New Kholer Synthetic oil for Kohler engine in B27i

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / New Kholer Synthetic oil for Kohler engine in B27i
Most name brand oil does does put the basic spec info on the container. Now it is up to us to look these specs details up and to match to our engine requirements. In my case the Moly is use to fill in gaps on bearing surfaces and scoring on the cylinder walls. But considering that engine has 330K miles on it there bound to have been some wear even with the best oils if used.

I personally don't it previous history but I do know some idiot or (deleted text) RTVed the intake manifold and didn't wait for it to cure properly before adding the antifreeze. I finally got it stopped for a little while using an aluminum stop leak. Just got to get time to pull the intake and do the job right.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know about gas engines, but it has come to the point that the API classification is no longer enough to guarantee that an oil meets a diesel engine's requirements. Both Ford and Cummins have their own specs and it they're not printed on the oil container, that oil is not to be used in their engines, regardless of the API rating it carries.

Born2Mow

Threads
You guys not using Slick 50 are missing out. Don't even have to put any oil in the pan anymore. Sucker is so slick, when you turn the key off, the engine keeps running. At least another 80hp at the tire tread. LOL :giggle:
That is so ancient !! Get with the program, Slomo.
You should be using Slicker 60 at a minimum, or the new Slickest 70.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Always fun to have "discussions" ? about oil or filters or spark plugs or fuels. At least they are more civil here than the ones on Arborsite. Some of those guys bring weapons. ??. On one forum i thought two guys were really going to fight it out over who made the best hand tools. Got to love the fanboys.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Always fun to have "discussions" ? about oil or filters or spark plugs or fuels. At least they are more civil here than the ones on Arborsite. Some of those guys bring weapons. ??. On one forum i thought two guys were really going to fight it out over who made the best hand tools. Got to love the fanboys.
I was given a 3/8" Sparta ratchet and socket set a LONG time ago. I still have it.
Back then, Sparta was considered one of the cheaper tool brands on the market.
I doubt if you can even buy one of equal or better quality now.

Let the mud fly.

Back on topic: All oil is good; some is better than others. My brand is better than your brand.

Joed756

Threads
First of all, Kohler doesn't make oil, synthetic or fossil, so buying Kohler oil is just adding a mark-up on the price.. 300 hours isn't a long time, I think I'd be OK with that because syn. oil does not break down. Years ago a test was performed with Mobil 1 vs standard Mobil oil using NYC taxis. I don't remember how many miles they got on the regular oil before lubricity failed due to molecular breakdown, but the test was stopped after 1 million hours and there was no change to any of the measured parameters of the Mobil 1. I've stuck with synthetics ever since. Remember, every time you use a wrench on any machine you introduce a failure mode that didn't exist before, such as a filter with stress cracks. For that reason I rarely perform any maintenance early.

Joed756

Threads
I was given a 3/8" Sparta ratchet and socket set a LONG time ago. I still have it.
Back then, Sparta was considered one of the cheaper tool brands on the market.
I doubt if you can even buy one of equal or better quality now.

Let the mud fly.

Back on topic: All oil is good; some is better than others. My brand is better than your brand.
My mom worked in a factory making off-set screwdrivers. At the end of the assembly line was a stamp. Sometimes that stamp was fitted with "Craftsman", sometimes "General", sometimes others.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
First of all, Kohler doesn't make oil, synthetic or fossil, so buying Kohler oil is just adding a mark-up on the price.. 300 hours isn't a long time, I think I'd be OK with that because syn. oil does not break down. Years ago a test was performed with Mobil 1 vs standard Mobil oil using NYC taxis. I don't remember how many miles they got on the regular oil before lubricity failed due to molecular breakdown, but the test was stopped after 1 million hours and there was no change to any of the measured parameters of the Mobil 1. I've stuck with synthetics ever since. Remember, every time you use a wrench on any machine you introduce a failure mode that didn't exist before, such as a filter with stress cracks. For that reason I rarely perform any maintenance early.
I would like to think, buying Kohler oil, it would be formulated for their engines, regardless who makes it. They put their name on it so any failures would look bad on their part.

300 hours is roughly 12 times more than a typical push mower sees in a season. Push mowers hold less oil than a 0 turn. Plus 0 turns mostly run filters. Still these are air cooled and run pretty hot. It takes about a minute to reach full operating temp.

So called synthetic oil will break down just like dino oil. Don't know where you heard this misinformation from. It's not so much the base stock but the additive pack is what suffers. Every oil out today has some form of additives.

That Mobile 1 test was a sales gimmick. 1 million hours......... COME ON MAN (Sleepy Joe Biden). Won't even go into that so called "test".

slomo