New Kholer Synthetic oil for Kohler engine in B27i

footballfan33

Threads
Reading through the 2021 manual, the B27i is now coming from the factory with Full Synthetic Kohler Pro 10W-50 motor oil (the engine is a Kohler 27 horse fuel injected model). The specs say you can go 300 hours between oil changes. The filter plus 2Q of oil are being sold at Tractor Supply for $45.
What are everyone's thoughts on following those recommendations?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I usually change oil & filter in my equipment once year, unless i get to the required hours first.

footballfan33

Threads
Good to know. What is a the shelf life of synthetic oil?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Apparently Kohler is trying to force the customers to buy the 2 qt plus filter Kit (P/N 25 850 02-S) as they have both the 1 qt (P/N 25 850 02-S) and the 5 qt (P/N 25 850 02-S) listed as NLA. Personally I would just use the Kawasaki Full Synthetic 15W50 with Zinc additive, 1 qt (P/N 99969-6501) or the 5 qt (P/N 99969-6502) which lists at a more reasonable price and use a high quality filter; under $10 a qt.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you want top tier oil get Redline. They make real deal, full blown synthetic oil. And a Wix/NAPA filter. Or a Purolator if you can get one.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The last new Purolator filter about cost me my Silverado engine. It had two stress crack in the filter can from the factory. I lost nearly 4 qts on a 40 mile round trip to a local town. And Purolator would not even honor their warranty so I no longer buy them.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / New Kholer Synthetic oil for Kohler engine in B27i
The last new Purolator filter about cost me my Silverado engine. It had two stress crack in the filter can from the factory. I lost nearly 4 qts on a 40 mile round trip to a local town. And Purolator would not even honor their warranty so I no longer buy them.
My last Purolator did a great job, far as I know.

Sorry to hear about your issue. You should of had 2 quarts in the pan. Are you not running Slick 50? What happened to the filter?

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Dang factory defect. Stress cracks from stamping the cup, they literally stretched the metal too much then they heavily painted over it. The paint held until the oil got up to operating temp. It happened right the oil change and no way my hand would have crack the filter cup. That could have been one heck of an expensive engine replacement.

Thanks to using Moly additive I was able to save the engine as the post should have read nearly "lost" the engine. My oil pressure was down to 20 psi going down the road after replacing the missing oil and bad filter. I had thought I blew a rear main seal but the UV dye traced the problem to the filter. Now the Moly has restored my pressure back to 50-60 psi going the road using 5w30 semi synthetic oil.

And no I am not running Slick 50. At the time I was using the 10W30 conventional oil the manual called for. Currently running Triax 5W30 API GF-5/SN, Synthetic Blend but it due for an oil change at 330K which just it passed. The problem is now that the Triax 5w30 isn't listed anymore on Amazon and I would need to switch 5W40 Full synthetic to keep the Moly additive.but $115 is not bad for 5 gallons.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Anything but a Fram!?
Many years ago i was using a moly additive in my 1988 dodge caravan with the 3,0L Mitsubishi engine. In about a year the engine had stuck rings. According to the nechanic at the dealership the engine had very tight tolerances between the rings and grooves and the moly additive causes the rings to stick. BS? I don't know. They fixed it under warranty but was told not to use the moly again or it wouldn't be fixed under warranty.
Back in high school i used to use 3 or 4 cans of "Motor Honey" in my Galaxie with a ragged out 352 every oil change.