Export thread

Murray Mowers

C

carl22

Whatever happened to Murray mowers? I still have a Murray tractor, needs belts and tires but it runs. I was at Wal-Mart this past spring looking for a little Murray push mower, but they don't have them anymore. Had to settle for a (gasp!) Weed Eater brand mower.

N

noma

Hay Carl22

I had a Murray mower too , it was a rider with 8 hp engine B &S . Was a good mower worked very well was a big old thing kinda hard to use in smaller places. I'm sure someone bought them out .:eek:

D

dgl24087

Murray went bankrupt in 2005. Briggs & Stratton purchased their assets on Feb. 11, 2005, and continues to market products under the Murray name. Home Depot, True Value Hardware and maybe Lowe's still handle Murray parts.

C

carl22

That's too bad. Murray was one of the better mowers, in my opinion, at a good price. I think I bought mine in 2000 and, besides the belts and tires, is still running and still looks decent today.

JDgreen

JDgreen

That's too bad. Murray was one of the better mowers, in my opinion, at a good price. I think I bought mine in 2000 and, besides the belts and tires, is still running and still looks decent today.

Interesting that I found this discussion, I was just trying to find reasonably priced drive belts for my '89 vintage Craftsman snowblower, and a lot of places had Murray belts to fit. Cannot recall the last time I saw a Murray mower though.

I

ILENGINE

brute mowers is what replaced Murray.

C

carl22

Where are Brute mowers sold. They may have replaced Murray, but they don't sell them at Walmart. Or, I should say, no Walmart I've been to recently, in the Alabama/Tennessee area. I don't think I've ever heard of Brute.

I

ILENGINE

I have repaired some for the Effingham, IL Walmart so it may be one of those north of I-70 things.

S

Snr

I recently had to purchase a new mower as my Murray Select 22" 3 in 1 push mower (Briggs and Stratton 6HP engine) had rust that ate through the deck. Mower was 10 plus years old and was a great machine for me. My prior mower was also a Murray. Briggs And Stratton purchased the Murray brand in 2005, but does not presently market or distribute Murray mowers in the USA and it does not look like there are plans to revive the Murray brand in the near future. Brute mowers are also a Briggs And Stratton brand and are sold a Wal Mart.

My new mower is a Lawn Boy.

07drummerboy

07drummerboy

I still own 2 murray ride on mowers i will do my best to post pictures up in a while.

mystreba

mystreba

I still own 2 murray ride on mowers i will do my best to post pictures up in a while.

Well that's just a given with the fleet you've got going over there!

O

Opposed twin

I hav 2 Murrays

I

indypower

You couldn't pay me to take another piece of crap Murray. Bad design, unreliable.

O

Opposed twin

That's fine by me.....more for me, and it's ur loss

O

Opposed twin

And Murray has great designs, there long lasting, and very reiliable,u just have to kno how to take care of them

CajunCub

CajunCub

The only way to keep a Murray in good condition is to not use it, no kidding...just buy one and watch it sit there & don't ever crank it up....it'll NEVER break!:laughing:
Just don't be a "cheap-o" next time, Buy a Good Mower!

O

Opposed twin

If u were smart in this area u would know "good and bad" plus I garuntee u never worked on a murray.....I own several riders and a lot of small engines,and run a Murray 18.5hp twin 46" inch deck commercially for 3yrs mowing over 15 acres a week and have never had a problem, u just have to know how to run and maintain riders,small engines etc. And if u r impling deeres as "good" than ur outta ur mind,cause Deere has terrible designs,trust me if worked on them for years

O

Opposed twin

And about cub cadets....I hope u enjoy urs and it's old...cause the new ones are by MTD which everything they make is awful and very cheapy just because u pay more don't mean it's better quality

twall

twall

And about cub cadets....I hope u enjoy urs and it's old...cause the new ones are by MTD which everything they make is awful and very cheapy just because u pay more don't mean it's better quality

Cubs have been made since 1980 by MTD solely. The cub cadet line was sold by IH to MTD at that time........any questions?

That'd include the red-and -black ones with DIESELS, since it was MTD that were the ones to put diesels in Cubs, NOT IH.........

Check your ignorance and prejudice at the door..........

