are doing. Go heymow.com and read some of thier builds. Also I see nothing mentioned about how you are going to kill the engine if you throwed off. This post may rile up some peolpe, but safety should be the 1st factor when building anything to use that its not designed for.

All good points. As I said before I use a cast iron axle beam because a stamped on will break if your doing wheeles or jumping hills.

You would be surprised how fast the stock brakes will stop you.

Have not thought about killing the engine if you fall off. But you could put a kill switch on like they use on a jet ski.

Your right we have not talked about safety as much as you would like us to.
But welding the front axle and getting all the steering parts tight is for safety.

I have never had a j-spindle bend or break and I am very hard on them. Not saying they will not or can not break.

Thank you for bringing up safety I will look at the website.

Carscw

Carscw

Looked at hey mow.com. They talk about building and setting up race mowers.
We are talking about just playing in the yard riding trails or getting in the mud.
There is a lot you have to do to make a race mower. And lots of money.

Is there a risk of getting hurt doing this? YES

I race dirt track 120mph on wet red clay and you get hurt when you hit the wall or flip over but it's all part of doing what you love.

B

Buckshot 1

:smile: I did not mean to imply, that you were building racing mowers. The reason I suggested the heymow, you can see what they do with thier front axles, kill switch (jet ski setup good idea)and brakes. Using the stock brake attached to the transaxle, if you break/lose the belt you have no way of stopping the tractor. Cast iron being brittle it does take much of a hit to snap one. J-spindles, there method of retaining the wheel, leaves alot to be desired, For safety, I would drill and tap the spindle for a 5/16 -18/24 grade 5 bolt and a big flat washer along some blue lock-tite, also add a guesst to the j for added strenght. Check other builds on the heymow site, there is some interesting information. I fiqured that you were a dirt track racer from the picture. There is chance of getting hurt, wether your are racing/off roading a mower or everyday life. Why bump up the odds?

Carscw

Carscw

:smile: I did not mean to imply, that you were building racing mowers. The reason I suggested the heymow, you can see what they do with thier front axles, kill switch (jet ski setup good idea)and brakes. Using the stock brake attached to the transaxle, if you break/lose the belt you have no way of stopping the tractor. Cast iron being brittle it does take much of a hit to snap one. J-spindles, there method of retaining the wheel, leaves alot to be desired, For safety, I would drill and tap the spindle for a 5/16 -18/24 grade 5 bolt and a big flat washer along some blue lock-tite, also add a guesst to the j for added strenght. Check other builds on the heymow site, there is some interesting information. I fiqured that you were a dirt track racer from the picture. There is chance of getting hurt, wether your are racing/off roading a mower or everyday life. Why bump up the odds?

I will add a support to the J.
Some guys weld a bolt to the end of the j so they can put wider tires on the front then double nut
I look at the clips that hold the front wheel on every time I get on it. They are the one part I worry about.

I am sure we all will find things on the website that we will use.

Z

zig3

Do you know how to hook up a kill switch and how do you upgrade those parts you are talking about

Carscw

Carscw

The kill switch is easy you can just use your seat switch so if you come off the seat it will **** the engine off.

I would not worry to much about the axle beam or the j- spindles Just going a little faster and trail riding you will be ok.

If your going to be riding wheelies or jumping a few feet then you could break them after some time.

Carscw

Carscw

This is the craftsman with the cast iron axle beam
It holds up good but as you can see the frame starts to split. It broke in both sides.

image-1331487702.png

Z

zig3

Ok thanks I will not be Doing jumping or wheelies

Z

zig3

Well its time to get the starter rebuilt on my john deere 260 because it would only turn over if you hit it with a hammer .

Z

zig3

Turn out it is a turf torq geared transmissioj

Carscw

Carscw

Turn out it is a turf torq geared transmissioj

I am not a JD FAN but you will be happy with this it will take a lot of abuse

Z

zig3

We'll I like Jds and it was free so that's even better but now I have to get a new startor unless I can find somebody to rebuild it and I hope thy is all in need and I am really happy that it is not a hydro so now I am going to lock it

B

Buckshot 1

:smile: Carscw, very common problem on those Craftsman. My take is poor design. If they had welded all the way around and put a stiffener plate on the inside of the frame problem maybe solved. I have repaired a few, using the the above idea and have no come backs. I also drill a small hole at the end of the crack to relieve the stress and then vee the crack and weld it up, of course after pulling the crack back together. Zig3, for a kill switch, use the seat safety switch as Carscw stated or setup for a jet-ski.

Z

zig3

Ok I will use the seat one but first I have to get it running

Z

zig3

Anybody know where I can get a cheap starter

Carscw

Carscw

Anybody know where I can get a cheap starter

I get mine at napa they around $25 cheaper than the dealer or a mower shop. I would say just get a rebuild kit but you hit yours with a hammer.
Never ever ever hit a starter with anything. If you feel the need to hit it to get it to work hit the top or bottom. The inside wall is a magnet and when you hit it the magnet breaks.

I will give you a starter but you have to come get it. Lol.

Z

zig3

Ok we'll I can't come get it its two far away and I found one for sixty five is that a good deal and I didn't know the hammer would mess it up .

Carscw

Carscw

$65 is not to bad but bet you can find one for $50.
I had to learn the hard way not to hit a starter. But I still do it just a little tap on the top to get it to start one more time.
When I am doing my bank owned homes I carry extra parts with me. Starter/ tires / deck spindles / blades.

Z

zig3

I will keep looking and that is a good idea to carry spare parts

Z

zig3

Do yall know how to get the starter off i took of the two top bolts but it is still tight in there

Carscw

Carscw

Hit it with a hammer

metz12

metz12

Hit it with a hammer

and then try to pry the thing off.

Z

zig3

Ok thanks i will try that tomorrow

Z

zig3

Got it off but I can't find one cheaper than 65

Carscw

Carscw

Did you call any small shops they could have a used one

Z

zig3

No i haven't thought of that but how much cheaper would that be

Carscw

Carscw

Maybe half. But some guys think they have gold and want new price.
There is a man has had a add on Craigslist for months now selling starters and wants $80 for them.

Z

zig3

Ok we'll I will keep looking and do I have to take the fenders off to get the gas tank out so I can drain it

Z

zig3

Do y'all think it is worth buying a starter and putting the money into it if I don't even know that it works

Carscw

Carscw

Do y'all think it is worth buying a starter and putting the money into it if I don't even know that it works

Why did they stop using it?

Z

zig3

It was given to them by one of there friends that had it sitting at there house

metz12

metz12

It was given to them by one of there friends that had it sitting at there house

I personally would try to get them down in price.

Z

zig3

I personally would try to get them down in price.

Down on what price the mower was free.

B

Buckshot 1

:smile: I use DB electrical whe buying starters. Good prices and most of the time free shipping.

Z

zig3

I looked but it is still 65 there to

metz12

metz12

Down on what price the mower was free.

the starter.

Z

zig3

Ok I will try to

Z

zig3

Yea but i want to find one cheaper but i cant.

Z

zig3

Sorry for not being on for a while but i have it almost tore down but still cant find a starter for less than 65 bucks and can somebody tell me how the belt goes on from the engine to the transaxle and the carb has a line coming out of it but it does not go anywhere what is it