New Kholer Synthetic oil for Kohler engine in B27i

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / New Kholer Synthetic oil for Kohler engine in B27i
I will add a little side story.
Most British motorcycle pre 1980 used a centrifugal oil filter inside the crank, commonly called a sludge trap in conjunction with a settleing tank + a ew gauze screens to protect various devices.
The recommended time between bottom end rebuilds is 30,000 miles, mainly to clean out the sludge trap.
A riding friend has a bike that would not hold pressure at idle, a sure sign that the previous owner had not done the bottom end work.
Well he was a sailor who did regular coastal work so it was 6 days on & 6 days off.
HE changed the oil every time he rode the bike ( usually on a 4 to 6 day ride ) and the clean looking oil then got used to do an oil change in his F 250 truck.
120,000 miles latter he sold the said same bike with exactly the same low oil pressure problem that it has when he bought it.

as another riding pal used to say
"Oil is the cheapest part you can put into a motor"

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thread is locked.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Really ?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
But i have to know what oil is the best oil.

awkerper

Threads
My thought is that I would have to contact Kohler directly. But I didn’t read all the literature that came with the Walker yet. I was just trying to accumulate the oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, etc that I would need in the first 2-3 years of ownership.
Would the oil specs be in one of the manuals? And can one trust the specs provided by oil manufacturers?
In my experience, the manuals normally tell you what viscosity of oil to use as well as any other specifications that may be required. For example, if it says the oil must meet API SJ, then I look for that on the oil container. If the container says it meets that specification, I am comfortable using it and I have not had problems to date.

Other things are important, such as making sure you have the right amount of oil, not too little and not too much, and make sure that contaminants do not get into the engine when you take the filler cap off.