O

Opposed twin

Ok, so they been cheapy since 1980

CajunCub

CajunCub

Well OT, I do only have 30 YEARS experience with lawn, commercial, industrial & rental equipment (Mower, Saws, Trimmers, Blowers, Generators, Pumps, Log Splitters, Chipper Shredder, Tractors, Dozers, Esquivators, Pressure Washers, Concrete Trowles, ECT) I hold a Master Tech. Certification in about 14 different "Engine "manufactors. I was the Shop Manager for the largest Rental Epuipment Co. in the southeastern United States. I could have you completely disassemble your mower, put it in boxes and send it to me, & I could rebuild it Blindfolded!
I do know Murrays' and ANY other kind of equipment (USA or Japanese Built)...A Murray is a Cheap piece of CRAP, with or without you owning one!

twall

twall

The only way to keep a Murray in good condition is to not use it, no kidding...just buy one and watch it sit there & don't ever crank it up....it'll NEVER break!:laughing:
Just don't be a "cheap-o" next time, Buy a Good Mower!

As far as YOU, SOB......:laughing: ANY mower can be a good mower if cared for, and used for what it was really designed for......not what it looks like.........

So back off of Murray..We aren't all millionaires.

O

Opposed twin

Thank you twall,and Cajuncub....I am not trying to offend you

O

Opposed twin

CajunCub said:
Well OT, I do only have 30 YEARS experience with lawn, commercial, industrial & rental equipment (Mower, Saws, Trimmers, Blowers, Generators, Pumps, Log Splitters, Chipper Shredder, Tractors, Dozers, Esquivators, Pressure Washers, Concrete Trowles, ECT) I hold a Master Tech. Certification in about 14 different "Engine "manufactors. I was the Shop Manager for the largest Rental Epuipment Co. in the southeastern United States. I could have you completely disassemble your mower, put it in boxes and send it to me, & I could rebuild it Blindfolded!
I do know Murrays' and ANY other kind of equipment (USA or Japanese Built)...A Murray is a Cheap piece of CRAP, with or without you owning one!

Good for u (sarcasm) I do not care nor do I believe u..... U have ur opinion and I have mine. Let's not be rude to eachother and end this discussion here...agreed?

twall

twall

That's really a nice bio......you lookin for a freakin JOB? :laughing:

I don't give a CRAP if you're the president of the US!!!!! I know Murrays can be good mowers if you buy right, treat them right! If you don't agree, your book learnin and fancy creds mean SQUAT with me! You are little more than a freakin little salesman pushing some overpriced crap on some shmuck who can't afford it!!

O

Opposed twin

Wow wow wow here guys I can afford it but I spend my money wisly (or try to) hahaha usually succesful and with the 3 Murrays I hav they were great buys

O

Opposed twin

But thank you for understanding the situation and his ignorance and defending murrays

twall

twall

But thank you for understanding the situation and his ignorance and defending murrays

I have snapper as my avatar for a reason: I 'snap'!!!!!

This is a forum.....have fun! I don't hate you, or anyone here.......we are sparrin...funnin....messin around.....(mainly because this moron got me good - I beleived he mistook your quote for mine......he wants action...LOL)

Just calm and realize this is all play.

I DO think any tractor can be a good tractor, if cared for right.

Don't go away.......you belong....:biggrin:

CajunCub

CajunCub

OT, you win.....Thank You so much for your in depth reseach into the quality of Wal Mart lawn equipment maintance products!

JDgreen

JDgreen

OT, you win.....Thank You so much for your in depth reseach into the quality of Wal Mart lawn equipment maintance products!

Ummm, last year I purchased a "Brute" brand self propelled walk behind mower at Menards, that chain also sells them as well as Wally World does. After a very minimal amount of use (2 hours at most) I wanted to change the oil, and I found the majority of the nuts attached to the bolts of the parts holding the deck and frame together were either loose or missing. I reported on the situation here. Lock washers and/or locknuts would have prevented the problem, but I guess that is too much of an expense for Murray, OOPS, Brute to handle. I just hope the situation with the hardware doesn't reflect on the rest of the mower.

JDgreen

JDgreen

"REBUILD" it blindfolded? NO WAY !!! REASSEMBLE, maybe. REBUILD BLINDFOLDED, sorry, I don't buy anybody having THAT kind of ability.

Rebuild means to replace piston rings, do a valve job, etc. Such tasks require using tools and gauges to measure tight tolerances. Impossible for ANYONE to use such measuring tools without seeing them.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

twall

twall

Ummm, last year I purchased a "Brute" brand self propelled walk behind mower at Menards, that chain also sells them as well as Wally World does. After a very minimal amount of use (2 hours at most) I wanted to change the oil, and I found the majority of the nuts attached to the bolts of the parts holding the deck and frame together were either loose or missing. I reported on the situation here. Lock washers and/or locknuts would have prevented the problem, but I guess that is too much of an expense for Murray, OOPS, Brute to handle. I just hope the situation with the hardware doesn't reflect on the rest of the mower.

Actually very few manufacturers use nylocks, or even lock washers....they all use those cheap serrated nuts......and they only grip the paint! I know what you mean about cheapness....but it's that way everywhere, with too many companies. :frown:

L

LandN

HEY JD,:smile: i wonder how much of your brute mowers nuts and bolt issues were due to the assemblers at the dept. store where you purchased it . i bought my grill earlier this year from a dept. store and got it home and found a number of bolts not even there:confused2: let alone not even being tightened down.i've also seen bicycles purchased from major dept.stores where the store personel assembles it,and not even doing it the right way. last year i was at a major brand store looking at a mower and saw that it was not assembled correctly and told the salesman about it , and went back a week later and the mower still was not in proper form.(shifter handle was on wrong). :confused2: i guess you have to check and double check everything.

twall

twall

HEY JD,:smile: i wonder how much of your brute mowers nuts and bolt issues were due to the assemblers at the dept. store where you purchased it . i bought my grill earlier this year from a dept. store and got it home and found a number of bolts not even there:confused2: let alone not even being tightened down.i've also seen bicycles purchased from major dept.stores where the store personel assembles it,and not even doing it the right way. last year i was at a major brand store looking at a mower and saw that it was not assembled correctly and told the salesman about it , and went back a week later and the mower still was not in proper form.(shifter handle was on wrong). :confused2: i guess you have to check and double check everything.

Hey, you're right......push mowers ship unassembled in a box!!! :eek:

JDgreen

JDgreen

You got that rite mower was purchased assembled in a carton. Unpack, raise handle, etc. Sent from mobile.

twall

twall

You got that rite mower was purchased assembled in a carton. Unpack, raise handle, etc. Sent from mobile.

The only mower I ever bought new, a yard machines 20" 3.5 HP push mower from walmart. on sale for $99 about 5 years ago. I had to put the handle on, bolt on the wheels, fill the oil, etc........

I

ihc_444

In my humble opinion, the crap some are referring to with Murray mowers was added to them when Murray decided to send partially assembled units to Wal-mart, Home Depot, Lowes etc where bored teenagers were suppose to complete the assembly. I have two a hydro drive and a 5 speed, both bought well before 2000. The hydro was great from day one, the 5 speed had the deck idler pulley fall off when backing out of the garage for the first time, and the deck belt would not tighten correctly. Unfortunately for me I bought the mower off season and it sat in the garage over the winter expiring the warranty. After an afternoon disassembling and reassembling the deck mounts everything works as it should and has since 1999.

H

hoehappa

I hate that that my first post is negative but I can't see even considering a murray mower. I like something semi professional like a husqvarna yth23v42ls that has a real deck and professional engine! budgets vary i know and theres probably some male ego involved but I believe in buying good quality equipment and tools to get the job done safely and quickly.:smile:

K

KennyV

ihc_444;20283 I bought the mower off season and it sat in the garage over the winter expiring the warranty. After an afternoon disassembling and reassembling the deck mounts everything works as it should and has since 1999.[/QUOTE said:
Actually its a good idea to give all your equipment a good go over to insure everything is tight and remains serviceable... when new and through out its serviceable life...
If you do this when it is new it'll be easier to know what to expect... :smile:KennyV

twall

twall

....i know and theres probably some male ego involved.....

No, I think that's about it. the whole thing.

If you are buying professional equipment and don't need to, you're just trying to impress someone with your ability to buy that kinda stuff. Just look at the Deere crowd, just here....:wink:......or you're having a "mine is bigger than yours" typical male BS contest......:rolleyes:

This being said as a male who can't afford to play this game, and I know why it's played.........a sane man knows there is good and bad in every marque, and in every price range.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Actually its a good idea to give all your equipment a good go over to insure everything is tight and remains serviceable... when new and through out its serviceable life...
If you do this when it is new it'll be easier to know what to expect... :smile:KennyV

That Brute I purchased in the carton with the loose hardware was the first mower I ever had that came with poor assembly, and I have purchased a LOT of boxed up pushers in my lifetime. Next one will certainly get a going over when it is new.

H

hoehappa

Waste all the money you want to on junk, I'll buy quality products. you read what you wanted to read in the post. I bought SEMI PROFESSIONAL equipment for $2,500.oo.:thumbsup:

K

KennyV

you read what you wanted to read in the post.

?? Who read What?? :smile:KennyV

H

hoehappa

I'm goofy as the day is long. I probably posted in the wrong spot

twall

twall

KennyV said:
?? Who read What?? :smile:KennyV

I think he was responding to me. See? That's why quotes are nice!

Right spot, new page, dude.

Sent from my WX445 using LMF

Y

Yard Guy

Have had a 10 HP rear-engined Murray for 10 years, still runs great. All I've done is replaced worn belts, and CHANGED the oil regularly. Live in Florida so I mow 9 months out of the year. Dip stick oil still is clean after months. Good engine, good mower.

twall

twall

Have had a 10 HP rear-engined Murray for 10 years, still runs great. All I've done is replaced worn belts, and CHANGED the oil regularly. Live in Florida so I mow 9 months out of the year. Dip stick oil still is clean after months. Good engine, good mower.

Bless you!!!! Welcome to LMF.......

Tell them if you take care of it, a Murray is a good machine.....PLEASE.....I'm getting tired of doing it alone.......:laughing:

H

hoehappa

MURRAY = POS

mystreba

mystreba

MURRAY = POS

Hoehappa - why do you dislike Murray so much? Bad experience with one?

twall

twall

Hoehappa - why do you dislike Murray so much? Bad experience with one?

Maybe it's the lawn mower 'poor people' use, and he is SOO much better than that.

Maybe He's like the (pick your car brand here) hater because he's owned one or two (or his uncle's friend's brother-in law did).....and therefore, based on his BROAD experience with the marque, thinks he has every right to denounce the whole lineup, and call anyone who owns one an idiot.

I don't know why people gotta be haters like that. If you don't like them, fine.....but don't jump in against someone just for mentioning them. :rolleyes: If you hate them so bad, I'd think you'd steer clear of any thread that says the name. Like I usually do whenever the three letters Z-T-R come up. I don't jump all over them and call them bandwagon yuppies, now do I?

But, no......there have to be haters.....:frown:

mystreba

mystreba

I don't know why people gotta be haters like that. If you don't like them, fine.....but don't jump in against someone just for mentioning them.:

I think it's fine if someone doesn't like a particular brand, but it would be good to have more information. If the person who's owned a particular car doesn't like that car, we could all benefit from knowing why they had such a bad experience.

Otherwise, it's just an opinion. And opinions are like....

oops, I forgot - no swearing :rolleyes:

twall

twall

I think it's fine if someone doesn't like a particular brand, but it would be good to have more information. If the person who's owned a particular car doesn't like that car, we could all benefit from knowing why they had such a bad experience.

Otherwise, it's just an opinion. And opinions are like....

oops, I forgot - no swearing :rolleyes:

Well, one person's strong opinions because they got a lemon does not Consumer Reports make. :biggrin:

I

ihc_444

Bless you!!!! Welcome to LMF.......

Tell them if you take care of it, a Murray is a good machine.....PLEASE.....I'm getting tired of doing it alone.......:laughing:

My Mom is still mowing with the 11HP B&S Murray that Dad bought new in 1985 (to replace a 1976 Sears, which still runs by the way but eats mower belts like candy corn). We hauled the little Murray home in a crate and put the wheels, steering wheel and deck on in the driveway. It has gone through a deck but still has the original engine (only oil and spark plugs changed), transmission and tires.

They will treat you as good as you treat them. And as for the deck, it was only $30 bucks more than replacing the spindles and a lot easier.

My 1999 widebody has also had the deck replaced but my house is/was on "Rolling Acres" and the name is fitting. The quick leveling mechanism tended to droop after several uses. When I replaced the deck I leveled and drilled holes in the brackets and bolted it in place. It still has height adjustment but the plastic wing nuts for the deck leveling are history.

Prior to the Murray widebodys I had a Lowe's brand. I think was made my MTD. It was fine but only a 38" cut. We had 3 1/2 acres (rolling) so I upgraged to the 42" widebody in '98 (hydro drive) then when I got married and found that my wife enjoyed mowing I got a 46" manual transmission widebody in '99. Both still run and mow great. We moved on a section of my grandparents farm 4 years ago and team mow our place and theirs (about 3-4 acres but nice and level!). My Uncle gave me his old John Deere LX178 so the manual Murray sits a lot. My wife complains that we have a two car garage but can't even get one car in it!

B

Black Bart

If u were smart in this area u would know "good and bad" plus I garuntee u never worked on a murray.....I own several riders and a lot of small engines,and run a Murray 18.5hp twin 46" inch deck commercially for 3yrs mowing over 15 acres a week and have never had a problem, u just have to know how to run and maintain riders,small engines etc. And if u r impling deeres as "good" than ur outta ur mind,cause Deere has terrible designs,trust me if worked on them for years
:laughing:Thanks Opposed Twin you provided me with a good laugh today.

Their is a good reason Murray went out of business they could no longer sell their crap.:thumbdown:

twall

twall

:laughing:Thanks Opposed Twin you provided me with a good laugh today.

Their is a good reason Murray went out of business they could no longer sell their crap.:thumbdown:

Whatever, dude. :rolleyes:

Of course, you have high dollar names under your username....Grasshopper and JD.....Why am I not surprised you enjoy picking on Murray?

twall

twall

Muhammad,

In the last three months (my tenure here), there have been TONS of threads referring to Murray. Yet there STILL is no Murray forum. People have joined with it in their username, started threads about them, etc. yet there is STILL no Murray forum.

Four or five threads about professional lawn care in three weeks, and BOOM! They have their own forum.

Are you concerned that the Murray folks will get jumped all over faster by John Deere, Cub Cadet, and ZTR owners if they have their own forum? Or do your share their dislike for the brand, and just not want to blight your site with the name? :wink:

Love them or loathe them, they are as much a part of the lawn mowing community as anyone, and their numbers are not insignifigant.

K

KennyV

Love them or loathe them, they are as much a part of the lawn mowing community as anyone, and their numbers are not insignifigant.

I would place the Murray as the VW of mowers... Very affordable, very dependable, and millions of them around... well maybe not any more for the VW or Murray... but they sure do get talked about a LOT... and more than a few are converted to yard tow tractors. or trail pack mules... they definitely were on the big boom years of rider mowers... :smile:KennyV

O

Oddball

My dad bought a Murray push mower w/ 5HP B&S from K-Mart back in the late 1970s. He and I both used it until 1998 when I decided to get a new self propelled mower. The only thing ever done to that mower aside from regular maintenance was I replaced the wheels about a year before I gave it away. It was still running then, just getting hard to start and I didn't want to fool with trying to figure out what was wrong with a 28 year old mower that only cost about $39.95 brand new. The Murray and the ancient Craftsman mower that it replaced were the only two mowers my dad ever owned as far as I know. He bought his first house in 1959 I believe, and died in 2001, so 2 mowers in 42 years of home ownership and grass cutting. I'd say he got his money's worth out of both.

twall

twall

I think what hurt Murray the most was the almost simultaneous bankruptcy of Agway and Central Tractor (for whom and through whom they distributed A LOT of product). Wal Mart just couldn't fill the void. Sears went to someone who could do it cheaper. TSC went with MTD's Huskee brand. It's a cut-throat world. If not for Cub Cadet, MTD would have suffered the same fate.

'Cause MTD makes just as cheap a mower as Murray did, in MOST of it's lines. Stuff THAT in your pipe, Cub elitists! In most cases, a MTD is indistiguishable from a Murray. So to have any modern era Cub enthusist trash Murray is always a laughable irony....

mystreba

mystreba

and millions of them around... well maybe not any more for the VW or Murray...

There are TONS of VW's around - I know, because every time I take my kids anywhere I come home with a sore arm from them punching it all the time :rolleyes:

K

KennyV

There are TONS of VW's around - I know, because every time I take my kids anywhere I come home with a sore arm from them punching it all the time :rolleyes:

Ha ha... SlugBug... I remember that... Not as many VW's as there use to be... :smile:KennyV

I

ILENGINE

Murray was originally designed to be a cut price box store mower to be sold through walmart. When manufacturing cost rose walmart refused to bargain on a higher price to them. Walmart has a tendency to go to a manufacturer wanting a products and they stipulate the sell price and the price they pay them. Walmart bankrupted roadmaster bicycle company about 10 years ago by ordering 1 million bikes and since roadmaster didn't make the shipment quota walmart didn't even have to pay for the already shipped bikes because that was a contract stipulation.

B

Black Bart

Murray was originally designed to be a cut price box store mower to be sold through walmart. When manufacturing cost rose walmart refused to bargain on a higher price to them. Walmart has a tendency to go to a manufacturer wanting a products and they stipulate the sell price and the price they pay them. Walmart bankrupted roadmaster bicycle company about 10 years ago by ordering 1 million bikes and since roadmaster didn't make the shipment quota walmart didn't even have to pay for the already shipped bikes because that was a contract stipulation.
This is true with everything Wal-Mart buys not just lawn mowers.

I'm retired now but for 42 years I was in the trucking business and when a company wanted something hauled they would call and say we have X number of load per day going from point A to point B what would you charge to haul it.

Wal-Mart calls and Say's we have X number of loads going from A to B and this is what we will pay are you interested.

If someone had a lot of trucks that were not busy they would think it was a chance to keep them working but they would wind up broke.

Wal-Mart is a cheap A$$ outfit.

twall

twall

Wal-Mart is a cheap A$$ outfit.

True, but it's this practice that allows them to [just barely] undercut any and all competition when it comes to price, yet maintain a HUGE profit margin.

With money tighter than ever, that's why they are still the retail kings. Like it or don't, it's just the truth.

K

KennyV

Any good business will make contracts in order to STAY in business... WalMart is one of the places that make their deals for that reason.. to stay in business...

& from grocery's to lawn & garden they generally have the price and have the item... :smile:KennyV

B

Black Bart

Wal-Mart is good if you are the consumer not so good if you are the one supplying them with a product or service.

twall

twall

Wal-Mart is good if you are the consumer not so good if you are the one supplying them with a product or service.

Well, who's it all about? I was always taught that, in business, it's always about the customer. The capital goes TO the products and services, and it comes FROM the customer! So, you try and give the LEAST for products and services, and get the MOST you can from the customer. (but, you need to KEEP customers, so you charge every penny that they're willing to pay - not one cent more or less)

THIS is Capitalism......welcome to America!

K

KennyV

I think the majority of the folks around are customers... very , very few suppliers are large enough to contract with the Walton group.. Those that do must know what they are doing... & there must be enough of them because that's one place that rarely runs out of anything... and they sell a lot of anythings...
They DO move some consumer goods... and mowers. :smile:KennyV

J

jakesmurray

I've got a Murray push mower and a Murray riding mower and they both never miss a beat. They each get about 5 hours of use a week. As long as they've got Briggs engines, they're good!

T

tsarbomba

I have a Murray 5725 riding mower (30 in cut, 8hp Tecumseh) that I am working on. This is a rear engine rider. Trying to take the fuel tank off. Got the obvious screws out on top and the tank is quite loose but it seems to still be held in place by the oil filler tube, which (ingeniously) is bolted behind the gas tank. Tried taking the engine shroud off but it too appears to have a bolt behind the gas tank. Does anyone know the secret? combination for taking this gas tank off? Or should I just use a sledgehammer?

T

tsarbomba

Allright...got the tank off. A really igmo method by Murray for holding the gas tank on. Had to pry the gas tank away from the engine while prying the oil filler tube towards the engine and pulling like mad. Idiots.
:thumbdown:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Allright...got the tank off. A really igmo method by Murray for holding the gas tank on. Had to pry the gas tank away from the engine while prying the oil filler tube towards the engine and pulling like mad. Idiots.
:thumbdown:

Glad you got it off! :thumbsup: