Mower Throwing Up Lots Of Grass Clippings After Gator Blades Installed

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Mower Throwing Up Lots Of Grass Clippings After Gator Blades Installed
I did get a receipt but I don't see anything on it besides "gator blades"...

How do you measure the depth of the deck? Is it this (see attached pic) yellow line?

Are these the blades I want? Sears.com

Thanks!

If you look on the end of the blade on the bottom there should be a six digit number write it down and go to the Oregon site and look it up and find out what mower they are for before you buy anything else. If your mower is a Sears it's made by either Husqvarna or MTD most likely Husqvarna. MTD makes most all sears ztr mowers. Your deck is going to be a 4 inch deck.

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric- "I've got a Sears Craftsman 19HP, 42" Mower (917.20381)"

(Correct me if I'm wrong) But a 917 is a craftsman lawn tractor. Least my old one was. So BTS is gonna be way slower & deck depth will be about 4 inches.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric- "I've got a Sears Craftsman 19HP, 42" Mower (917.20381)"

(Correct me if I'm wrong) But a 917 is a craftsman lawn tractor. Least my old one was. So BTS is gonna be way slower & deck depth will be about 4 inches.

I'm not sure of what your asking in the first part of your question because he said it was a Sears Craftsman. and yes that's what were talking about. The BTS is going to be way to slow for the G5 blades he is using and his deck has a 4 inch cutting height so I would guess it is going to be a 4 inch deck.

The problem in a nut shell is he has to much blade for the mower. Most of those lawn tractors are going to have blades with a total of like 7 inches of cutting surface and the G5 has between 13 and 14 inches of cutting surface, he is cutting more grass than the deck can handle and he doesn't have the BTS to discharge the grass properly. If the G3 would do a better job or not would only be a guess, personally I go back to the regular mulching blades if it were me.

gainestruk

Threads
If I remember right the G3 blades are 2.5" wide and G5 are 3" wide.
I have a set of G5 blades on my Husqvarna RZ4623 Z-Turn with stamped deck and they work great, you might try cutting grass shorter mine is set 2 3/4 to 3 inches, I get some blow up of grass but not anywhere as much as you.
I do have a mulching plug on my deck.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I remember right the G3 blades are 2.5" wide and G5 are 3" wide.
I have a set of G5 blades on my Husqvarna RZ4623 Z-Turn with stamped deck and they work great, you might try cutting grass shorter mine is set 2 3/4 to 3 inches, I get some blow up of grass but not anywhere as much as you.
I do have a mulching plug on my deck.

Actually the G3 are 2.50mm wide and they have 25.4mm lift and 0.203mm thick. They probably would work a little better on the ZTR than the Tractor because the BTS on the ztr will be a little higher. Gator Blades work best when removing up to like an 1 1/2 inch of grass or basically removing no more than 1/3 the total height of the grass.

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you look on the end of the blade on the bottom there should be a six digit number write it down and go to the Oregon site and look it up and find out what mower they are for before you buy anything else. If your mower is a Sears it's made by either Husqvarna or MTD most likely Husqvarna. MTD makes most all sears ztr mowers. Your deck is going to be a 4 inch deck.

Ric- when you posted this, I was figured you thought he had a Z.

So I quoted his words, but the quotes didn't show up. (sorry for the confusion).

jsurpless

Threads

I tried looking under the blade but couldn't see any number... is it only on one side? Any picture that might help?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I tried looking under the blade but couldn't see any number... is it only on one side? Any picture that might help?

IMG_1700.JPG

It's on the bottom of the blade at the end, just one side or end.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gator G3, G5, and G6 blades are not intended to be used on shallow stamped mower decks.
There is what is called a mulching blade which has a two step cutting edge and these are standard equipment on many lawn tractor machines or optional otherwise.
G6 Gator blades are 3" wide, G5 and G3 are 2 1/2" wide and produce too much airflow for contoured shallow stamped decks.
With the OEM part number of a blade, you can go to the Oregon website and get a cross reference to Oregon blades if they are available.

jsurpless

Threads
Gator G3, G5, and G6 blades are not intended to be used on shallow stamped mower decks.
There is what is called a mulching blade which has a two step cutting edge and these are standard equipment on many lawn tractor machines or optional otherwise.
G6 Gator blades are 3" wide, G5 and G3 are 2 1/2" wide and produce too much airflow for contoured shallow stamped decks.
With the OEM part number of a blade, you can go to the Oregon website and get a cross reference to Oregon blades if they are available.

So I am wondering - are Gator blades a style of blade OR a specific manufacturer?