Buying Advice Maybe buying a new Gravely "pro turn 48"

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow! You must have read my mind!! I was thinking about cleaning the underside of the deck just this evening and I was going to ask how you clean your mower deck and how often you do it. I really want to take care of my new toy...

It will be stored in a utility shed I have out back as there won't be room for it in the garage. (Yes I am one of the few people in Florida that actually keeps cars in the garage). I will have to run an electrical service to the shed so I can dehumidify it. The salt air and humidity here eats up everything!

I also stocked up on plenty of ethanol free 90 octane gas for the Gravely and the rest of my lawn and garden equipment. (I also use it in my motorcycle). I really don't like some of the things I have read about the negative effects of ethanol on engines that aren't used daily, especially anything with a carburetor. I know there are additives to deal with ethanol but why bother when there is a station that sells the ethanol free stuff nearby.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow and ask about the MoJack as well as the mulch kit. If it works on your Kentucky Fescue it should work really well on my St. Augustine (What most folks up north consider crab grass)... I also found several tow behind dethacthers on line as well as some plug aerators I would like to add to my lawn arsenal so I will need the towing attachment as well.

Today was a beach day for me and the wife so I didn't get a chance to take any pictures before it got dark but I will post them soon!

JJ

When I first used my Pro Turn 152 last Fall and early this Spring there really wasn't any buildup underneath the deck(just a "green stain"). As the middle of the growing season approached, I noticed a slight buildup in a few areas and I just used a wide putty knife with the deck raised all the way up. I've only used the mulch kit the one time(and the grass was VERY wet) but I had to use a hose to spray the clipping buildup from underneath the deck after letting it cool down. I may have to clean underneath the deck more with the mulch kit ongoing, but a couple of more mowings without the grass so wet will reveal that need.

I don't know whether your dealer will carry the MoJack or not, but I'll paste a link to Lowes at the bottom for you to see what they look like(they also sell them at TSC I think). You will find that jack invaluable for sharpening blades, etc. Looking forward to some pictures!!!! Here's that link:

Shop MoJack Tractor Lift at Lowes.com

jonesandjones

Threads
When I first used my Pro Turn 152 last Fall and early this Spring there really wasn't any buildup underneath the deck(just a "green stain"). As the middle of the growing season approached, I noticed a slight buildup in a few areas and I just used a wide putty knife with the deck raised all the way up. I've only used the mulch kit the one time(and the grass was VERY wet) but I had to use a hose to spray the clipping buildup from underneath the deck after letting it cool down. I may have to clean underneath the deck more with the mulch kit ongoing, but a couple of more mowings without the grass so wet will reveal that need.

I don't know whether your dealer will carry the MoJack or not, but I'll paste a link to Lowes at the bottom for you to see what they look like(they also sell them at TSC I think). You will find that jack invaluable for sharpening blades, etc. Looking forward to some pictures!!!! Here's that link:

Shop MoJack Tractor Lift at Lowes.com

Thanks for the link!! My dealer sent me to the local Harbor Freight Store and I picked up something called a High Lift Mower Jack. It looks just like the MoJack and it was on the shelf. It seems to be sturdy enough and I have a 90 day warranty. If I'm not satisfied with it I'll return it and order a Mojack from Lowes.

My wife has been working late all week so I am attempting to attach the pictures of the new mower myself. Hopefully it will work so here goes!!!

By the way, check out the size of those caster bearings! They must be 2" in diameter... Definitely heavy duty!

JJ

Attachments

• IMG-20130905-00018.jpg
    IMG-20130905-00018.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Glades-20130905-00023.jpg
    Glades-20130905-00023.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-20130905-00019.jpg
    IMG-20130905-00019.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG-20130905-00014.jpg
    IMG-20130905-00014.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20130905-00021.jpg
    IMG-20130905-00021.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-20130905-00016.jpg
    IMG-20130905-00016.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-20130905-00017.jpg
    IMG-20130905-00017.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20130905-00022.jpg
    IMG-20130905-00022.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 52

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the link!! My dealer sent me to the local Harbor Freight Store and I picked up something called a High Lift Mower Jack. It looks just like the MoJack and it was on the shelf. It seems to be sturdy enough and I have a 90 day warranty. If I'm not satisfied with it I'll return it and order a Mojack from Lowes.

My wife has been working late all week so I am attempting to attach the pictures of the new mower myself. Hopefully it will work so here goes!!!

By the way, check out the size of those caster bearings! They must be 2" in diameter... Definitely heavy duty!

JJ

You dun good(on both the posting of the pictures.....and....on the purchase of that Gravely:0)
You're gonna enjoy mowing for many years to come!!!!!!!
And yeah, the Harbor Freight jack is very similar to the MoJack and has the same rating. You should be pleased with how easy that will make it when you need to get underneath the deck for blade sharpening, etc. It sure helped when I put the mulch kit on last weekend!!!!

Threads

JJ

That looks VERY nice! :thumbsup:

jonesandjones

Threads
That looks VERY nice! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

I can't wait to get some of the accessories!

In the mean time I will be working on my 1999 Husky tractor and my old 1997 Ariens 21" walk behind. I really should sell the tractor to help pay for the Gravely but it's in such good shape I hate to part with it!!!

I'll use the Ariens for the real tight spots...

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks!

I can't wait to get some of the accessories!

In the mean time I will be working on my 1999 Husky tractor and my old 1997 Ariens 21" walk behind. I really should sell the tractor to help pay for the Gravely but it's in such good shape I hate to part with it!!!

I'll use the Ariens for the real tight spots...

jj,

Yeah, so far I've "invested" in a sunshade(don't have any pics here at work) and I really like it. Of course, you mentioned "snagging" the ROPS and I was going to suggest loweering it into the 90 degree setting. But with my sunshade I can't do that. I also installed an "aftermarket" light kit(and there's a thread, I'll come back and post a link to for you if you anticipate mowing after dark......mine's a LOT less expensive thaan the Gravely light kit and works great). Last "toy" I just bought for mine was the Gravely mulch kit....and I absolutely love it(and highly recommend it)!!! My dealer sold it to me at the 2012 price($150) and it's now around $185(but well worth it...I'll post another link to a striping thread where i posted some pics....it gave my Gravely give a "mild striping look" cut). I still may invest in one more toy...the Gravely hex striper kit. Enjoy that Pro-Turn cause you're gonna love it!!!!

Here's a link to the ZTR light kit I installed:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/build-yourself/18564-ztr-light-kit.html

Here's a link to the thread where I posted some pics of my lawn after installing my mulch kit:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/comme.../19367-striping-gotta-love-12.html#post130481

Last edited by a moderator:

jonesandjones

Threads
jj,

Yeah, so far I've "invested" in a sunshade(don't have any pics here at work) and I really like it. Of course, you mentioned "snagging" the ROPS and I was going to suggest loweering it into the 90 degree setting. But with my sunshade I can't do that. I also installed an "aftermarket" light kit(and there's a thread, I'll come back and post a link to for you if you anticipate mowing after dark......mine's a LOT less expensive thaan the Gravely light kit and works great). Last "toy" I just bought for mine was the Gravely mulch kit....and I absolutely love it(and highly recommend it)!!! My dealer sold it to me at the 2012 price($150) and it's now around $185(but well worth it...I'll post another link to a striping thread where i posted some pics....it gave my Gravely give a "mild striping look" cut). I still may invest in one more toy...the Gravely hex striper kit. Enjoy that Pro-Turn cause you're gonna love it!!!!

Here's a link to the ZTR light kit I installed:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/build-yourself/18564-ztr-light-kit.html

Here's a link to the thread where I posted some pics of my lawn after installing my mulch kit:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/comme.../19367-striping-gotta-love-12.html#post130481
:cool:

Wow!

What a beautiful lawn! That Gravely looks like it's never been used! Really nice set up!!! I have to admit I am little jealous of that full suspension seat. I guess the knob in front of the seat is for lumbar adjustment/support. Really nice!!!

I love the lights and considering our 98 degree days with 99% humidity down here, mowing after dark sounds like a real good idea! I'll definitely add them to my toy list. That said I think the first add on will be the trailer hitch and then the mulch kit. I'll install the lights later as daylight savings time draws to an end. I'm not sure how well the striper kit will work on our St. Augustine lawns but I really like the look. I'll ask my dealer about it. I'll keep you posted on the add ons as I install them.

It looks like you have the discharge chute stowed on top of the deck. The dealer didn't explain how that works but when I saw the locking pin and small cable attached to the chute I figured there must have been a way to store it while using the mulch kit.

We have had several days of heavy rain here but hopefully things will clear up by the weekend so I will be able to use the new mower again. I've actually been looking at ways to get rid of some landscaping so I will have more lawn to mow!

Thanks again for all the great advise and especially for the Gravely recommendation!!!

JJ

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Wow!

What a beautiful lawn! That Gravely looks like it's never been used! Really nice set up!!! I have to admit I am little jealous of that full suspension seat. I guess the knob in front of the seat is for lumbar adjustment/support. Really nice!!!

I love the lights and considering our 98 degree days with 99% humidity down here, mowing after dark sounds like a real good idea! I'll definitely add them to my toy list. That said I think the first add on will be the trailer hitch and then the mulch kit. I'll install the lights later as daylight savings time draws to an end. I'm not sure how well the striper kit will work on our St. Augustine lawns but I really like the look. I'll ask my dealer about it. I'll keep you posted on the add ons as I install them.

It looks like you have the discharge chute stowed on top of the deck. The dealer didn't explain how that works but when I saw the locking pin and small cable attached to the chute I figured there must have been a way to store it while using the mulch kit.

We have had several days of heavy rain here but hopefully things will clear up by the weekend so I will be able to use the new mower again. I've actually been looking at ways to get rid of some landscaping so I will have more lawn to mow!

Thanks again for all the great advise and especially for the Gravely recommendation!!!

JJ

The knob on the front of the suspension seat adjusts to the weight of the rider to increase/decrease the ride tension and works well. Gravely has a cheaper "flap type' striper kit that attaches across the back edge of the deck, but it would be on "full time". I like the hex striper because you can engage/disengage it(I probably wouldn't want to stripe my back yard). I think you would be happy with the better quality cut the mulch kit provides....I am!! Yeah, the chute storage on the deck is kinda nice(especially since it isn't needed when a mulch kit is installed). Your more than welcome for any advise I've given that you have found to be useful!!

RustyBoy

Threads

Wow!

JJ

Hello,

I also live in Florida and have St. Augustine grass in good shape. Would you please elaborate on a couple of questions. I too have a bad back and I'm really concerned about the rough ride. I was thinking of buying the ZT HD model and tried it out - it was too bumpy on Bahia grass and although I don't have that grass, the ride was too rough for me to even consider. So I would have to add the suspension seat kit and hopefully that would help a lot on that model but just don't know. But I see that your model, the Pro-Turn, has the integrated suspension seat. Are you getting a smooth ride out of that seat??? Do you know how your integrated suspension seat would compare to the suspension seat kit for the Zt HD? And is the jack you bought good for changing the blades? Lastly, are you very happy with your Gravely Pro Turn as I'm thinking about upgrading to the Pro Turn but just not sure if the ZT HD is sufficient and comfortable for my 1 1/2 acre lot. Thanks for any input you can provide.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello,

I also live in Florida and have St. Augustine grass in good shape. Would you please elaborate on a couple of questions. I too have a bad back and I'm really concerned about the rough ride. I was thinking of buying the ZT HD model and tried it out - it was too bumpy on Bahia grass and although I don't have that grass, the ride was too rough for me to even consider. So I would have to add the suspension seat kit and hopefully that would help a lot on that model but just don't know. But I see that your model, the Pro-Turn, has the integrated suspension seat. Are you getting a smooth ride out of that seat??? Do you know how your integrated suspension seat would compare to the suspension seat kit for the Zt HD? And is the jack you bought good for changing the blades? Lastly, are you very happy with your Gravely Pro Turn as I'm thinking about upgrading to the Pro Turn but just not sure if the ZT HD is sufficient and comfortable for my 1 1/2 acre lot. Thanks for any input you can provide.

Rustyboy,

User jonesandjones has the regular Pro-Turn and I believe the suspension seat on his has the dampening isolators similar to the upgrade kit for the ZT HD. Hopefully he will respond and give you some feedback, otherwise I would suggest you send him a private message directly in case he isn't getting emails on this thread any longer. From what JJ said about the Harbor Freight jack it would do fine for changing blades, etc. I have the MoJack(the small EZ Lift model) and it also does a fine job(I used it to r & r my blades when I installed my mulch kit. I got an amazing deal on my 2012 Pro-Turn 100 XDZ(in the Fall, just before the dealer got the 2013 models in) and it has the full suspension seat(it has a VERY smooth ride). With the price increases over the last two years industry-wide I probably couldn't afford mine if I looked at a new one today(they are close to $8K.....almost $2k more than I paid OTD). Personally I think for mowing 1.5 acres(would take you maybe 45 minutes on a 48") the regular suspension seat would suffice. I hope JJ gives you the skinny on that!!! You won't regret buying a Gravely!!!!!