Murray Mowers

mystreba

Threads
I don't know why people gotta be haters like that. If you don't like them, fine.....but don't jump in against someone just for mentioning them.:

I think it's fine if someone doesn't like a particular brand, but it would be good to have more information. If the person who's owned a particular car doesn't like that car, we could all benefit from knowing why they had such a bad experience.

Otherwise, it's just an opinion. And opinions are like....

oops, I forgot - no swearing :rolleyes:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think it's fine if someone doesn't like a particular brand, but it would be good to have more information. If the person who's owned a particular car doesn't like that car, we could all benefit from knowing why they had such a bad experience.

Otherwise, it's just an opinion. And opinions are like....

oops, I forgot - no swearing :rolleyes:

Well, one person's strong opinions because they got a lemon does not Consumer Reports make. :biggrin:

ihc_444

Threads
Bless you!!!! Welcome to LMF.......

Tell them if you take care of it, a Murray is a good machine.....PLEASE.....I'm getting tired of doing it alone.......:laughing:

My Mom is still mowing with the 11HP B&S Murray that Dad bought new in 1985 (to replace a 1976 Sears, which still runs by the way but eats mower belts like candy corn). We hauled the little Murray home in a crate and put the wheels, steering wheel and deck on in the driveway. It has gone through a deck but still has the original engine (only oil and spark plugs changed), transmission and tires.

They will treat you as good as you treat them. And as for the deck, it was only $30 bucks more than replacing the spindles and a lot easier.

My 1999 widebody has also had the deck replaced but my house is/was on "Rolling Acres" and the name is fitting. The quick leveling mechanism tended to droop after several uses. When I replaced the deck I leveled and drilled holes in the brackets and bolted it in place. It still has height adjustment but the plastic wing nuts for the deck leveling are history.

Prior to the Murray widebodys I had a Lowe's brand. I think was made my MTD. It was fine but only a 38" cut. We had 3 1/2 acres (rolling) so I upgraged to the 42" widebody in '98 (hydro drive) then when I got married and found that my wife enjoyed mowing I got a 46" manual transmission widebody in '99. Both still run and mow great. We moved on a section of my grandparents farm 4 years ago and team mow our place and theirs (about 3-4 acres but nice and level!). My Uncle gave me his old John Deere LX178 so the manual Murray sits a lot. My wife complains that we have a two car garage but can't even get one car in it!

Black Bart

Threads
If u were smart in this area u would know "good and bad" plus I garuntee u never worked on a murray.....I own several riders and a lot of small engines,and run a Murray 18.5hp twin 46" inch deck commercially for 3yrs mowing over 15 acres a week and have never had a problem, u just have to know how to run and maintain riders,small engines etc. And if u r impling deeres as "good" than ur outta ur mind,cause Deere has terrible designs,trust me if worked on them for years
:laughing:Thanks Opposed Twin you provided me with a good laugh today.

Their is a good reason Murray went out of business they could no longer sell their crap.:thumbdown:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
:laughing:Thanks Opposed Twin you provided me with a good laugh today.

Their is a good reason Murray went out of business they could no longer sell their crap.:thumbdown:

Whatever, dude. :rolleyes:

Of course, you have high dollar names under your username....Grasshopper and JD.....Why am I not surprised you enjoy picking on Murray?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Muhammad,

In the last three months (my tenure here), there have been TONS of threads referring to Murray. Yet there STILL is no Murray forum. People have joined with it in their username, started threads about them, etc. yet there is STILL no Murray forum.

Four or five threads about professional lawn care in three weeks, and BOOM! They have their own forum.

Are you concerned that the Murray folks will get jumped all over faster by John Deere, Cub Cadet, and ZTR owners if they have their own forum? Or do your share their dislike for the brand, and just not want to blight your site with the name? :wink:

Love them or loathe them, they are as much a part of the lawn mowing community as anyone, and their numbers are not insignifigant.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Love them or loathe them, they are as much a part of the lawn mowing community as anyone, and their numbers are not insignifigant.

I would place the Murray as the VW of mowers... Very affordable, very dependable, and millions of them around... well maybe not any more for the VW or Murray... but they sure do get talked about a LOT... and more than a few are converted to yard tow tractors. or trail pack mules... they definitely were on the big boom years of rider mowers... :smile:KennyV

Oddball

Threads
My dad bought a Murray push mower w/ 5HP B&S from K-Mart back in the late 1970s. He and I both used it until 1998 when I decided to get a new self propelled mower. The only thing ever done to that mower aside from regular maintenance was I replaced the wheels about a year before I gave it away. It was still running then, just getting hard to start and I didn't want to fool with trying to figure out what was wrong with a 28 year old mower that only cost about $39.95 brand new. The Murray and the ancient Craftsman mower that it replaced were the only two mowers my dad ever owned as far as I know. He bought his first house in 1959 I believe, and died in 2001, so 2 mowers in 42 years of home ownership and grass cutting. I'd say he got his money's worth out of both.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think what hurt Murray the most was the almost simultaneous bankruptcy of Agway and Central Tractor (for whom and through whom they distributed A LOT of product). Wal Mart just couldn't fill the void. Sears went to someone who could do it cheaper. TSC went with MTD's Huskee brand. It's a cut-throat world. If not for Cub Cadet, MTD would have suffered the same fate.

'Cause MTD makes just as cheap a mower as Murray did, in MOST of it's lines. Stuff THAT in your pipe, Cub elitists! In most cases, a MTD is indistiguishable from a Murray. So to have any modern era Cub enthusist trash Murray is always a laughable irony....

Last edited:

mystreba

Threads
and millions of them around... well maybe not any more for the VW or Murray...

There are TONS of VW's around - I know, because every time I take my kids anywhere I come home with a sore arm from them punching it all the time :rolleyes: