MTD Yardman Pulley Removal.

hs5424

Threads
I see 3 listed of different thicknesses . Whats the procedure in selecting and fitting. I take it that its got to do with crank end play ?????. The one that is .015 is listed as standard. My engine is year 95 ( code 951215ZB ). Maybe I can make one with .015 paper.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am not a fan of silicon anywhere on an engine.
Takes longer to apply properly and 100 times longer to remove than a real gasket
Axle grease on the crankcase side and your favourite joining compound ( I use Hylomar blue ) on the sump side.
Thus the gasket will always strip off clean.
Same story for the rocker cover .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes it is all about end play which should be just perceptable.
I can not give you a number without the engine numbers requested previously.
THe alloy will expand more than the crank shaft so the running clearance will open up once the engine is hot .
Some are full pressure feed , some have pressure feed just to the big end .

hs5424

Threads
My engine is old type splash feed. No oil pump.

hs5424

Threads
BTW,
As I await the parts delivery I am wondering if it is a good idea to check the valves and maybe re-seat them.
Any idea about the valve clearance settings on this machine as it is fixed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got to this thread and download the manual
The valves are set by grinding the seats to close the gap or grinding the end of the valves to close them up.
L heads tend to close & OHV ones tend to open
We really need those engine numbers to prevent you getting duff information
other post

hs5424

Threads
Hi,
That makes sense. Never thought about how to adjust the valve clearance in my engine setup. My full engine details are28D707 type 0123-01 code 951215ZB ( or Z8 ).
Did you post the link to the manual.
Thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not guilty on the manual charge your honour
I don't use any cloud basd anything if I can avoid it
The manual gives numbers for both springs fitted & spring not fitted.
I have never had any luck using the spring not fitted clerances.
Ane when I said grin the stem I really meant touch up with a diamond or oil stone

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
HS5424, click on the "other post" link in post #16 and you will the manual link I post in that thread.

I know I guilty of that charge, Bert but if you want to serve my time I let you;).

The manual I posted is directly from Briggs Power Portal that I maintain on my Google drive for my forum members of the forum that I administrate. Many of those members do not have access the Power Portal. I do have few of the latest manuals, APSI, SB, and DSB that I haven't posted to my public section but they stored in private directory on the drive. I also use One Drive for temporary manual posts. Those I usually only make available for a couple days then I delete them. Both of these drives are backups on my in house system most important files.

On the valve stems I usually file them squarely but I have also have a fine grind stone on my grinder that can grind and polish the stems. Go from zero to .011 can take time with the last couple thousandths being sneak up on.

hs5424

Threads
Thanks StarTech
I will take a look now.
I think the manual in post # 16 is for a different type engine. I stand corrected ??????.

UPDATE.
I sent an email to Briggs and Stratton via their website and to my surprise I got a response in about 2 hours with the valve clearance measurements for my engine.

Last edited: