Mower Throwing Up Lots Of Grass Clippings After Gator Blades Installed

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Mower Throwing Up Lots Of Grass Clippings After Gator Blades Installed
Gator G3, G5, and G6 blades are not intended to be used on shallow stamped mower decks.
There is what is called a mulching blade which has a two step cutting edge and these are standard equipment on many lawn tractor machines or optional otherwise.
G6 Gator blades are 3" wide, G5 and G3 are 2 1/2" wide and produce too much airflow for contoured shallow stamped decks.
With the OEM part number of a blade, you can go to the Oregon website and get a cross reference to Oregon blades if they are available.

You can use the G3 and G5 on residential mowers and the G3 will work on a stamped deck. The G6 is the only one you can't use on a residential mower.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put round hole blades on decks with "star" spindles?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
So I am wondering - are Gator blades a style of blade OR a specific manufacturer?

If you don't have the information or part numbers the 125 page download can be real useful because it gives you the Oregon Part numbers plus your OEM numbers, blade length the weight and thickness of your blade, lift and some other info. Basically every thing you need to know to know what blades will work.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So I am wondering - are Gator blades a style of blade OR a specific manufacturer?

Oregon designed and patented the Gator blade.
Naturally a lot of other blade makers and blade wholesalers stole the design and got them made in China for all the penny pinchers who will not pay anyone a fair price for their hard work.

Because Gators were the first on the market all tooted blades tend to be referred to as Gators.

Oregon makes Gators
XHT makes Predators
Stens markets Silver Streaks
Raptors & Chop Chops have no manufacturers name on them nor any part numbers so I guess they are another "make 1000 that look like this" from China.

Silver Streaks are a disaster as the end flute is too weak and breaks off leaving the blade unbalanced so after replacing them with real Gators and doing gratis spindle bearing replacements I no longer stock them.
Predators I II III & IV are distributed down here by Jackmax , I fell out with the rep so never had a chance to try them. However they look almost identical to Silver Streaks in flute design so it might have been for the better.
A few of my commercial customers run Gators so I only stock the blades they use.
My predecessor loved Gators and pushed them hard.
Most of the residential decks & spindles suffered greatly from using the Gators.
All of the 3 bolt AYP spindles have fractured, they just can't handle the extra forces the blades blades exert.
The older Murray decks ( pre MTD ) cracked & split every where and most of the pressed decks left clumps of grass on the customers lawn, probably too shallow.
Now there are a lot of variables in this sample but most have gone back to std blades and are getting better results and less deck / belt failures.

jsurpless

Threads
OK, took me a while to get a good picture where I could read the model # but I finally found it...

Looks like it's 596 900 ON

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK, took me a while to get a good picture where I could read the model # but I finally found it...

Looks like it's 596 900 ON

Oregon Part Number: 596-900 Replaces Sears 127-843, 131-323, 138-498, 138-791 and 138-971
It's a G5 21" blade with a 5pt star and 1" lift 3.00 wide.

Last edited:

jsurpless

Threads
Oregon Part Number: 596-900 Replaces Sears 127-843, 131-323, 138-498, 138-791 and 138-971
It's a G5 21" blade with a 5pt star and 1" lift 3.00 wide.

How do I figure out what OEM blades my tractor uses?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
How do I figure out what OEM blades my tractor uses?

What year is the mower? Is it the T2200? The thing is the OEM blade your mower uses can be any of the ones I listed in the previous post and they will fit a number of different mowers.

Last edited: